LIMP mode issue and P700 and P1776 codes after turning overdrive on

Thanks guys. Did these fixes fix the hard shift from 1st to 2nd when the engine/trans is cold.

That was my first issues which Wranglerfix seemed to correct, but then it didn't. The second issues was the 1776 code a couple of weeks later and the limp mode.

It sounds like your fixes are for the limp mode but the hard 1st to 2nd aren't mentioned.
05-06 model transmission problems are often (usually?) caused by software bugs in the computer. Your problem sounds like it's probably caused by software which is easily fixable with a reprogrammed computer from @Wranglerfix www.wranglerfix.com

Reactions: Wranglerfix
I already did that. Put a new Wranglerfix PCM in a couple of weeks ago hoping that would solve all these issues but didn't seem to work. Or it may have worked for a week but it's back hard shifting when it's cold. And I got the 1776 code again this morning while driving moderately on the streets.

@blansky Please take the black connector (transmission control) off and spray it with some contact cleaner. Zip tie it as sometimes the difference between working and not working are those red CPA clips

Were these codes/symptoms your original issue?

Let us know what happens after you try that. I will send you another Pcm on Monday if the issue isn’t resolved.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Hard shift between 1st and 2nd when cold was my first issue.

A couple of weeks or a month later the 1776 and limp mode kicked in.

Two separate issues I guess.

Actually my very first issues were a bunch of different codes a month or so apart. Gas cap. Spark plugs. Co2.

That was just after it turned over 100,000 miles. All engine codes.

Mine was just a limp mode problem, I didn't have hard shifts from 1st to 2nd. I feel your pain, it's frustrating trying to chase down problems especially electrical and/or software ones.

Mine was just a limp mode problem, I didn't have hard shifts from 1st to 2nd. I feel your pain, it's frustrating trying to chase down problems especially electrical and/or software ones.
Yeah. I went 100,000 miles with no issues at all. Then things went down hill in a hurry. I still think all the engine codes that happened were probably the PCM, but the transmission thing is kind of baffling. 2 separate issues I guess.

Just an update:

I took it in and had the solenoid pack changed ($700) ten days ago and it seems to be not throwing the 0700 and 1776 codes anymore or going into limp mode. So far. Fingers crossed.

I sent the PCM back to WranglerFix and have not heard anything back since we seem to all agree that the hard shift when cold is a PCM issue which the new PCM didn't seem to fix. Hopefully Mark will get back to me.

Thanks everyone for their advice and support.

Another update.

Yesterday I went out again, my testing grounds is going over the hill to the ocean, about 15 miles, of winding roads and sharp turns. Anyways, it threw 4 codes, and went into limp mode again. 0700, 1775, 1776 and a new one 0740 torque converter clutch. So that's about 3 weeks after the transmission had the solenoid pack changed.

Later in the day WranglerFix sent the new PCM so I put it in and will test it out to see if the codes are for real or not.

It could also be one of the valves on the valve body itself that is the problem. The valves can wear inside the bore and leak or they get stuck in one position. Both of these conditions can cause the P1776 error also.

It could also be one of the valves on the valve body itself that is the problem. The valves can wear inside the bore and leak or they get stuck in one position. Both of these conditions can cause the P1776 error also.
Thanks. Can you explain better to a lesser light?

If this was the case wouldn't it be an almost always thing. This is very intermittent.

To be honest I don't know if it would be an always thing if there's excessive wear on a valve in the valve body. I know for me it started out as an intermittent problem, maybe once every couple of weeks and then over the course of a year it got worse to the point of almost every time I drove it, it happened. Heat seemed to be a major factor in it, on hot days or when I was driving in a manor that would cause the transmission to get hotter is when it would happen. I'm no expert but it makes sense to be that as it got hotter any pressure leak in the valve body would get worse. I replaced the solenoid pack and the valve body and so far after roughly 600 miles I have not had the problem come back. I do not know whether it was the solenoid pack or the valve body that fixed it but I did have a local transmission shop test the valve body and was told that several of the valves were leaking. I hope this helps.

To be honest I don't know if it would be an always thing if there's excessive wear on a valve in the valve body. I know for me it started out as an intermittent problem, maybe once every couple of weeks and then over the course of a year it got worse to the point of almost every time I drove it, it happened. Heat seemed to be a major factor in it, on hot days or when I was driving in a manor that would cause the transmission to get hotter is when it would happen. I'm no expert but it makes sense to be that as it got hotter any pressure leak in the valve body would get worse. I replaced the solenoid pack and the valve body and so far after roughly 600 miles I have not had the problem come back. I do not know whether it was the solenoid pack or the valve body that fixed it but I did have a local transmission shop test the valve body and was told that several of the valves were leaking. I hope this helps.
Thanks. On my receipt it says Remove and install Solenoid Pack, R&R valve body and service.

I agree about the heat. I keep thinking it may be a thing. In all cases it seemed to happen when it was around 90 degrees and the transmission was working on hills and switchbacks. Also I moved from Northern California where it never happened to Southern California where it continues to happen.

Thanks for your reply.

Just an update. Every time I take out the Jeep for more that just running around town, it still goes into limp mode and throws 0700, 1775 and 1776 codes. I'm staring to wonder if it's a heat issue since it happens after about 1 1/2 of driving.

The good news is, I guess that is hasn't thrown the 0740 torque converter clutch code again.

So basically the new computers and the transmission Solenoid Pack, R&R valve body and service didn't seem to work.

Last edited:
@Wranglerfix

Wranglerfix.jpg

Thanks Jerry but you can see by the thread that Wranglerfix has been involved from the beginning. I have already installed the second computer from them and that didn't solve the problem.

As well I had a trans shop remove and install Solenoid Pack, R&R valve body and service a few months ago, by your suggestion.

Last edited:
@blansky

1775 and 1776 comes back to:

• Low battery voltage
  • Faulty LR Pressure Switch
  • LR Pressure Switch harness is open or shorted
  • LR Pressure Switch circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Transaxle Solenoid Pack
  • Faulty Solenoid Switch Valve
  • Solenoid Switch Valve harness is open or shorted
  • Solenoid Switch Valve circuit poor electrical connection

Your email from 7-22 at 4:14PM says…

“I don't see any wiring issue and not prepared to strip all the wire coverings to look. The pictures you sent didn't really tell me much because I don't have a clue what they're of, except a dirty jeep.”

The pictures I sent you are from fellow jeep owners with similar
issues. If you “aren’t prepared” to find the wiring issue rest assured it will not fix itself.

“So basically the new computer and the transmission Solenoid Pack, R&R valve body and service didn't seem to work.” Correct. Because there is a wiring issue.

Perhaps @mrblaine can render some thoughts on the wiring gremlins that are common on these years.

If you are unhappy with my pcm you can return it and I will gladly refund your money.

Last edited:
@blansky

1775 and 1776 comes back to:

• Low battery voltage
  • Faulty LR Pressure Switch
  • LR Pressure Switch harness is open or shorted
  • LR Pressure Switch circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Transaxle Solenoid Pack
  • Faulty Solenoid Switch Valve
  • Solenoid Switch Valve harness is open or shorted
  • Solenoid Switch Valve circuit poor electrical connection

Your email from 7-22 at 4:14PM says…

“I don't see any wiring issue and not prepared to strip all the wire coverings to look. The pictures you sent didn't really tell me much because I don't have a clue what they're of, except a dirty jeep.”

The pictures I sent you are from fellow jeep owners with similar
issues. If you “aren’t prepared” to find the wiring issue rest assured it will not fix itself.

“So basically the new computer and the transmission Solenoid Pack, R&R valve body and service didn't seem to work.” Correct. Because there is a wiring issue.

Perhaps @mrblaine can render some thoughts on the wiring gremlins that are common on these years.

If you are unhappy with my pcm you can return it and I will gladly refund your money.
That sounded a bit aggressive. As you know from previous conversations that your new PCM did seem to cure the hard shifting and I stopped getting bizarre engine codes, so getting a refund has never been a concern.

The battery voltage is sort of confusing to me as a problem as I have no 'battery issues' like trouble starting, and I do drive it around town with no problems, it's only when I go out for a drive for an hour or two that on the way home it seems to go into limp mode and throw the 1775 and 1776 codes.

As I've mentioned before my Jeep has been babied, never off roaded, the wiring has barely ever been dirty so the thought of stripping off all the factory coverings when there is not a mark on any of it seems like a poor option although it may come to that. I just find it hard to believe there is a bare wire or a short inside a pristine covering and if there is a short why doesn't it do it when I just riding around town to the stores and back. It's never gone into limp mode on any outing less than an hour. But it has every time when the times and distances are 1/12 to 2 hours and usually on rather hilly roads where the transmission has to work.

I'm going back to the transmission place this week and talk to him about the various transmission bullet points you made. As has been mentioned that I already had some transmission work done, and I'll see if it covers everything you listed.

Thanks.

Last edited: