Let my mistake be a guide for Jeep buyers!

Reidminer

TJ Enthusiast
Hello everyone!
So recently I was T-boned and unfortunately my 01 TJ was totaled. I had been on the hunt for a new one(TJ or LJ) for about two weeks when I found a beautiful 00 TJ sport with 10k in professional work with receipts for all of it, very very clean underneath and overall from talking to the owner it sounded like a great TJ with few issues.
I’ll attach a video, but it sits on Dana 44’s, 37’s and 4.88’s, warn front lockers and rubicon air locker(air locker not currently working), 4” mid arm lift, winch, raptor liner interior and bedrug carpets, bestop seats, and a bunch of other great stuff.
A bit of info that’s pertinent, I live in NY, and finding a TJ year Jeep up here in good condition regardless of mods is very very hard. So my search extended from NY to Maine to Georgia to Michigan and everywhere in between. This Jeep was at the top of the list for how well it seemed to be built and general condition....the catch? It was in NC. So I put a deposit down with a clause to keep me and him safe, and planned to buy it if all things went well in person, and drive it home.
So finally I fly down there and meet him and see the Jeep. I looked at every inch of that thing top to bottom and it was just what I was wanting to see. Only catch? A “slight” knocking coming from the engine bay. The owner had it only for a year, as he wanted it for a family fun rig but his family got bigger and it was just impractical to keep it. In the year he had it he only put about 900 miles on it, mostly city and light dirt road driving. So according to him he’s never had any issues regarding that noise and has even driven it multiple times on the highway at 70 with no problems. So hearing all this and knowing that well it could be an issue for sure, but something I could address when I got home and could have my magician of a mechanic look at it and determine how bad it is.
So I get him to knock the price down 1k, after I had got him down $750 from his original price already. Originally he was asking $11,750 so at this point I had him down to 10K.
we sign the title and bills of sale, and because it was a federal holiday(yea this just happened), banks were closed and he wanted to have access to the money for sure. So we set on PayPal as all research said we could transfer up to 60k...well we had trouble and I ended up only being able to pay him 8k altogether including the deposit I already made. We agreed that I’d pay the rest when the banks would allow and I went on my way

Here’s the fuck-up ladies and gentlemen. It’s 730 miles home from where I was. I got about 100 miles into it, doing great, knocking noise didn’t sound as bad and it holds wells at 70, straight as an arrow too...still in the state of NC, and the knocking noise intensified out of nowhere to a crazy degree. I limped it to a exit ramp about a mile away and shut it off. Through a series of calls to my mechanic inclined dad, we determined it must be something in the engine related to the pistons/that area. Called the PO, told him what happened and he called a tow truck, I found a shop about 3 miles away and thankfully my luck hadn’t totally left me that day.
Every single guy there was so helpful and kind and helped ease the situation for me. Just from hearing me turn the vehicle on for 5 seconds the owner of the shop said it was the wrist pins on the pistons. Told me we had a couple options and we determined a donor 4.0 with lower miles that had been gone though and made sure it runs properly would be the best and quickest way(as I need this vehicle to get to work lol). Total cost of donor engine, other parts, and labor? $2100. Called the PO and after a few minutes we agreed that we would call it even on payment.
As of now the old engine is out and the new(used) engine arrived today. Should be all buttoned up by Friday!

SO the lesson here to me at least I’d never ever underestimate the noises you hear when checking out a potential vehicle. If it’s something you can work around(wanting a fixer upper, trailering it home etc) then maybe not the case for you.
Below I’ll attach a video of the Jeep when I did a walk around of it...with the sound on you’ll be able to hear the noise plain as day and I fully expect the criticism coming in the comments hahaha

• Sad
Reactions: JMT
Hahah alright good point. I just didn’t want to go through that hassle, I’ll do that I guess

If you just upload the video to the site here anyone wanting to watch it has to down load it and when I'm having shitty weather a lot of times I can't download them. I don't know how many others out there are in my boat but it does make it easier.

And thanks & bummer about your engine. But it seems the PO was pretty square with you so that had to help things a little.

I made the mistake of buying a NY TJ and couldn't get under it at the time. Turned out to be a HUGE mistake. Tub was shot and the frame had some rust also.

Damn dude, that sucks! You've just been hit with a ton of bad luck recently.

It's hard to know if a noise in a 4.0 is fatal or not unless it's really obvious, because they are just really noisy engines. The lifters tick and knock, they have piston slap, some have light rod knock, and many of them make these noises for 100,000 miles and it never gets any worse.

My guess is that it had a broken piston skirt, which isn't unheard of, and the higher RPMs of sustained highway driving broke the piston the rest of the way. I'd bet $100 that if you pull the oil pan there will be pieces of piston skirt in the oil pan.

Reactions: Wildman
Hello everyone!
So recently I was T-boned and unfortunately my 01 TJ was totaled. I had been on the hunt for a new one(TJ or LJ) for about two weeks when I found a beautiful 00 TJ sport with 10k in professional work with receipts for all of it, very very clean underneath and overall from talking to the owner it sounded like a great TJ with few issues.
I’ll attach a video, but it sits on Dana 44’s, 37’s and 4.88’s, warn front lockers and rubicon air locker(air locker not currently working), 4” mid arm lift, winch, raptor liner interior and bedrug carpets, bestop seats, and a bunch of other great stuff.
A bit of info that’s pertinent, I live in NY, and finding a TJ year Jeep up here in good condition regardless of mods is very very hard. So my search extended from NY to Maine to Georgia to Michigan and everywhere in between. This Jeep was at the top of the list for how well it seemed to be built and general condition....the catch? It was in NC. So I put a deposit down with a clause to keep me and him safe, and planned to buy it if all things went well in person, and drive it home.
So finally I fly down there and meet him and see the Jeep. I looked at every inch of that thing top to bottom and it was just what I was wanting to see. Only catch? A “slight” knocking coming from the engine bay. The owner had it only for a year, as he wanted it for a family fun rig but his family got bigger and it was just impractical to keep it. In the year he had it he only put about 900 miles on it, mostly city and light dirt road driving. So according to him he’s never had any issues regarding that noise and has even driven it multiple times on the highway at 70 with no problems. So hearing all this and knowing that well it could be an issue for sure, but something I could address when I got home and could have my magician of a mechanic look at it and determine how bad it is.
So I get him to knock the price down 1k, after I had got him down $750 from his original price already. Originally he was asking $11,750 so at this point I had him down to 10K.
we sign the title and bills of sale, and because it was a federal holiday(yea this just happened), banks were closed and he wanted to have access to the money for sure. So we set on PayPal as all research said we could transfer up to 60k...well we had trouble and I ended up only being able to pay him 8k altogether including the deposit I already made. We agreed that I’d pay the rest when the banks would allow and I went on my way

Here’s the fuck-up ladies and gentlemen. It’s 730 miles home from where I was. I got about 100 miles into it, doing great, knocking noise didn’t sound as bad and it holds wells at 70, straight as an arrow too...still in the state of NC, and the knocking noise intensified out of nowhere to a crazy degree. I limped it to a exit ramp about a mile away and shut it off. Through a series of calls to my mechanic inclined dad, we determined it must be something in the engine related to the pistons/that area. Called the PO, told him what happened and he called a tow truck, I found a shop about 3 miles away and thankfully my luck hadn’t totally left me that day.
Every single guy there was so helpful and kind and helped ease the situation for me. Just from hearing me turn the vehicle on for 5 seconds the owner of the shop said it was the wrist pins on the pistons. Told me we had a couple options and we determined a donor 4.0 with lower miles that had been gone though and made sure it runs properly would be the best and quickest way(as I need this vehicle to get to work lol). Total cost of donor engine, other parts, and labor? $2100. Called the PO and after a few minutes we agreed that we would call it even on payment.
As of now the old engine is out and the new(used) engine arrived today. Should be all buttoned up by Friday!

SO the lesson here to me at least I’d never ever underestimate the noises you hear when checking out a potential vehicle. If it’s something you can work around(wanting a fixer upper, trailering it home etc) then maybe not the case for you.
Below I’ll attach a video of the Jeep when I did a walk around of it...with the sound on you’ll be able to hear the noise plain as day and I fully expect the criticism coming in the comments hahaha
Yeah, buying a vehicle out of state like that is always a rolls of the dice, especially when you're counting on driving it home. I've been bit more than once, you live & learn. In the end it sounds like you still got a good deal price-wise, you're just out your time. I'd call it a win overall.

So your in it for $10.1k? From the looks of it and your description it seems like you still got a pretty good deal. I'm sure the stress of the experience was not fun. Hopefully this will be your only issue and you can enjoy the new toy.

Lesson like this suck and they are expensive, I've had a few recently myself as well. I'm just glad you're okay and you were able to work out a deal with the seller.
Yea for sure. Definitely wasn’t a fun 3.5 weeks since the accident and this past weekend when this all happened was not a cake walk. But I definitely was lucky and blessed to have an understanding seller and got lucky on a good shop

If you just upload the video to the site here anyone wanting to watch it has to down load it and when I'm having shitty weather a lot of times I can't download them. I don't know how many others out there are in my boat but it does make it easier.

And thanks & bummer about your engine. But it seems the PO was pretty square with you so that had to help things a little.

I made the mistake of buying a NY TJ and couldn't get under it at the time. Turned out to be a HUGE mistake. Tub was shot and the frame had some rust also.
Yeah definitely glad the seller was as understanding as he was, he certainly didn’t have to be. But for him it was a fun toy so he saw how much I care about these things and felt bad for apparently selling me a lemon lol.
Yeah avoid NY TJ’s at all costs haha. I almost got burned on my first one, had a horrible underside, actually totaled it and re-coupes all my money from that one lol

That’s probably the best possible outcome, and what a coincidence you could only pay him $8k. At least the PO was a decent human. Glad you’ve almost got it back up and running
I agree! After it shit the bed, the series of events that followed were unbelievably great. From the free tow truck, a great shop doing the work, family friends close by to get me and bring me to the airport to fly home etc. And yeah, including travel expenses I’m in it for about 11k when this will be all said and done...not shabby at all I’d say!

Damn dude, that sucks! You've just been hit with a ton of bad luck recently.

It's hard to know if a noise in a 4.0 is fatal or not unless it's really obvious, because they are just really noisy engines. The lifters tick and knock, they have piston slap, some have light rod knock, and many of them make these noises for 100,000 miles and it never gets any worse.

My guess is that it had a broken piston skirt, which isn't unheard of, and the higher RPMs of sustained highway driving broke the piston the rest of the way. I'd bet $100 that if you pull the oil pan there will be pieces of piston skirt in the oil pan.
For real haha. And exactly what I was thinking, when I checked it out! I know these 4.0’s have their quirks and sometimes noises that like you say aren’t necessarily death inducing for it so that’s why I wasn’t terribly worried in the moment. But yea I think the constant rpms at highway speeds for a distance it probably hadn’t done in a long while, got exacerbated the problem.

Yeah the guy at the shop after hearing it said even if it were able to be driven, it would soon blow a piston or some other pet of the engine lol

Reactions: jeepguy03
Including travel expenses, 11k, but still I’d say a great deal. Just had been a hassle and a headache, but everything’s not always easy I guess lol
The wife and I graduated from Oswego just north of you. I actually bought a sight unseen TJ from Pittsburg/ohio area that is pretty much rust free (obviously some of the bolts are a bit tough to break free. The seller happened to have a crew going to Philly and he drove the Jeep there with only a deposit and we agreed if I did not want it he would refund the deposit and drive it back to Ohio. It is pretty nice but my next one will be a Rubicon from out west or south.