Lever action rifles

I have only one lever action rifle, and it's a Model 94 chambered in 30-30.
I bought this about 10 years ago from someone hurting for cash, paid $200 and it had never been fired.
Hoping it was a "pre 1964" model, I looked up the serial number and found it was made in 1965. :BangHead:

Reactions: Chris
I have only one lever action rifle, and it's a Model 94 chambered in 30-30.
Hoping it was a pre '64 model, I looked up the serial number and found it was made in 1965.

Take it out and shoot it ..... !
Do you have the original sights ?
They are a top eject, therefore the scopes were side mounted. This was not the best. They tend to jump around a bit when fired. You'll like it ..... !

I finally ended up buying one. It's a Winchester Model 1892 chambered for .357 Magnum!

What an amazing gun. I like this way more than my AR!
Nice! That is the same gun I have. It states 357 only but I read that it can do 38 special. I have yet to try it myself.

It can indeed do .38 special, but you need to make sure they're flat nosed (obviously). I've seen Hicock on YouTube do both .38 special and .357 in his.

This made more sense since my Ruger Vaquero is also .357. I almost went .45 Long Colt, but then I saw the price of the ammo! The .357 round is much, much cheaper!

Dude, 45LC is stupid expensive. I haven't even shot mine as of yet although I have a bunch of ammo for it, just haven't found the time. Unless I reloaded for it, I wouldn't buy one myself. Mine was willed to me.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
I know, 45 Long Cold is just stupid expensive, it's almost $1.00 per round.

I'm sorry, but with this .357 and .38 Special ammo, it's much cheaper, which means I can have much more fun.

Reactions: StG58 and Rob5589
Ahhh, but the Savage 99 doesn't look as good (to me at least) as this Model 92!

I know, 45 Long Cold is just stupid expensive, it's almost $1.00 per round.

I'm sorry, but with this .357 and .38 Special ammo, it's much cheaper, which means I can have much more fun.
Cast and reload for 45 Colt. 5 - 6 cents a round. 270 grains of 45 goodness at 1300 fps.

Last edited:
At one time I had over 40 various lever action rifles. Sold most of them and kept 2 pre 64 Winchesters that was dads, one Marlin 45-70 and my grandfathers 1876 Winchester which once in a while goes on display at different Cabelas stores. These will never be for sale and probably never shoot again in my life.

I am a bolt action and hand cannon nut.

Reactions: Chris and teejay
i like my bolt guns too, i hunt with a 308 ruger gsr ss 18.5" with a forward mounted 3-7x vortex scout. loves my 130gr hand loads.

lever guns are handy. great for a back up gun to bring along on hunts in case your primary fails or has an accident.

Robert Taylor (Longmire) looks completely comfortable with his '94 ....
One of you folks just has to use/try a Savage '99 ..... you'll never pick up another '92, '94 ....
Why would that be? Now on the hunt for a .357 rifle and revolver. Was somewhat set on the Winchester 92 until I came across your comments.
@Chris love the Winchester 1892, what did you pay if you don't mind me asking? New or used? Looking at the .357 as well

I see now the savage 99 was never chambered in .357, still looks to be a great gun. Would love an older one in .308

I have a lever action 44. Best pig gun I've ever used. When my dogs would bay up a big boar, and I wasn't able to get real close....that 44 rifle always did the job pushing a 240 gr bullet. I didn't want to use a rifle like a 30-30 or 308. Having that hand gun round going out that rifle barrel was like a very long pistol. Very accurate.

Reactions: sgtjdgelinas