Looking for advice on 97 TJ 4.0 build

goatman64

Looking for advice on making improvements to my TJ. 1997 Sport 4.0L 5spd. I have the dreaded 3.07 ratio.. 30/35 axles. The previous owner put a set of '18 Rub wheels and tires with non-hubcentric spacer/adapters. I want to add lockers front and rear. I purchased a set of hub centric spacer/adpaters. Is there an option to rid myself of the spacer/adapters? I know different axles will solve the 5x4.5 to 5x5 issue but how do you deal with the width issue? The stock axle is 60.5 and I need a wsw width of 62.5 to 63. I know this will limit turning radius but not planning for larger tires. Want a good daily driver that can tackle most stuff.

Basically want to stick with stock 30/35 shells. Add lockers, 4.10 ring/pinion and more spline (30) axles.

Anyone need a set of non hub centric 1.5" 5x4.5 to 5x5 spacer/adapters?

Thanks all

Start with a pair of axles from a 4cyl to get your 4.10’s easy. Then add a lunchbox up front and a S35 kit in the back.

I know different axles will solve the 5x4.5 to 5x5 issue but how do you deal with the width issue? The stock axle is 60.5 and I need a wsw width of 62.5 to 63. I know this will limit turning radius but not planning for larger tires. Want a good daily driver that can tackle most stuff.

Basically want to stick with stock 30/35 shells. Add lockers, 4.10 ring/pinion and more spline (30) axles.
Elaborate on your width statement

The spacer/adapters provide two functions...5x4.5 to 5x5 and setting stance a little wider. I've read some folks busting the spacer/adapters on hard trails. If I solve the 5x4.5 to 5x5 issue with axles then the stance is more narrow...no issue on the rear but further reduces turning radius. Literally an inch on either side...I'm fine with shut up and don't worry about it..

The spacer/adapters provide two functions...5x4.5 to 5x5 and setting stance a little wider. I've read some folks busting the spacer/adapters on hard trails. If I solve the 5x4.5 to 5x5 issue with axles then the stance is more narrow...no issue on the rear but further reduces turning radius. Literally an inch on either side...I'm fine with shut up and don't worry about it..
What axles are you using to get an extra 1” of track?

I probably didn't explain that well. My desire is to remove the adapters. If I get axles with 5x5 bolt pattern then I lose the 1" of space in the adapter...
Ok, then you need JK axles.
or just build TJ axles and get wheels with correct back spacing

Reactions: hear
Finally made some progress on my build. Complete Dana 44 Rubicon swap on the rear and a Powertrax Grip Pro/4.10 swap on the Dana 30. Very happy with the result. Still working on the pump for the rear locker. I was thinking about a manual hand pump setup but curious how others have solved the issue of pump availability or retrofit. I read you could find some Kia models that used the same pump ... other options?

I tried some manual pump setups without success and went the arb compressor route. Purchased a CKSA12 compressor. Teed in a quick connect fitting and used a generac 0L2917A oil pressure switch (5 spi) to switch a relay for the compressor. I have a ball valve so I can get constant compressor operation on the quick connect side for tire air up. Works well .. once I had the compressor setup I understood why my manual setup didn't work ... leaking dana 44 air locker in the diff. Not sure if its the air line or the bladder itself. Will take that apart soon. A bit more to do but feeling mostly ready for some colorado trail exploring ..

IMG_20220227_143116512_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Matt131