Locker and different tires.

BretStep

I need to replace a damaged tire with a new one and I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about possible issues that might cone up with a slightly different diameter tire on one side of the axle versus the other due to a slightly different tread depth.
The remaining tire is a 285 75R16 goodyear MTR (old style) with 11,000 miles.
I also noticed that they updated the MTR with a completely new pattern.
Obviously there will be no problem in 2 wheel drive, but is there an issue operating with the axles locked?

That slight diameter difference between an old and new tire of the same brand, type, and size will be fine.

Are you talking about the Goodyear MT/R? If so, they made huge improvements with their MT/R and included kevlar reinforcing but that happened like 10 years ago. I ran two sets of the old style MT/R but have been running the new kevlar MT/R for 9 years and love it even more. Absolutely bulletproof tire.

That slight diameter difference between an old and new tire of the same brand, type, and size will be fine.

Are you talking about the Goodyear MT/R? If so, they made huge improvements with their MT/R and included kevlar reinforcing but that happened like 10 years ago. I ran two sets of the old style MT/R but have been running the new kevlar MT/R for 9 years and love it even more. Absolutely bulletproof tire.

What kind of mileage do you get out of yours? Do you replace them before they get to worn and sell the take offs? Do they grip well until they are really worn?

My Goodyear MT/Rs (the newer kevlar version) have well over 40k miles on them, and I wear my offroad tires down until there's nearly nothing left on them. As worn as they are, they still work well enough to get up and over big climbs/dry waterfalls that some others need winching on. Of course not all of that is just from the tire. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeM and xxdabroxx

Yes, I have the older original MTRs on it. Been trying to find a NOS to match but its looking pretty grim.

At least in my area, i've found a couple sets of Rubicon rims with their tires still on them. They are out there! Just...may take a while! :D

Same here. There are still a few old MTRs out there. In fact I just got rid of one last year. It was a spare from 2004. One of my coworkers still has an old MTR in his garage (unused as well). The thing to think about is that rubber is an organic product. It will wear out eventually (even if it has never touched the pavement). Americas Tire will not remount a tire if its build date is older than 10 years from the time of remounting. I learned this last year when I asked them to remount my unused MTR. Since the MTR is a much more durable and reinforced tire than a "regular tire" I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Just something else to think about.

Same here. There are still a few old MTRs out there. In fact I just got rid of one last year. It was a spare from 2004. One of my coworkers still has an old MTR in his garage (unused as well). The thing to think about is that rubber is an organic product. It will wear out eventually (even if it has never touched the pavement). Americas Tire will not remount a tire if its build date is older than 10 years from the time of remounting. I learned this last year when I asked them to remount my unused MTR. Since the MTR is a much more durable and reinforced tire than a "regular tire" I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Just something else to think about.

Yes very true!