Looking for Advice on Lower Control Arm Bushing and Sway Bar Link Boot

97' 4 Popper

Opened a Can of Worms
Supporting Member
I have a vibration that gets worse the faster you go past 60. Does this lower control arm bushing need to be replaced? Looks like somebody did the other side. I also have a sway bar link boot that's torn up. Is there any way to replace the boot without buying a new link?

Thanks,

-97' 4 Popper

IMG_20210316_184714_4.jpg

IMG_20210323_141809_4.jpg

Man - that is a lot of rust you have there. I’m guessing that bushing is the least of your worries. It can’t hurt to replace it but from the looks of it I don’t see a lot of flex going on in there. It appears to be completely seized together if anything. And I wouldn’t bother changing out just the bushing. Better to change the whole arm and bushing for not much more. Same for the sway bar links. Those come as complete units cheap enough that it’s not worth bothering with individual parts.

Man - that is a lot of rust you have there. I’m guessing that bushing is the least of your worries. It can’t hurt to replace it but from the looks of it I don’t see a lot of flex going on in there. It appears to be completely seized together if anything. And I wouldn’t bother changing out just the bushing. Better to change the whole arm and bushing for not much more. Same for the sway bar links. Those come as complete units cheap enough that it’s not worth bothering with individual parts.

I appreciate the input, I basically can't find the boots so I'm possibly replacing both front links. I'm hesitant to do the control arm any time soonish, though I've started spraying the bolts down with kroil.

As for the rust yeah I'm in the middle of some stuff cleaning up the suspension and painting it. Haven't found any structurally weak points yet. I wish I knew how cheap stock control arms are because I've spent hours grinding them down already.

Replacing front end parts. Shocks, brakes, rotors and sway bar links. Rusty 1998 Sport from up north. I've down to the sway bar bushings. Sprayed it with Blaster and the two back bolts made two turns and are ready to break. Right under the front grill. If they break off what are my options besides drilling? Has anyone ever removed the two front bolts ( they are loose) and replaced the bushings? They need replacing but I do not want to break bolts in the frame under my grill.
Rust never sleeps.

Replacing front end parts. Shocks, brakes, rotors and sway bar links. Rusty 1998 Sport from up north. I've down to the sway bar bushings. Sprayed it with Blaster and the two back bolts made two turns and are ready to break. Right under the front grill. If they break off what are my options besides drilling? Has anyone ever removed the two front bolts ( they are loose) and replaced the bushings? They need replacing but I do not want to break bolts in the frame under my grill.
Rust never sleeps.
Not a lot of good options there. They all go into weld-nuts in the frame. You'd either need to get access from above (remove the radiator) or drill yourself a new hold from the bottom of the frame to drill them out that way.

I've had really good luck gently turning the bolt in, out, in, out, in, repeat in little tiny increments. Always start by tightening the bolt (after penetrant, of course) to break the rust, then back it out a little, tighten, out, tighten. This allows you to slowly break the rust off the bolt as you go. Spray penetrant every other time or so if you can get to the exposed threads...

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
I've tried all my tricks and they get to a spot that's a no go. I'm not into any major repair with all the other parts I'm replacing right now. If no luck Saturday, I'll just replace the links. Damn thing should ride better with everything I've put on it. I think nobody did anything to this jeep but put gas in it. I'm also replacing tie rod ends. Both wheel bearings under the rotors feel smooth. So somebody did that anyway. Never owned anything rusty before and this is my last.
Thanks for your advice.

97 4 Popper
Check Craig's list. People are always up grading. Could get them cheap.
I know this is kind of late but are you still trying to get the sway bar bushings out? If they look okay from the outside I would just replace the links for now. Have you tried using kroil or acetone mixed with atf 4 if it still feels like it'll break then you may have to drill them out.

I ended up replacing my links even though I probably could have gone without. I went with cheap detroit axle sway bar links but wasn't able to grease them. They came with some grease already I just need to roll down the road for the next year or so until I get discos/extended links etc.

Thanks for your advice. Monday I'm going to remove the front bolts and try to bend it up enough to get the bushings out. If not I will wait til fall. I have to many projects to do and my metal garage is getting hotter everyday.

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper