Looking at a new to me jeep, need opinions

JWjeepSask

TJ Enthusiast
There is a 1997 Sahara that recently came up for same 25km away from me and I'm thinking about buying it, it has 208,000km and the person is asking $4900 I think that is a pretty good price but I'll let all of you decide as most have way more experience when it comes to used TJs.
478ca58be4c585bbc4b61a621018ee96.jpg
a79ac6e46c92cec86cfbc1f103e4ec69.jpg
e66cb38f1f66065526fab7383284d895.jpg
c2f2c2b1077c4c8697c074a342d43a7c.jpg
here's some pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkView attachment 22051

If it's rust free, sounds like it's worth a look . Looks to be the Sahara package, so that's a good thing. Tires look newish, and looks unmolested for the most part. Like that color combo too. Engine's got a fair amount of miles, but as long as it was well maintained, I wouldn't be afraid. The 4.0L can go the distance.

I'll go look at it on Saturday and take a look, hopefully it's still there by then... where should I look for rust? I know the frame is the place to start but where else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check under the carpet on both sides where your feet would be. Aftermarket floor pans are available though, and not that hard to replace if they are rusted.

Reactions: JP98
I'll go look at it on Saturday and take a look, hopefully it's still there by then... where should I look for rust? I know the frame is the place to start but where else?

Look the frame over good and the transmission skid plate. Salt and road grim can get up under the plate between the frame and rust out without showing much sine from the outside.

That is a good price if everything checks out. The would be like $4k USA and to get that Jeep around me would run twice that easy.

Look under the bra - if that's what it is - to see what's going on there. It'll hold dirt and salt and destroy the paint. Then, if you buy the Jeep, promptly take off the bra and throw it away.

Reactions: Chris
Another question, what do I give the guy when I take it for a test drive? Just so he knows I don't steal it lol. I don't think giving him a pic of my drivers is good cause then can't he steal my info?

I talk to them and if all seems good I leave my license...A locked phone would probably be good