Little play in steering wheel

RVAH-13

Supporting Member
I have a little “play” in the steering wheel at 40mph. No pulling left or right and once past 40 or under 40 it’s gone. If I power through in 3rd or 4th it isn’t there. I took it to a 4x4 shop, they checked torque, alignment, adjusted toe in, balanced tires and tie rod ends. He said, unless I wanted to just spend money, live with it. He did say the tires, being 15 years old could be a possibility. This is a 2003; Wrangler Sport, 66k miles.

I would not drive a vehicle with tires that are 15 years old no matter what the mileage is on them or what the tread is like.
You are just asking for trouble for yourself and drivers around you.

Update on the "little play" in the steering wheel at 40mph. After reading many comments regarding a Jeep steering, after a lift alteration I have, currently, eliminated the play in the steering at 40mph.
I replaced the following and/or adjusted the following:
  1. steering damper, it appeared original.
  2. Replaced the lower control arms with adjustable arms to achieve proper camber during alignment
  3. Replaced the track bar with an adjustable one to center the axle.
  4. Needed new tires, old ones 15 years old, purchased Falken tires
  5. The 15" MT rims would not balance and required adding washers to the outside as there was not an attachment spot on the outer rim edge.
  6. Balanced all tires
  7. Aligned the front end
  8. Before all of this, checked bushings, tie rod ends, bearings, torque...
THANKS TO ALL WHO COMMENTED OR HAS DISCUSSED FRONT END ISSUES.

Reactions: TheBoogieman