Locked Dana 30

maxedstrom

Hi i have a 2004 jeep tj, its the x model and when i put it into 4 wheel drive the front axle appears to be locked all the time. The rear axle is an open diff. It is just the base model so i do not have the ability to lock either of my diffrentials. Is this normal? I have looked at other forums and have not been able to find anthing. I am the second owner of the jeep and have no way of getting in touch with the previous owener. I know they put a good amount of money into it so maybe its an aftermarket thing. thanks for your help:)

Hi i have a 2004 jeep tj, its the x model and when i put it into 4 wheel drive the front axle appears to be locked all the time. The rear axle is an open diff. It is just the base model so i do not have the ability to lock either of my diffrentials. Is this normal? I have looked at other forums and have not been able to find anthing. I am the second owner of the jeep and have no way of getting in touch with the previous owener. I know they put a good amount of money into it so maybe its an aftermarket thing. thanks for your help:)
It's maybe an automatic locker?

Does it make any sound when turning?

You can do a test. Jack up the front axle. Turn the one wheel in one direction and watch in which direction the other wheel is moving.

If you are 100% this is not a selectable locker, it might be either an automatic locker, or a spool

You can do a test. Jack up the front axle. Turn the one wheel in one direction and watch in which direction the other wheel is moving.

If you are 100% this is not a selectable locker, it might be either an automatic locker, or a spool
So ya when it is not in 4 wheel it is an open diff but when it is put into 4 wheel it locks so i am assuming it is some sort of automatic diff. i was not aware of that until now. I will also try jacking it up as well. I was just a little suprised seeing as i have one of the most basic models and did not expect it to have any sort of locking diffrentials. Thank you for you help!

Reactions: TJim
Your‘e not on dry road/pavement when you’re in 4WD when experiencing this are you?

Not meaning to be a smart ass or anything, just making sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: pagrey and SvtLdr
My suspicion is that what you're feeling in the front end is normal when engaging 4wd on dry pavement.
Pull the cover off the front diff, snap some photos of the carrier and post them here. If you do have a locker in front, you'll want to identify which type. We can help with that.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
My suspicion is that what you're feeling in the front end is normal when engaging 4wd on dry pavement.
Pull the cover off the front diff, snap some photos of the carrier and post them here. If you do have a locker in front, you'll want to identify which type. We can help with that.
Ya im planning on changing the diff fluid soon and replacing the diff seal so ill look at it then but for right now im jsut assuming its transfercase lockup. thanks for the help!

Reactions: SvtLdr
Ya im planning on changing the diff fluid soon and replacing the diff seal so ill look at it then but for right now im jsut assuming its transfercase lockup. thanks for the help!
Just keep in mind that the Wrangler's part-time type of transfer case means it's not meant for use on high traction surfaces like pavement. Even without a front locker steering will still be wonky if you're in 4x4 while driving on pavement.