Looking at simple solutions for replacement bumpers

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I’ve already modified the stock bumpers and want to replace them with something a bit more finished. I don’t need a high end rock crawling bumper nor do I need an integrated carrier.

I’d like a mid width front bumper with D-Rings.. simple. Looking at either the Smittybilt SRC Classic or the Taktik. Both are a bit wider than what I have cut my stocker down to, but both should be totally usable for my needs. My OBA pickup is installed in the KC light hoop that should bolt right over either of these bumpers.

For the rear, I’d like a body width bumper with D-rings and a tow rated receiver. Same two companies seem to fit the bill as could the Barricade, though it is bit wider than body width. I have LED aux reverse lights in my stocker and will likely do the same in whatever replacement I choose.

Any other suggestions I should look at? Fishbone Offroad has one that is similar though $100 or so more expensive. No idea if there advantages to that one.

Suggestions, feedback and pics would be appreciated.

Avoid the Smittybilt junk/Chinese made bumpers. There's an outstanding USA made bumper with great quality that is price competitive with the Smittybilt junk, take a look at them at https://www.thedirtworx.com/. And he can easily customize them like making them shorter by asking. My rear bumper is a Dirtworx that matches your requirement of having shackle tabs and a strong receiver hitch. I've been towing my pop-up tent trailer all over the Soutwest with it for 20 years.

These are both Smittybilt bumpers... junk.

Smittybilt Bumper.jpg

Smittybilt tire carrier fell off.jpg

This is my rear Dirtworx bumper...

20140111_100321-Aeditted.jpg

I came across the DirtWorx website in my search and found it really difficult to navigate. Given the absence of pricing I assume they are a custom build shop which, in all likelihood, is going to break the budget. The stock bumpers are totally adequate for my needs just look really anemic.

Reactions: SvtLdr
I bought LOD bumpers for around $220 each on Ebay. USA made. They make different widths for the front.
View attachment 401616

View attachment 401619

I had LOD bumpers on one of my JKs. I had been to the LOD website and the only simple bumper they had is a 54". I don't see them on eBay at all..

These are what I'm going with
Made in Washington state
KD Fabrication
View attachment 401610

View attachment 401615

Hmm.. thanks for this. I really like the look of the rear bumper. The stubby base front bumper is a good option, though I don't need the winch plate style.. just a simple replacement for the factory front..

I came across the DirtWorx website in my search and found it really difficult to navigate. Given the absence of pricing I assume they are a custom build shop which, in all likelihood, is going to break the budget. The stock bumpers are totally adequate for my needs just look really anemic.
No they are not custom and as said above, they are priced competitively even with the Chinese junk...

Everything is under the Gallery section that shows all the photos.

Front bumpers $299: https://www.thedirtworx.com/product-page/front-bumper
Rear bumpers $299 : https://www.thedirtworx.com/product-page/rear-bumper

I had LOD bumpers on one of my JKs. I had been to the LOD website and the only simple bumper they had is a 54". I don't see them on eBay at all..

Hmm.. thanks for this. I really like the look of the rear bumper. The stubby base front bumper is a good option, though I don't need the winch plate style.. just a simple replacement for the factory front..

LOD 44” front bumper

The picture shows it with their winch plate but it’s an option. It’s the same bumper I have except I have a Smittybilt winch plate.

899EE31C-EB46-4E78-8A18-7D851052C9ED.jpeg

No they are not custom and as said above, they are priced competitively even with the Chinese junk...

Everything is under the Gallery section that shows all the photos.

Front bumpers $299: https://www.thedirtworx.com/product-page/front-bumper
Rear bumpers $299 : https://www.thedirtworx.com/product-page/rear-bumper

@MikekiM I went with dirtworx also. Mainly went with them for the same thing you are looking for. Simple with tow setup. Been pulling my Bantam trailer with no issues for 5 years now. The website isn't the best probably because it is a small shop. I bought my rear bumper from him in 2017 for $248 and that was shipped from CA to Maine. So the price has gone up that much in the last years

I plan on going with dirtworx again with the front bumper in a year or so

Another recommendation to avoid the Chinese stuff like smitty, EAG, Fishbone. Had them before and they completely ripped welds and bent the metal on basic things. Every cross country trip I do in my jeep i bring a tray, and every time the hitch and bumper mounts ripped. I now have Motobilt bumpers, and while a lot of people here are not fans of them at all I do like them and they have held up so much better. I see the flaws now but they’re well worth the cost difference than the China made ones. All the usa brands that have been stated above are great and comes down to your choice of style.

Reactions: MikekiM and L J
Another recommendation to avoid the Chinese stuff like smitty, EAG, Fishbone. Had them before and they completely ripped welds and bent the metal on basic things. Every cross country trip I do in my jeep i bring a tray, and every time the hitch and bumper mounts ripped. I now have Motobilt bumpers, and while a lot of people here are not fans of them at all I do like them and they have held up so much better. I see the flaws now but they’re well worth the cost difference than the China made ones. All the usa brands that have been stated above are great and comes down to your choice of style.

Motobilt looks sweet.. Although I am not a fan of having to finish it myself.. not one of my skills.. so I'd have add the cost of having a shop do it for me.

Last edited:
Motobilt looks sweet.. Although I am not a fan of having to finish it myself.. not one of my skills.. so I'd have add the cost of having a shop do it for me.

Absolutely right as powder coating a bumper for me was an additional 120 bucks added to that cost. That being said the powder coat on the China stuff is also so bad I’ve had to sand them down to bare metal multiple times bc their powder coating rusted under it. So while it adds to the costs knowing a good shop is doing the coating is also nice. I’m just very anti China stuff as much as I can now as i started to spend more fixing it than just getting what I wanted in the first place.

Reactions: MikekiM
Powder coating always looks exceptional but if you ever need to do a repair you need to strip the whole part and redo it..

This project took a new, unexpected turn.

While browsing the FB MP I came across a Warn mid-width front bumper for $199, but missed it by a few minutes. I need to respond faster and not think too long.

The next day a Barnes low profile rear bumper, new in box, popped up on MP for $100... jumped on that. I was just about to pull the trigger on a matching Barnes front stubby when I saw a sale on the Motobilt front stubby and, well...should have that in a few days. Now I have to order the bits to prep and paint the two pieces. I am thinking either Por15 Pre Paint Metal Prep or the Eastwood paint prep and then finishing it with the Eastwood 2K Are-Spray Ceramic Satin Frame Black.

Looking for a finish coat that will match the SEM Trim Black paint I've used frequently, but be more durable. Heard good things about the Eastwood Ceramic, though it sure isn't inexpensive. I need to paint front & rear bumpers and the bumper mount light hoop. The Highrock 4x4 tire carrier I bought a few months ago was just redone in Trim Black but isn't installed yet..

Reactions: SvtLdr