LJ with tummy tuck at 4" suspension lift

dtroth91

Supporting Member
Hey yall,

Didn't see any answers to this specific scenario so here goes.

Currently running a 4" rock jock lift with most of the kit necessary to do a tummy tuck.

I know what I need, and need help deciphering what I don't.

When I did the lift, I installed a SYE and tom woods driveshaft.

Recently the front driveshaft joints have been sounding like it's time to replace or rebuild.

Main question: if I purchase a more appropriately sized front driveshift for my current application, will I likely be needing to replace it again after a tummy tuck?

Similar question in the rear, the driveshaft is measured off a 4" susp lift. Do I need to replace after a tummy tuck? Yes, no, maybe but won't know for sure until it's installed?

Thanks

What do you mean by “with most of the kit necessary to do a tummy tuck”? Are you still running the stock skid plate? Have you installed a motor mount lift?

Hey yall,

Didn't see any answers to this specific scenario so here goes.

Currently running a 4" rock jock lift with most of the kit necessary to do a tummy tuck.

I know what I need, and need help deciphering what I don't.

When I did the lift, I installed a SYE and tom woods driveshaft.

Recently the front driveshaft joints have been sounding like it's time to replace or rebuild.

Main question: if I purchase a more appropriately sized front driveshift for my current application, will I likely be needing to replace it again after a tummy tuck?

Similar question in the rear, the driveshaft is measured off a 4" susp lift. Do I need to replace after a tummy tuck? Yes, no, maybe but won't know for sure until it's installed?

Thanks

The main part of the TT is the skid plate, which effectively raises the entire transfer case/transmission up a couple inches. This will mean raising up the yoke on the end of the transfer case, bringing it farther away from the rear diff. So yes, you will most likely need to measure for a new rear driveshaft if you want the most ideal length

For the front driveshaft, i’m running savvy 4” and UCF UHC tuck with stock front driveshaft and it seems to work fine.

Apologies, I currently run a stock skid, rockjock 4" lift with adjustable CAs all around, angled rear track bar bracket, SYE, and a tom woods rear driveshaft measured for a 4" lift.

My plan is to do a tummy tuck plate, body lift, and motor mount lift.

In the mean time, my front driveshaft is noisy and needs replacing.

Is it wasteful to replace the front driveshaft with my current application? Seeing as how I *might* need a new one after the tummy tuck?

Based on Kiwis answer I would say I can go ahead and get it replaced, since he is running a stock front with what would essentially be my same setup minus body lift and motor mount lift. Unless lifting the motor slightly will make for a harsher angle on the front driveshaft.

I have similar questions about rear in regards to whether a new driveshaft will be necessary. (My current is measured for my 4" lift but i understand a TT is essentially 2-3" more lift).

What do yall think? Can I go ahead and replace my front driveshaft and worry about the rear later (if necessary)

Or hold off, since both driveshafts may need replaced?

Stock front driveshaft will work fine even after the tummy tuck so no need to order a second driveshaft if you replace before the tummy tuck

Wait until you raise the skid to get an exact measurement for the rear shaft. The stock front shaft should work but since you need a new one, call Tom Woods and ask his option. They’re great over there and can get you close to an exact measurement.

Awesome.

I'll give Tom woods a call and see what they think. They were very helpful with my rear DS as well.

Thanks for the quick replies yall

Awesome.

I'll give Tom woods a call and see what they think. They were very helpful with my rear DS as well.

Thanks for the quick replies yall
When I ordered my rear shaft from TW, I mentioned my future plans to do the tummy tuck. They built me a shaft that worked well before and after the tuck. Don't hesitate to mention your future plans as well. Can't say enough good things about Tom Woods. 😎

Reactions: 97TJNM
If your current front driveshaft is at risk of seizing at the double cardan joint and breaking the transfer case in half, then it is less expensive to address it now and then again when you are ready for the raised belly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apparition