Looking for 2nd opinion on Craigslist TJ part

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Hey guys,
My muffler/exhaust is rusted out, leaking, and its hanging on there by threads.

This dude on CL here has a listing for a never been used Mopar one right here: https://rochester.craigslist.org/pts/d/wrangler-tj-muffler-exhaust/6229417183.html

I just wanted to see if you guys think this seems to be a decent deal, and if this item appears to be correct for TJ. Or if there is anything weird about it that i'm not seeing.

I typed the part number listed on the sticker into google and it appears to be a match. I'm just double checking with the team here before I pull the trigger. I have already offered the guy $90 and he said he is good with that, and just wants it gone since he's had no bites on his listing in a month.

Whatta ya think? Look good?

Last edited:
I think that's a great deal if it's new. Since you ran the #'s and they match you should be okay.
Get the old one out ASAP.

We didn't on my sons TJ, and I'm really paying the price with MELTED COMPONENTS I wiring AND fuel
3628c7f09ede9f39492015e12639a3ce.jpg
3df514e6c113943f4ad849436fbe28ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: StG58 and EJD
Part number matches. price is good. What can possibly go wrong?
Maybe ask him to include the original bill of sale.
LOL, actually the guy had the invoice still sealed onto the muffler from when it was shipped.

It never hurts to offer $20 less either!
Got it for $90 cash from his $150 asking price, and the $275 original buy price. So 1/3 of what they cost is a solid buy!

Now...any advice on the swap?

Reactions: StG58
LOL, actually the guy had the invoice still sealed onto the muffler from when it was shipped.

Got it for $90 cash from his $150 asking price, and the $275 original buy price. So 1/3 of what they cost is a solid buy!

Damn, that's a score!

There's not much too it, the swap is easy and straight forward in all honesty.

Reactions: EJD

Get it on there, quick!

Depending on the condition of your old bolts where it bolts on to the flange, will determine the amount of work. Soak those liberally with Kroil or PB Blaster for a good while before trying to unbolt them. You might want to spray the rubber hangers with some also, makes getting those exhaust pipe hangers out a little less PITA.

Get it on there, quick!

Depending on the condition of your old bolts where it bolts on to the flange, will determine the amount of work. Soak those liberally with Kroil or PB Blaster for a good while before trying to unbolt them. You might want to spray the rubber hangers with some also, makes getting those exhaust pipe hangers out a little less PITA.
So, i've never done this before but i'm going to just undo the bolts on the flange (which is closer to the tip of the tailpipe, correct?), and unhang the hanger, once those are undone the muffler will just slide forward and I can somehow get the tailpipe out? And slide the new one in the the same fashion, and hang/bolt up?

I don't know what you have on there now, but I believe the muffler unbolts from the catalytic converter at the flange on the left. I think you should be able to snake the exhaust pipe through the area where it goes now. Might take some patience...as far as bolting on the muffler and removing the old one, you might need to remove the skid plate unless you are a contortionist...
00u0u_6qFrDAlGLWT_600x450.jpg

Reactions: EJD and JMT
I don't know what you have on there now
It's stock still, but I read somewhere that the '00 TJ has nothing bolting the Cat to the Muffler, they kind of just slide inside. I'll have to crawl under there today and assess the situation, especially because my Hangers are rusting bad. (Not sure if it was the hanger part that bolts up to the frame or the hanger piece attached to the tailpipe).

Thanks though! I think I have an idea of what to do, i've been reading a few threads.

I don't know what you have on there now, but I believe the muffler unbolts from the catalytic converter at the flange on the left.
OK, I think I need some advice here.
So there is NO flange on my existing setup, the only thing on the Cat pipe going into the muffler is an exhaust clamp. How am I supposed to connect this new setup with the flange onto a Cat that has nothing to flange onto? Is there an flange adapter piece? or do I just slide it on but not flange it?

Its weird cause I have a stock muffler on there, it just has no flange. Why would the direct replacement from Mopar offer one with a flange?

My best advice is to run by a muffler shop, they know what they're doing for the most part. They can point you in the right direction. I cannot see why you couldn't have them connect the CL muffler to your current setup, flange or not. And, they don't usually charge all that much. Something like that, I'd be asking their advice at the very least.

It appears the CL exhaust system is for a later Jeep, but a shop could either cut off the flange and attach that way, or maybe even put a flange on the converter to bolt to...

Last edited: