Let’s see your garage lift

Pokahpolice

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The garage has been a long build but she’s just about completed. It’s a 28x30’ footprint with 16’ 5” ceiling and attic storage. Today, I finished the 4 post lift install. It’s a Bendpac 7500BLX. The goal was to be able to fit both my Jeep and my truck under/over each other which was a bit of a challenge because of the height and width of my Raptor. The truck is listed at 78” tall but mine sits at about 77”. The lift sits at 78” on the top lock. They advertise 82” of clearance but fail to tell you that isn’t practical clearance while storing... everyone knows you can’t leave a lift sitting off the locks. So as of today, it’s working but I’ll have to be super diligent to make sure not to add any height with tire changes. I literally only have about 1-1.5”.

For those that aren’t familiar with this type of lift, you can still use them as full service lifts by adding rolling scissor jacks. They aren’t cheap ($1500 a pop) but the setup is pretty slick. I went with 2 so I can store a vehicle plus have the full range of a 2 post (for the most part).

282E57FF-D4CA-42A4-BAF2-B2D2C3522EEE.jpeg
2BDD77AD-1ED6-4207-B6A4-D5176551656A.jpeg

Not only do I like the lift, I like the building!
It’s pretty much what I want to get built.

Was it a kit type building or stick built, and if you don’t mind me asking, what did the building cost, and the lift too.

Not only do I like the lift, I like the building!
It’s pretty much what I want to get built.

Was it a kit type building or stick built, and if you don’t mind me asking, what did the building cost, and the lift too.

Stick built by a contractor. I sort of got a package deal because I hired him to reside my house and replace all of the windows. The building cost was $42k which included everything... garage door openers, power, permits, Ext. I told him I didn’t want to deal with anything. The only up charge was I decided to add insulated doors after we started which were an additional $3500

The lift was $8300 delivered. That includes both jacks, airline kit, casters, and drip trays. Pricey but worth it IMHO.

Stick built by a contractor. I sort of got a package deal because I hired him to reside my house and replace all of the windows. The building cost was $42k which included everything... garage door openers, power, permits, Ext. I told him I didn’t want to deal with anything. The only up charge was I decided to add insulated doors after we started which were an additional $3500

The lift was $8300 delivered. That includes both jacks, airline kit, casters, and drip trays. Pricey but worth it IMHO.
That’s not bad at all, not for something that size.

Is the lift a 220v, or 110v hydraulic pump unit?

Considering the lift weight plus the vehicles, I assume it’s a 6” thick slab floor, or is it more?

I had the option to go with either 110v or 220v. I went with 220v because it almost doubled the lift time and the electrical isn’t done in the garage yet so it didn’t matter.

The manufacturer suggested 4” slab so I went with 5” all the way around. The four posts don’t need to be bolted down and can be moved with casters so having the entire slab thicker allows me to not worry about where I move it.

Are you planning to insulate the rest of the building? I'm jealous, I don't have room for anything like that and would love it.

Not immediately but yes, I’ll end up insulating it and finishing the walls in plywood. I’m already searching for better heating options. The 125,000 btu salamander doesn’t even take the edge off.

I had the option to go with either 110v or 220v. I went with 220v because it almost doubled the lift time and the electrical isn’t done in the garage yet so it didn’t matter.

The manufacturer suggested 4” slab so I went with 5” all the way around. The four posts don’t need to be bolted down and can be moved with casters so having the entire slab thicker allows me to not worry about where I move it.
Good plan. I’m totally jealous!

I’m planning a 6” slab because we’ve got some heavy equipment I’ll be servicing, and, if I can afford it, 440v service for my welding equipment and milling machine.

I’m sure you’re going to enjoy your new garage/shop! Good luck!

Reactions: Blondie70
Good plan. I’m totally jealous!

I’m planning a 6” slab because we’ve got some heavy equipment I’ll be servicing, and, if I can afford it, 440v service for my welding equipment and milling machine.

I’m sure you’re going to enjoy your new garage/shop! Good luck!
Thanks, I’ve waited 15years to build it so I’m pretty pumped. I’m going to town on the electrical. 220v for the lift on a long lead to be able to move with the lift. 220v outlet for a large compressor. Three 250v outlets for welder/plasma cutter, and 2 outside 30amp service for the campers...one on each side of the building so I can park it wherever I want to.

• Love
Reactions: Modoc Guy
That is tight. What is going on the other side? Work space? Lower the psi a bit in the raptor. Pick up another inch or two haha. I'm guessing the jeep is taller?

That is tight. What is going on the other side? Work space? Lower the psi a bit in the raptor. Pick up another inch or two haha. I'm guessing the jeep is taller?

If I need to, I can adjust the shock settings to get a bit lower. The Jeep sits about 2” lower than the truck.

Awesome lookin garage. I KICK myself every time I look at my garage and think DAMN I should have had it built with a taller ceiling so I could have installed a lift. But as they say hindsight is 20/20.

Reactions: Pokahpolice
Awesome lookin garage. I KICK myself every time I look at my garage and think DAMN I should have had it built with a taller ceiling so I could have installed a lift. But as they say hindsight is 20/20.

Thanks! I'm actually already wishing I went about 5 feet wider. I didn't consider the fact that due to the height of the ceiling, the stairs have to be done in 2 sections with a landing halfway up. They come about 3 feet into our parking space. My thought was, they would just be against the back wall but no way that was possible with the height. Still plenty of room but it makes things tighter than I wanted.

Reactions: Wildman
Awesome shop!!!

My neighbor built a drop down stair case in his ceiling... like a draw bridge. He used a small winch to lower it from the 20 foot ceilings so he didn’t lose floor space in his 40x80 finished pole barn 😳. We hung 280 sheets of drywall in that shop... I now hate drywall , but it might give you some ideas. Also you could put the stairs outside if it’s strictly storage.