North Carolina List of Carolinian off-roaders

Will and I went to Uwharrie yesterday and had a good day. It was busy, but nothing like Thanksgiving when we went. My latest strategy has been to go to the harder trails first hoping to beat the crowds. That kind of worked yesterday as I got to play on the rocks of Daniel, just me and some older dude riding an electric trials style bike. It was just wet enough for me to slide sideways and get high-centered, then smack the shit out of my gas tank skid. We went on up to the top and found a group of "tons n' 40s" bros trying to recover a Toyota with a broke axle. The guy on the electric bike rode up and down the face of Daniel probably 5 times in 20 minutes, making those tons n' 40s guys look bad. :sneaky:

View attachment 483068

View attachment 483069

We ended the day at the hill on Dickie. "Tons n' 40s" bros were leaving when we got there but some other club rolled in before they could get out, so that was a 5 minute situation with some people having no idea what to do. Also, that white Porsche was broken. I'm guessing it's still sitting there today and will be tomorrow, which should be closing day.

View attachment 483070

Edit; I forgot to mention I came across a kid (16ish) and his dad in a recently rolled YJ. I didn't bother them, as it looked like they had just got everything settled back down. IDK what happened, but they were sitting at the bottom of the hill on Dutch John and a Jeep with them was rolling his winch line back in. I had seen the YJ earlier and it wasn't beat up. :(

IMG_7899.jpeg

Reactions: BlueC
Is that Dutch John? How do you flip on that trail, must have hit the wrong button with the feet lol

Last edited:
Been a busy few weeks with traveling so haven’t reported back about my Gulches trip. Went last weekend, then had a quick turn around for a week in Italy for work but got to stay in Venice and a day trip to Florence. Trying to get some videos edited on the tube, Here are a few pics though. Such a small park but was an awesome time. Rained Saturday after 1 or so, and man the trails got slick. They ended up closing Sunday bc of the rain.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_4227.jpeg

IMG_4249.jpeg

IMG_4237.jpeg

IMG_2352.jpeg

That it. I guess they just flopped over. I had seen that Jeep earlier and it was pretty nice. When I came up on it the glass was shattered out of the right side, the fender, hood and door were banged up, and the hardtop was destroyed. They had just got it started when I passed, and it didn't sound too happy, but everyone involved looked fine.

Is that Dutch John? How do you flip on that trail, must have hit the wrong button with the feet lol

It is and IDK. When I saw them it was a kid, probably 16, sitting in the driver's seat.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
It looks like Gulches is just under 2 hours from the new house, I need to make a trip

That’s better than my 4 hr drive, but definitely worth the trip. They had closed Sunday due to the weather. The park gets really soupy and slick when it rains. It started raining about 1-2pm, and stayed consistent for the rest of the time. Most of the trails we did were before the heavier rain came in.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
Oh it was awesome! My father in law drove it to the house before the kids woke up. My son came down, and we gave him a small box with the key wrapped in it. He was opening and said is it fragile? lol. Told him no, he got to the key and looked at me, the key, my wife, back to me. He said what?!, told him to go outside and there it was all waxed and cleaned. He’s a calm kid so he was overtaken with a little surprise. It was awesome.

Last edited:
Oh it was awesome! My father in law drove it to the house before the kids woke up. My son came down, and we gave him a small box with the key wrapped in it. He was opening and said is it fragile? lol. Told him no, he got to the key and looked at me, the key, my wife, back to me. He said what?!, told him to go outside and there it was all waxed and cleaned. He’s a calm kid so he was overtaken with a little surprise. It was awesome.

Great. Did you get your daughter one too? You can't play favorites. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Jamesval035

Thats awesome! He’ll never forget that Christmas

Reactions: Jamesval035

That’s awesome. I’ll give your son a call and have the “Tons and Fodeez” talk….

🙂

Someone just needs to point out there's another Jeep around, probably in the driveway, with good parts to swap. ;)
You’re definitely in my head. In the fall when he turns 16, we’re taking a welding class at the local community college..game on from there! 😆

Reactions: Austin O.