LED headlight DRL issue

Striker27

So I got a set of Amazon LED head lights for my 2005 TJ and the issue I am having now is NO Drl’s. The lights don’t have an extra light so it is just a simple 3 spade connector like the factory unit. It is a Canadian Jeep if that matters. Is it possible to have the head lights work in a DRL manner as well or am I outta luck?? Not sure what happened or if this is a common issue?? Any help on how to rectify this from occurring would be great... Thanks.

Last edited:
Did you used to have DRL's? I don't on my '03, didn't think that was a thing on the TJ.

In any case the standard 3 wire connector is simply off/low/high. That's all it does. At least that's all mine does, I suppose a custom PCM could turn on low beams all the time. Otherwise DRL would be a separate connector. With aftermarket LEDs it's typically a halo or something like that.

I have the halo style, wired to turn on with the marker lights. It's a clear white ring that flashes amber with the turn signal on that side. That requires two additional wires spliced into the marker light. If you had such a headlight and wanted the halo as a DRL you'd have to wire it into the fuse box, spliced into something that always has power when the ignition is on.

Yea I had DRL’s when just the regular lights were in the Jeep. I received these yesterday and just put them in to the Jeep. Now no DRL’s. Weird. But it is only a 3 wire connector from the lights to the factory plug.

Yea I had DRL’s when just the regular lights were in the Jeep. I received these yesterday and just put them in to the Jeep. Now no DRL’s. Weird. But it is only a 3 wire connector from the lights to the factory plug.

Do your new lights use some kind of adapter to get to the factory three prong connector?

There is a DRL module on the firewall in the Canadian TJ. Double check to make sure that didn’t get unplugged somehow.

Not my image but this is what it looks like. It could be rotated 90° clockwise as well depending on the year.
8C20F435-4906-45CE-89B9-5875A7B07428.jpeg

Reactions: Chris
Yes, it's a common issue when trying to put LED headlights into car that came with halogens and DRL. The DRL module pulses the power on and off to the halogen bulb rapidly in order to run it at partial brightness.

LEDs don't work the same as halogens, cheaper LED assemblies don't account for this pulsing and either flickers on and off, stays on or stays off. There's not really a simple way to solve this... I believe the more premium LED assemblies account for this. Usually an anti flicker harness will stop the flickering, not sure if it would keep your DRLs on though.

I also have a Canadian 05 TJ, and I installed these WHDZ units off amazon. I have the same standard connector as you, and my DRLs do still work. Plugged straight into the factory harness. The only thing for me is that the DRLs are actually the high beams at some reduced power.

What headlights did you get?

I'm pretty sure there's an adapter you can get that fixes the flicker issue. I know you need those for the JK, didn't think the TJ had the issue, but if the Canadian models are using that same approach for DRLs then it should work for yours too.

Well then. Those look like the exact same as I've got. And mine work. We have just about identical vehicles and maybe identical headlights from the same seller. Mine work and yours don't.

There are two things I can think of that may be the reason:
1. We have the same make/model, but they made a revision.
2. You were sent counterfeits. Even though these are pretty much clones of TruckLite units, I'd guess there are opportunities for people to sell counterfeits as well.

Try reconnecting your stock headlights and see if they still have DRL function. If not, your DRL unit or some other electrics may have gone sideways just when you switched over. I doubt it happened, but it is possible.

How long have you had your lights? How are they holding up? I had to adjust my lights down a bit... other then that and the trim ring not fitting perfectly with the lights adjusted down. They work great.

How long have you had your lights? How are they holding up? I had to adjust my lights down a bit... other then that and the trim ring not fitting perfectly with the lights adjusted down. They work great.
I've had them for a bit over a year. To install, I had to take the entire mounting assembly out because one adjustment screw on each was seized, so I had to adjust them from the start. One trim ring was also busted, so I replaced that. The rings are definitely tighter on these than the originals, but I got them on fine. They've been doing great ever since.