LED bulbs for stock fog lamps

TJS

TJ’s TJ
Supporting Member
What are some suggestions for good LED bulbs that will fit into the original fog lamp housing? I like the way the original fog lamp housings look, but they suck lighting ANYTHING up. Any suggestions??

You could try Electrical Connections in Knoxville, TN. They have a lot of different applications of LED on their site and I’d bet you can find a suitable item to corrupt.

Edit: nope, I’m wrong. Seems they’ve shifted their focus to motorcycle only accessories.

Last edited:
You could try Electrical Connections in Knoxville, TN. They have a lot of different applications of LED on their site and I’d bet you can find a suitable item to corrupt.

Edit: nope, I’m wrong. Seems they’ve shifted their focus to motorcycle only accessories.
No biggie, thanks for checking

My recommendation would be to look for a LED fog lamp assembly. The issue with LED bulb retrofits is that with LEDs, the light is distributed differently than the halogen bulbs. The optics of the OE fog lamps assume that there will be a point light source in an exact location, something an LED bulb cannot quite mimic.

You will have better performance from an assembly because the reflector and lens are designed for the led bulbs. Not only that, it is less likely to have bright spots that blind oncoming traffic.

Improperly retrofitted LEDs can result in collisions due to the improper optics potentially blinding oncoming traffic. They can also result in a fix-it ticket.

There are fog lamp assemblies out there that use LEDs but look stock-ish.

Reactions: Mikester86
My recommendation would be to look for a LED fog lamp assembly. The issue with LED bulb retrofits is that with LEDs, the light is distributed differently than the halogen bulbs. The optics of the OE fog lamps assume that there will be a point light source in an exact location, something an LED bulb cannot quite mimic.

You will have better performance from an assembly because the reflector and lens are designed for the led bulbs. Not only that, it is less likely to have bright spots that blind oncoming traffic.

Improperly retrofitted LEDs can result in collisions due to the improper optics potentially blinding oncoming traffic. They can also result in a fix-it ticket.

There are fog lamp assemblies out there that use LEDs but look stock-ish.
+1000 on this! A friend of mine decided to put LED lamps in replacement of the halogens in his Pontiac G6. One headlight was illuminating the trees and the other was blinding oncoming traffic. He is obviously clueless, or just does not care.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Don't bother. As Steel City 06 said they don't work. You might try a brighter bulb. you can get 100 watt bulbs, but they will use more power.
Most LED fog lights aren't. They list them as "Fog, driving, flood, spot, work lights". They don't work as any of them very well.
There are plenty of aftermarket light available, too. Look at a good brand name like Hella or KC. I've got Hella 550 (rectangular), fog lights, and they work great with the 55 watt bulbs.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I actually installed the 100 watt KC halogen fog lights. They’re almost too bright to use. I was going to put 130 watt bulbs in them but I definitely won’t do that now.

The stock wiring is not rated for the 100 watt bulbs so I had to run a separate relay for the fogs.

There's a post around here from just recently that located LED bulbs for the stock foglights. And they supposedly work fine. I think Chris chimed in on it. You might ask him. I thought I saved the link. But I can't find it. I'll look around for the post.

Try this thread:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/amber-replacement-foglight-bulbs-with-stock-housing.17632/

Here's a review of the yellow lamps on amazon in that link above. Interesting.

"
5.0 out of 5 starsJeep TJ Fog Lamps
December 2, 2018
Size: Extreme Yellow XY - 55WStyle Name: Twin Plastic CaseVerified Purchase
The driving lights on the TJ are worthless. However, put these lamps into them and they become useful fog lamps. Should not use white lamps for fog, as the water droplets just reflect the light back into your face. Yellow light actually penetrates and lets you see a little further. It also lets others see you from farther away. Took about 10 minutes per side, as it is a pain to get the lamp off of a 2006 TJ. Hint, just use the open end wrench and take it off the bumper. Do Not Touch the lamp with your bare finger when installing!"