LJ rear cross member modifications with body lift and trailer hitch

Good Hope

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Finally purchased my first Jeep, a 2005 LJ earlier this year. After reading hundreds of posts on the various forum topics I sent Chris some $ and became a member.

One of the requirements for the Jeep is to pull a utility trailer. The jeep came with a tow bar which was mounted in the typical fashion - down low under the bumper, which I think is a bit ridiculous on a Jeep. That said, I really like the concept of tying the hitch directly into the frame. After spending some time laying on the concrete and staring up into the belly of the beast, I think I have a plan, but would appreciate your thoughts before the grinder starts spinning. I am capable of minor fabrication, which opens up a lot of options.

My plan is to mount a custom bumper with a tow hitch integral to the design. The problem is that I am not comfortable just bolting everything to the relatively thin rear crossmember. I could be wrong, but I just think the metal on the crossmember is too thin for this application and is going to bend or tear. I also plan on lifting the body 1.25" (Savvy, please send me the BL kit I ordered soon!). When I look at the rear crossmember of the LJ, it appears the primary functions include support for the two rear body mounts and provide a limited amount of frame stiffness (not sure how much it supplies as there is another crossmember 6" forward that supports the gas tank). I am thinking about totally removing the rear crossmember and replacing it with rectangular tube that would sit on top of the frame (1" to 1.25" tall, taking the place of the 1.25" tall Savvy pucks so I would just use the stock bushings), span the two frame rails, and go beyond the outside edges of the frame to provide a place to install the stock body isolators. Throw in some vertical gussets on the inside of the frame for stiffness, and maybe to cover up the open frame rail ends. Removing the factory crossmember would allow me to bolt on some plates directly to the outside of the frame that would stick straight out the back of the Jeep. The toe hitch/custom bumper would attach to the plates, forming a very solid connection. And I would build the bumper to eliminate the BL crack.

I have searched the forums and haven't seen anyone try this, so I must be missing something, right? Or maybe the juice isn't worth the squeeze in most people's minds. Or everyone just uses the bumper/frame tie in brackets, but I think the above system might be better and cheaper with the metal I have lying around.

As stated above, I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited:
There is a company the makes a weld on rear crossmember strength plate. I can’t remember the company at the moment. I put one on a few years ago.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just don't really want to chop the frame and raise the back end. I'll look at bumper options, but I don't really like how they mount.

If you can design and weld a safe hitch receiver bumper the rear of the Jeep will be easy, I don't see anything wrong with what you are suggesting. Part of me wonders why somebody that has the skills to weld a bumper with a receiver would even ask a question like this but I'll ignore that little voice in my head.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Yes, it will be easy, if a little time consuming, but this is the first Jeep I have played with, and the little voice in my head thought that I might be missing something obvious, or a better option I'm not thinking of. For the price of a few minutes typing up a question I can get a double check from some very smart people who know Jeeps very well. Thank you for the comment.

Reactions: pagrey
Or you could just use one of these and still have the bottom mount gap. Or use of these and do the above frame raise and have no gap or body lift pucks.
https://nextventuremotorsports.com/products/tj-457Or this one
https://www.swagoffroad.com/products/swag-big-hit-tj-yj-rear-bumper-v2-0

I used each of these with my last two LJs. when combined with the frame tie-in brackets, they work great for the use you're describing. The plus of the NV over the Swag is that it includes the safety chain attachments. I would use the dimple die holes in the Swag plate on that bumper. IMO, the bumper can easily span between the frame rails with the extra structure provided by either manufacturer, and the frame tie-in brackets help distribute the load back into the frame. The only tweak I made (with both) was to cut a square hole in the rear crossmember to allow for a standard hitch to work with the provided hitch pin hole. Most 2" hitches are too long and will hit the crossmember before the holes for the hitch pin line up. The LJ has plenty of room once you add the hole.