Lift Kit Recommendation

army110

So, I want a 2 inch lift and I've read on the forum that I should stay away from Rough Country. What's a good budget lift with a smooth ride (it's my daily driver) for a stock TJ? Also, does running bigger tires or bigger tires with the lift mess with speedometer, and odometer? If so, how do you correct the discrepancies? I know I'm asking a bunch of questions but I'm new to all of this and wanted to make sure I got a good idea of what I should buy and even be looking for and how to correct any issues that may come up with anything.

Without knowing your future plans for the Jeep long term, the best I could recommend installing a body lift and small spacer lift. A .75” spacer and 1.25” BL would give you the 2” your looking for for the absolute lowest cost. If you go 2” suspension then there’s a chance you may need to modify other parts to make it function optimally. Rancho 5000x or skyjacker blackmax shocks are recommended for a smooth ride.

Larger than stock tires will affect your Speedo and odometer and a simple speedo gear change that takes all of 5 minutes to do will correct it.

Like I said though, better information on future plans and your intended use for your Jeep could help.

What's a good budget lift with a smooth ride (it's my daily driver) for a stock TJ?
*nvm - missed the part about you looking for a 2" lift
Also, does running bigger tires or bigger tires with the lift mess with speedometer, and odometer? If so, how do you correct the discrepancies?
Yes, replacement "speedo" gears are available to correct that issue.
I know I'm asking a bunch of questions but I'm new to all of this and wanted to make sure I got a good idea of what I should buy and even be looking for and how to correct any issues that may come up with anything.
No worries. The forum exists, in part, to help new TJ owners avoid the pitfalls so ask away.

Reactions: John Cooper
I fitted the Rough County 2 inch lift kit with shocks and I found it fine, Looks and drives great with 31 inch tires, Perfect for me anyway as a daily driver

So, I want a 2 inch lift and I've read on the forum that I should stay away from Rough Country. What's a good budget lift with a smooth ride (it's my daily driver) for a stock TJ? Also, does running bigger tires or bigger tires with the lift mess with speedometer, and odometer? If so, how do you correct the discrepancies? I know I'm asking a bunch of questions but I'm new to all of this and wanted to make sure I got a good idea of what I should buy and even be looking for and how to correct any issues that may come up with anything.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/a-beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.733/
Start there.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/codamans-2004-jeep-wrangler-rubicon.9347/

Without knowing your future plans for the Jeep long term, the best I could recommend installing a body lift and small spacer lift. A .75” spacer and 1.25” BL would give you the 2” your looking for for the absolute lowest cost. If you go 2” suspension then there’s a chance you may need to modify other parts to make it function optimally. Rancho 5000x or skyjacker blackmax shocks are recommended for a smooth ride.

Larger than stock tires will affect your Speedo and odometer and a simple speedo gear change that takes all of 5 minutes to do will correct it.

Like I said though, better information on future plans and your intended use for your Jeep could help.
I would at the most want to run 33s. I just want my jeep to have a bigger height and a smoother ride. Will those shocks be better than oem shocks?

I would at the most want to run 33s. I just want my jeep to have a bigger height and a smoother ride. Will those shocks be better than oem shocks?
2” of lift won’t be enough for 33s so if that’s the route you want to go you’ll need to spend some more money to make room for those tires. The typical recommendation for 33’s is 4” of total lift.

For 33”s you could run some 2.5”-3.0” springs with a 1.25” BL which should give you the height you need for 33”s. You will likely need several other supporting mods to get a smooth ride though. So for low cost I’d recommend my earlier suggestion and stick with 31”s until you have more money to throw at the Jeep.

Any 2” spring will do. I had rough country with ranchos and it rode 10x better than before when I had the rough country shocks.

Rancho 5000x shocks give a very nice ride from my experience. Skyjacker blackmax get good reviews here on the forum and I’d say both are gonna give you a very nice ride for the money. I’m actually about to buy a set of black maxes soon enough for my Jeep.

2” of lift won’t be enough for 33s so if that’s the route you want to go you’ll need to spend some more money to make room for those tires. The typical recommendation for 33’s is 4” of total lift.

For 33”s you could run some 2.5”-3.0” springs with a 1.25” BL which should give you the height you need for 33”s. You will likely need several other supporting mods to get a smooth ride though. So for low cost I’d recommend my earlier suggestion and stick with 31”s until you have more money to throw at the Jeep.

Any 2” spring will do. I had rough country with ranchos and it rode 10x better than before when I had the rough country shocks.

Rancho 5000x shocks give a very nice ride from my experience. Skyjacker blackmax get good reviews here on the forum and I’d say both are gonna give you a very nice ride for the money. I’m actually about to buy a set of black maxes soon enough for my Jeep.
So what is the recommended tire size for a 2 in lift?

Last edited:
ProComp or BDS springs and Rancho rs5000x shocks.
This pretty much nails it and is similar to what I did. Although I went either the OME springs. Rancho 5000x are the smoothest shocks for the TJs. I also added a 3/4” coil spacer to even out the front and a rear track bar relocation bracket to realign the rear axle. Make sure to add bump stops as needed. I did change the Speedo gear as well to match the new tire size. It’s super easy to do and should only take 15 minutes to change out.

So what is the recommended tire size for a 2.5 to 3 in lift? Would it be 31 or 3
So what is the recommended tire size for a 2.5 to 3 in lift? Would it be 31 or 32?
tire size really depends on what gears you have. Too big and your auto will jump in and out of OD at higher speeds. 32” should be a safe bet and looks great with 2” of lift.

So what is the recommended tire size for a 2 in lift?
3” of total lift is a strange area. Little too much for 31’s and not quite enough for 33’s.

But again with 3” of suspension you’ll likely need other mods to support that much lift and keep the Jeep riding nice.

I’d keep it simple and run 2” springs and 31’s or .75” spacers front and rear with 1.25” BL and 31’s