Likely driveshaft damage?

1515art

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Geez, one Thing after another and I’m frustrated and disappointed I just picked the Jeep after Having a transmission shop Install a new remanufactured unit and it feels like they installed the driveshaft front Diff spline off a notch When they slipped it back on, I’ve got a bad vibration along with it almost feels like a tire has a high spot and you can hear the rhythmic vibration starting at even low speed, at 60 it is really strong and has gotten worse on the drive home to the point I think Monday it should be towed back to the shop. After the regearing I had a slight rhythmic vibration that was slightly noticeable at over 70 I thought since the transmission was shot that was the reason. could They have it misaligned when slipping the shaft onto the front differential and how can I tell if it’s off and determine the correct alignment? Hopefully driving it home didn’t cause some damage?

well, I just crawled back under the Jeep with a flashlight and the drive shaft was slipped back together off by about an 1/8 of a turn by looking at the alignment marks stamped onto the drive shaft So nothing lines up as it should. What kind of damage should I be looking for If any from the short 12 mile drive or do you think the short term consequences were just the vibration and I can fix it myself without having it towed Back to the shop, I don’t want to fix it and let them off the hook if it damaged from the drive?
F8ED871D-AEAA-48CE-9DA5-3F1CF9E7997A.jpeg

Last edited:
First off they should have removed the driveshaft properally by unbolting it.

There should be no damage short or long term. It's just possible out of balance now. I'd have no concerns about driving it back.

Reactions: 1515art
The drive shaft feels tight and I dont see any obvious signs of damage there’s no little parts falling off, when they put it back together they were off by 4 splines when they slipped the shaft back together. Driving it feels like it’s binding slightly I’m thinking I can just unbolt it at the front and put it back according to the marks.

Fixed, I pulled the front u-joint off put electric tape around the bearings separated the drive shaft and aligned It to the marks stamped on the side and it’s working normally.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck