Lifter job on 2.5L TJ

RAC02

TJ Enthusiast
I have a loud ticking, almost knocking coming from my engine. I assume it’s the lifters , rocker arm, push rod combo. My question is would this be an easy job to do myself. And is there a way to determine this is the issue vs something else? And if the lifters, push rod, rocker arm is the fix, is there any advice on how to do it? Tips and tools. Thanks

We have a 2002 and are working on the same issue. We took the valve cover off to look at the rockers and push rods from the top. We even ran it for a bit uncovered to see if we could determine which area was making noise. Nothing looked off without starting to pull things apart so we went below. Pulled the oil pan off and it had some piston mcnuggets in the pan. The engine is running great and is super strong. We bought the vehicle with the noise, so we knew we had some work to do. So we are looking at redoing the pistons, but while we're in there we may find more and may want to replace other parts to give the engine a nice long life. It's got 135,000 miles on it. There are some great youtube videos showing both jobs that gave us some confidence. We are going to give it a try with the help of a mechanic friend who knows what they are doing.

Good luck.

pan.jpg

mcnuggets.jpg

Do you have to remove the head to replace the lifters? Do people ever just do the rocker arms and push rods? Next question, is you do the lifters do you really need to work on the cams? Basically is it a simple job to replace the lifters and rods and control arms?