Looking for advice on possible purchase

BigDes

First post on here! Be gentle!

I'm starting to look for an LJ to become my daily, so finding one that hasn't been hacked to hell is key.

Red would be my #1 choice but I just don't want a muted color. Also, needs to be automatic so the wife can drive it when needed. Doesn't NEED to be a Rubicon.

I live in Omaha, NE so I'm willing to travel to buy one in good shape.

Here's the good part - I've found a 2006 LJR that has 46k miles and looks like it is in pretty decent shape but it is NOT pristine. The price is listed at $20k and I want to know if I should entertain it. Oh yeah, it is Impact Orange too.

The front bumper looks rusty and there is a little rust in between the back bumper and the body - I feel like that is a common rust spot? The frame looks to be pretty good, BUT my thoughts are for $20k it should be immaculate - am I right in thinking this?

I have a few pictures but the sales rep is going to get it on a lift soon and get me more.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

An impact orange Unlimited Rubicon is a rare thing. That one looks to be in pretty good shape with low miles. I would say the price is right on.

Nothing scary there. Rust above the rear bumper is very common. Both of my Florida Jeeps had that. The body mounts in the pictures are rusted and that's pretty common also, not a concern to me. Frame looks pretty good. Need more pictures of the lower control arm mounts.

I've not bee looking since I found my LJR but I was doing a nationwide search forever. I see one going locally for $23K and I bet it will not last long.

Nothing scary there. Rust above the rear bumper is very common. Both of my Florida Jeeps had that. The body mounts in the pictures are rusted and that's pretty common also, not a concern to me. Frame looks pretty good. Need more pictures of the lower control arm mounts.
Good call, I'll ask for those. Thanks!

Nope, it is in Idaho. If I do it, it might be sight unseen, fly and drive her home.

Also, GBR!
Yeah, I thought it might be based on the sticker on the rear glass. Looks like a pretty nice one.

Good to have another local on the forum, there are a few more of us around here too.

looks good !!

Asking $20K is fair. Looks like a dealer sale.... lots of plusses and minuses there. No one knows how to clean up a ratty car better than a dealer who makes ratty cars his business. On the other a reputable dealer will shoot straight with you.

See if you can find comments about the dealer. Better Business Bureau etc ??

Reactions: mrjp and HardSell
thoughts are for $20k it should be immaculate - am I right in thinking this?
Built and wheeled LJ Rubicons are going for $18-20k here in New Mexico. Non Rubis are less common and should bring 5+ K less. I'd say out the door for 11k for a nice non Rubi. You gotta shell out 8K minimum to build up to Rubi performance, probably 4-5k for parts alone. There won't be any rust if the unit has stayed in NM. In January, I was serious about a base JL Rubi, but factory kept throwing curves regarding requiring unwanted electrical crap. Had to order one and return offers were screwing me. Have driven both the 3.6 and 2.0. Not worth 3.5X what I paid for my 4.0. The 4.0 is the best engine and so easy to work on...love mine, and of course, I clocked 285k on my beloved locked, stiffened and 31" equipped XJ before it was stolen... engine and PU gear box never touched, and I wheeled it hard all its life in Colorado and Moab. Still got 15-20mpg despite build. "Immaculate"? Buy a new JL. I gave <14k out-the-door for my built '05 Rubi.

Last edited:
Tell them we approved you for 18,500.00

Then hold your phone up and show them the Forum homepage.

Let us know what happens.

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba
I would post it the Idaho section and see if you can a Forum Member near there that would be willing to drive by and take a look at it. The dealers ALWAYS show the picture THEY want you to see. I When I bought my Rubi a few years ago I was looking at a very nice one in Salt Lake City and would have to fly from Oakland CA to purchase it. I found a Forum Member that was nice enough to drive by and look it over and send me more pictures. After seeing his pictures I started asking the dealer more questions, and then the dealer stopped replying to me emails, gee I wonder why. As it turned out the whole underside was undercoated very heavy, not that's a bad thing but it's also a way to cover up rust.

So ask and see if someone will take a look for you. Now be aware the LJR is the unicorn of the TJ line up and that nice person may just stop by tell you it's crap :poop: and buy it for them-self 😂

Reactions: HardSell and mrjp
Sales rep has stopped getting back to me and the Jeep is now listed at $22k on their website. Going the wrong way for my wallet, unfortunately. Probably gonna pass cause I'm sure they would be a joy to deal with. Especially with me being a distant buyer.

I'll post it over in jeep finds because of the rarity of the vehicle but I'll let everyone know what's up. Thanks for the input guys I'm sure I'll be posting more while I hunt for the right one for me.

Here's the link:
https://www.twinfallsdodge.com/used...falls-id-9627a4210a0e0ae77514c14f6cb0abb6.htm

Reactions: HardSell
I've found a 2006 LJR that has 46k miles and looks like it is in pretty decent shape but it is NOT pristine. The price is listed at $20k and I want to know if I should entertain it. Oh yeah, it is Impact Orange too.
That mileage is incredibly low...it should have no rust and should be pristine, something's amiss. The TJR I bought had 136,000 and absolutely no rust! I do all my own chassis lube work, so I see it. Buying in season's gonna cost you. Wait till November; better yet, Jan/Feb, March is too late. Jason, the owner of the lot I purchased from said he's never had a better season. I like the guy and his lot is not far from where I live. It's also just down the street from a Larry Miller. Just bought a soft top from Jason; he only had three Wranglers on his lot. No LJs. He had three LJs back in Feb when I got my TJR. Two were LJRs and one was a built LJ. My poor brother lost job and let his lifted 2006 LJR go back to financer for 15k back in 2013. We had just wheeled Blanca Pk. His and my son's did it easier than the shorter TJs. He offered it to me for 18K; my locked '87 XJ with Dana 44 was just fine, so I passed. My son bought his 2005 LJR spanking new; has wheeled the crap out of it; 35s; Tummy Tuck; 15,000lb Warn, all the goodies. Did Pritchett when it was 2 years old... got video. He also has a 4 door JKR. Wife wheels both. Good luck with your hunt. Unless you're my age, take your time be willing to walk away.