Load Ratings and a question

TuggerTJ

hey y’all. This should be a rather quick one and I’ve been looking online. Do you think a 116t load rating is sufficient for a bare bones 2000 TJ. Nothing in it but the seats.

I reordered the tires that are currently on there, but realized the were 123 rated and ordered the wrong set.

Li 116 has maxload of 1250kg/ 2756lbs
Li 123 has maxload of 1550kg/3417lbs

So 116 covers GAWR 5512 lbs.
And 123 GAWR 6834 lbs.

I think that your axles gawr are much less then that so even P- tires of same sises would be enaugh. Now probably one tire covers complete gawr, even 116 li.

Gawr's can be found on same plate as pressure advice.

The 116T are for max speed of 190km/118m/h , I think max technical carspeed of your car is lower so these tires are allowed.

The 116 theoretically would give better gripp and comfort.

Last edited:
For a TJ you just want a Load Range C tire. You’ll be fine with the 116. ;)

Reactions: matkal
Li 116 has maxload of 1250kg/ 2756lbs
Li 123 has maxload of 1550kg/3417lbs

So 116 covers GAWR 5512 lbs.
And 123 GAWR 6834 lbs.

I think that your axles gawr are much less then that so even P- tires of same sises would be enaugh. Now probably one tire covers complete gawr, even 116 li.

Gawr's can be found on same plate as pressure advice.

The 116T are for max speed of 190km/118m/h , I think max technical carspeed of your car is lower so these tires are allowed.

The 116 theoretically would give better gripp and comfort.

Thank you. I was freakin myself out for a min thinking I bought the wrong set. Appreciate the input

Check your GAWR's so you can really be at ease. Give them here, and I will calculate the needed pressure for you.
Also check maximum speed of car.
In the Netherlands, where I live , the tires must have same or higher max speed then ,as it is called, max technical carspeed.

The 2 tires together must be able to carry the gawr( gross axle weight rating) .

It is wise to have some reserve in that, but European idea is not to much. It gives discomfort and lesser gripp.

American idea is " bigger is better" and so you often see switching to E-load ( AT 80 psi) tires for a car for wich Standard load P-tires( AT 35 psi) are more then enaugh.