Let's talk code readers

WallyWest

TJ Addict
I have the BAFX thing for standard OBD2 stuff. Works fine, but I'm looking for a reasonably priced reader that also gets all the manufacturer specific stuff. Like airbag codes, basically something that can read anything the car's ECU is reporting. Live sensor data would be nice too, but I could probably live without that if it costs a lot more for that feature.

I have the airbag light on in my '08 GC. I know I could just pay a shop to do a quick diagnostic on it and go from there, but I like having my own tools to do these things. So is there anything out there that can do it for a couple hundred bucks? I'm not going to buy something for thousands like a shop would use, with live updates for new cars and tons of features. I kinda doubt I'll ever be buying anything newer than my '08. I'm actually thinking of something much older for my next vehicle, like pre EFI.

So yeah, just looking around, not sure if such a thing exists in the price range I would be willing to spend.

If you have a smart phone (I assume you do using the BAFX reader), I would recommend trying BlueDriver - it does more than any affordable dedicated reader I have used before does (including enhanced diagnostics on many of the major brands). One time cost in the scanner, works with iPhone and Android, I think the app is free: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4TS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I'll look into that, I was under the impression it was just a more expensive version of the BAFX reader.

I recently bought a ThinkDiag2, it does a bunch of the manufacturer specific stuff, like it will read the cam/crank difference, fuel level, battery temp, etc that's above and beyond the basic mode 1 OBD2 data.

I also bought a $130 micropod2 clone and set up a DRB3 emulator on a $35 laptop from ebay which does everything any tool can do, but it's a little more annoying to use since it involves a big chonk of a laptop that can't be used for anything else since it has to run 32 bit windows 7 and never connect to the internet so it doesn't break the emulator with a java update.