LJ Gobi Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was looking for my roof rack no one told me that they have many type out there with different options. So my suggestion is to look for a rack with flexibility. I bought a rack off of CL used but I didn't know until months later it turned into a awning. I knew it tilted back for hardtop easy removal. Which is cool since no one wants to remove a rack to pull off a hardtop. One problem with my set up for removal of my hardtop I will need do awning position to instead of rack tilt 45 degrees. My basket is blocking articulation.
Screenshot_20190902-184542_Dolphin.jpg

23661-add6.jpg

20190903_171909.jpg

Cool setup and idea! I havnt seen this type for an LJ before so I’m not sure if they made them. I’m open to other options for sure but like the gobi setup the best, seems most friendly for a RTT as well.

That’s for a JK.

He’s looking for one for a TJ Unlimited (LJ).

Look for the Stealth version; the higher the top rail on the rack, the harder to load and unload cargo. This is a place where an inch makes a difference.

I think finding a used LJ Gobi Rack is going to be very hard to find. You might have to just drop the $1600 on a new one and call it good. I've been looking for one for TJ for some time now and have had no such luck. There are other roof racks out there obviously but none compare to the Gobi rack imo.

I think finding a used LJ Gobi Rack is going to be very hard to find. You might have to just drop the $1600 on a new one and call it good. I've been looking for one for TJ for some time now and have had no such luck. There are other roof racks out there obviously but none compare to the Gobi rack imo.

Agreed. Even if you found one for an LJ, I doubt you'd save much over the cost of a brand new one since its so desirable. I'd just buy a new one if you can swing the price and get the gratification of owning it sooner :)

Reactions: EJD
Depending the amount of patience you have keep looking on CL, OfferUp, FB Marketplace Etc. They do pop up once in a blue moon. Got crazy lucky and found a stealth rack in Hawaii. Don’t think the owner knew what kind of rack it was for how cheap I bought it.

There's another factor here, too: factory support...and if you don't think a high-end manufacturer like Gobi can fuck up, read the following.

When I bought a Stealth for my LJ, Gobi dropped the ball on the order and took 14 weeks to deliver instead of the promised 6. I have all the sympathy in the world for production delays - especially when a company is growing - but when I was on the phone with them weekly after Week 6 due to an upcoming trip that we needed the rack to complete, I started getting a little nervous. They finally delivered in Week 14 - four days before we left for the trip - but the rack was so hurriedly-built that it was misaligned in the jigs when it was welded, and the paint was still curing when it was palleted and shipped. Result: I had to return pieces of the rack and have new ones shipped in after we got back from the trip, because the rack literally could not be squared up to the Jeep...and it was rusting due to the slipshod painting. I also had about thirty percent of the fasteners gall up on me during removal because they used a lower-quality stainless hardware set that was threaded poorly and extremely prone to seizing...so I had to replace all of those on my dime. Same with the frame tie-in's on the rear: those had to be re-powdercoated, and I had to make heavier bracing plates because the ones they sent were from an annealed steel. The list of issues was actually pretty long, and for what I paid for a rack with all of the trimmings, I was furious. Now, Gobi did make things right in the end: it took a lot of pictures and me showing them exactly what the issues were from several angles, but if I hadn't bought that rack directly from them I would have been fucked...but I did buy from them, and they took care of the customer, and that is commendable.

Moral of the story: on big-ticket items like this, don't cheap out.

• Wow
Reactions: Sgt Jarhead and EJD
Status
Not open for further replies.