Long Guns....

Mike_H

autos are better - WRWD508
Supporting Member
I found this story today, Kind of a nice picture progression of a refurbished Spanish Mauser.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/09/29/building-custom-rifle-43-photos/

Reminded me about my Benjamin Blue Streak that Grampa gave me. I got it from him when they sold their house and property to downsize. He had taken it apart already...so I had to start learning about the old girl.

When I received it...

GhsMzzqW_IP7toZz-WOh7PNpo3Pu2j8deSwhVhAyybC2PeKz1kYWoHHTHPE4TWDbOZgdiClLu4V7SI_MoQ=w1226-h919-no.jpg

I finished teardown and started to evaluate what needed fixing vs what needed cleaning.
5O51AyRjePyPrNbLm_dIRnZIziwLAbaiZvdLffujs33ATNDNSp2XBmJSrlTeekn8Q4nfqObTdAJo7exLIw=w1226-h919-no.jpg

It was really just dirty. I pulled the trigger, the bolt, the trigger guard, forestock, etc all apart to give it a good cleaning. I also replaced all the seals in the piston pump to ensure years of use so that I can hopefully pass it on to one of my nephews.

I ended up nickle plating the bolt, polishing and cold bluing the trigger and guard, and sanding / polishing / applying a zillion coats of linseed oil to the stock. I'm very happy with the result!

HB5Mv2EdFLPsVzZdWUKrSmgbogz_OtTdz0SrWf1u0oyq-fyFp8VbjH7YRm3kOjgE7KAoKSJhGIqNrTMtTA=w1680-h647-no.jpg

6UDkfU0NhQM5BQz8qWAtFkg946qDsTJdQe0Obb_taohAnqtPEj71uu6AVXge71UqQFpBkhSvwrH_MpFIoQ=w1634-h919-no.jpg

Gunsmithing is the career I would pick, if I could go back in time. I love the detail, the machine work, the beauty and contrast of cold steel against warm wood, etc. Plus...who wouldn't want to make money playing with guns? I'm sure its not as great as it seems in my mind, but I really dig all the custom stuff out there. Not the custom AR's...that's too easy (like bolting a bunch of ebay shit to a JK) but true customs, that the 'smith has to MAKE parts for. Its art to me.

Reactions: Don_L and Travis