LED headlight recommendations

egclassic

TJ Enthusiast
I know this is probably as bad as the "which oil & filter" threads, but can anyone recommend LED headlights that they HAVE and are happy with?
I bought a pair (Cheap Chinese stuff--Amazon) probably two-three years ago and have never been able to get them adjusted to my liking. They throw alot of light on low, however, it appears to be mostly directed on the ground right in front of the jeep. If I adjust them up, then I'm illuminating the tree tops and getting flashed. Seems to be no happy "middle" with this set. The high beams however are great. I prefer not to spend the $$$ for JW Speaker brand, as this is not my DD vehicle.
Thanks

unfortunately it's a game of you get what you pay for. I think the Chinese copies mostly copy the appearance without paying much attention to optics/beam pattern.

I have some in my LJ that are the Chinese ripoffs of Trucklite. I like them better than the JW Speaker ripoffs I had before them... they have some odd light and dark spots but the cutoff is good enough that I can aim them where they function and don't blind oncoming drivers. The aim was really weird to get that though...it's so far to one extreme that I have to adjust them way out to be able to get the trim bezel out.

I'd rather have something quality like a real Trucklite or KC, but I just haven't justified the expense yet.

I dare say 98% are Made offshore
The other 2% are likely “Assembled in the USA” with offshored components. So Made in China or Korea is likely the vast majority

Reactions: egclassic
my jeep came with these- I like having a DRL feature as I think that saved my butt a couple of times but as a headlight dont get these.

IMG_3725.png

Reactions: WestCoastDan
I'm sticking with halogens. They might not be as bright, but I HATE the bluish tint on LEDs. I just cannot see with them. I have H4 halogens with 80/ 100 watt bulbs, and I can see everything with them.
I agree on hating blue tinted LED headlights but they're also available with a pure white color too. Mine are pure white. You just have to make sure they have the right color temperature which for white is 5000K - 5500K. Blue is 6000K to 8000K.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I put these on our ‘03 about 6 years ago.
They still work great.

I can see these doing the same thing- The DRL coloring is good the rest of the light is too blue on the spectrum for me. In the snow &fog to scattered on the beam- definitely some personal preference in styling, I Am tempted to just go to the tried & true Hella with some upgraded h4 bulbs that I have used before…but then I still want the DRL. Something about our east/west running roads that line up with the rising and setting sun here that little extra light helps to be seen.

unfortunately it's a game of you get what you pay for. I think the Chinese copies mostly copy the appearance without paying much attention to optics/beam pattern.

I have some in my LJ that are the Chinese ripoffs of Trucklite. I like them better than the JW Speaker ripoffs I had before them... they have some odd light and dark spots but the cutoff is good enough that I can aim them where they function and don't blind oncoming drivers. The aim was really weird to get that though...it's so far to one extreme that I have to adjust them way out to be able to get the trim bezel out.

I'd rather have something quality like a real Trucklite or KC, but I just haven't justified the expense yet.

That's exactly where I'm at! Since I don't Daily drive the jeep, can't justify the expense for quality, LOL.

this truck light knock off was a impulse buy- good clean cutoff- gave this old truck some much better lighting but noticed a sliver of light escapes vertically- notice when something passes over head, bridge, tree etc. Still not sure I like the look of these either but i dont drive this truck much to warrant the costly upgrades- like I said late night impulse buy...

IMG_2958.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: tworley
I agree on hating blue tinted LED headlights but they're also available with a pure white color too. Mine are pure white. You just have to make sure they have the right color temperature which for white is 5000K - 5500K. Blue is 6000K to 8000K.

Too true. My problem is that if you find 5000K lights, they tend to CO$T a LOT. And most of the LEDs I've seen tested don't have as good a pattern as halogens, unless you go to the CO$TLY ones again.

I have actual trucklites and if they had an even pattern I would consider them to be perfect. But…they don’t. The pattern is patchy and at the very top there is a v shaped hot spot from each lens. I’ll be replacing them with Toyota h4s here soon.

I have two TJs. One has JW Speaker EVO 2s, and the other one has the Truck Lite knock offs. I do see a significant difference in the two; JWs for the win, but they are pricey.