LED CB radio antennas

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Anyone out there using some sort of an LED light up CB antenna just like the LED whips I always see?

I would really like one because the kids would love it, and it would be cool for some of the nighttime off-roading I’ve been doing with the wife and kids.

Looking for suggestions. I currently have a 3’ Firestik antenna.

Any opinion on this @Jerry Bransford? I know you know comms pretty well.

Would LEDs around the antenna interfere with signals?
Anything added to the antenna can make it more difficult to tune. Even Firestik's vinyl tip cover dentunes the antenna to some extent. Especially anything with metal content like wiring and LED lights.

Anything added to the antenna can make it more difficult to tune. Even Firestik's vinyl tip cover dentunes the antenna to some extent. Especially anything with metal content like wiring and LED lights.

Bummer, I had a feeling that may be the case. It sounds like what I may have to do then is just get a lighted whip.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
With so many reports on the Internet and elsewhere of CB radio interference caused by cheap Chinese LED headlights and other LED add-ons in close proximity to CB antennas, and based upon my own observations of the negative effects of cheap Chinese LEDs on CB Tx and Rx, I would be very suspicious of the "bro" antenna you linked.

Citizen's Band uses AM (amplitude modulation) rather than FM (frequency modulation). As a result CB's pick up considerably more electrical noise/static, etc. than dual band ham radios and GMRS units that use FM technology. Cheap LEDs are electrically noisy suckers that would exacerbate the situation, especially if affixed to the CB antenna itself.

Does the vendor offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back?

With so many reports on the Internet and elsewhere of CB radio interference caused by cheap Chinese LED headlights and other LED add-ons in close proximity to CB antennas, and based upon my own observations of the negative effects of cheap Chinese LEDs on CB Tx and Rx, I would be very suspicious of the "bro" antenna you linked.

Citizen's Band uses AM (amplitude modulation) rather than FM (frequency modulation). As a result CB's pick up considerably more electrical noise/static, etc. than dual band ham radios and GMRS units that use FM technology. Cheap LEDs are electrically noisy suckers that would exacerbate the situation, especially if affixed to the CB antenna itself.

Does the vendor offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back?

Yeah, I think it's better if I just run a lighted whip instead. Of course hopefully that wouldn't interfere with the CB. It would be several feet away though.