Looking for expert advice on these LJ's

mots

Goldilocks Jeep Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi Everyone,

Nice forum! I have been looking around for a bit and decided to join to see if someone can lend some expert advice.

I found these jeeps on the 'net all from the same small dealer. I am wondering:
1) Has anybody heard of or done business with this guy before?
2) What do you think of the following jeeps? Are the prices too high? Any comments about the quality of the aftermarket parts and mods that have been done?

Love this low mile '06 LJ here:
https://www.harriganfamilyauto.com/2006_Jeep_Wrangler_Perrysburg_OH_18915119.veh

Another nice '06 LJ with higher miles:
https://www.harriganfamilyauto.com/2006_Jeep_Wrangler_Perrysburg_OH_18712971.veh

One more '06 LJ:
https://www.harriganfamilyauto.com/2006_Jeep_Wrangler_Perrysburg_OH_18830820.veh

A nice '04 TJ that also caught my eye:
https://www.harriganfamilyauto.com/2004_Jeep_Wrangler_Perrysburg_OH_18713100.veh

The first three are all '06 LJ's with the 4 speed automatic. The '04 also has the automatic. I wouldn't mind having a manual, but I would rather have an auto so other family members can drive it more easily. I read about the OPDA issues already and how they don't officially affect the '06, yet some '06's still have reported problems. I will look out for this and I think we can skip that discussion here, unless someone really wants to comment on something important as related to the '06. They also have a few other Jeeps listed, so let me know if you think anything the have look like a better deal.

All comments welcome! I like the idea of buying something already modded, otherwise I feel I will spend too much $$$ over the next couple years. However, I want this to be a purchase that will likely hold it's value over the next decade or so. I don't know squat about the aftermarket world with Jeeps yet, so this will be my challenge when looking at modded Jeeps.

Thanks!

Seem like the Harrigan's server is down. Will re look later and offer my input.

OPDA is a well know and discussed issue for sure, look into the hard shifting issue. That is the one that may make you think twice on the 06 models.

Reactions: mots
There's a lot to consider when buying an already modified Jeep, including, but not limited to, what kind of lift? Was it installed correctly? Was an axle re-gear done to make up for lost performance due to larger tires?

I guess if you drive it, can determine the answers to those questions at least, and you like it, it would work for you. On the other hand, if it turns out you have to replace a lift down the road, you will spend more than if you bought a stock Jeep and modified it yourself from square one.

The prices seem high. I assume they are leaving themselves some wiggle room.

With the lack of information regarding the modifications (brand etc.) I don’t think anyone could really comment on them.

I can’t stand dealers that provide almost no information on the vehicles they’re selling. Presumably it is to get you to contact them, but it usually just leaves me disinterested.

I can’t begin to imagine how many dealers are out there that do the, find a jeep, put a lift and tires on it, make it look the part, sell it at a premium. Personally I’d rather buy one from an owner so I could get some actual background on it and the modifications if any. Most here, including myself, would prefer to buy a stock one and build it to our own needs and desires. I promise your wants will change the more you read and actually drive it.

Reactions: Chris and mots
My thoughts, for what they are worth.

Love the color of the first LJ (green one, rare'ish color), nice lower mileage. Excessive body lift, but that can be corrected, and a suspension lift could be added. One thing to consider with. the Auto 42RLE transmission. It has a very steep overdrive, so for the size tires they are running you would probably want to regear the axles to get more life and enjoyment out of that particular transmission. Also an external transmission cooler would be a good thing too. OPDA on anything 05/06 should be pulled and checked before you purchase, just to check wear, if its the stock OPDA, or if its been replaced, to see if there is a lot of cam gear damage.

2nd LJ, Red. I was interested till I saw the Angry Birds grill. Not a fan of some of the choices the previous owner made, but on thing that caught me attention in one of the pics was some of the surface rust on the underside of the tub.

3rd LJ, Silver is nice cause it looks pretty well stock, which means a previous owner didnt do much to modify it, and give you a clean slate to start from.

4th LJ, the 04. Isn't an LJ, but a really clean looking TJ from the pictures. 2004 didnt have the OPDA issues the later models had, which is a nice thing.

One thing I would do If I was looking at a Jeep in the rust belt, is get underneath it on a creeper with the eye protection on, and look around. Lots of dealers will give a rusty jeep a quick once over with spray paint. Make sure there isn't excessive rust. Ask the dealer if he will run a CarFax on any of the Jeeps your interested in, and see if they come from even farther north than where you are. If you are willing to drive a bit for a Jeep, find one here in the South, or out west, and avoid a lot of rust issues from the get go.

Reactions: skrelnik and mots
Thanks for the advice and comments thus far! Already some great points and some things I didn't see (like the Angry Birds grill!). I'm hoping to head out and see them in person sometime soon, but I want to be a little better educated before I do.

@Jorge thanks, I'll definitely look into the "hard shifting issue" with the 42RLE. Let me know if you can access the site later, would love to hear your input!

@glwood good points. I have been wondering about the axle gearing and larger tires etc. I see that some of the handheld tuners can fix the speedo etc., but it can't make up for the physical changes that have been made with gearing. I think I read somewhere that the earlier auto 3 speed handled these mods better. Is this correct?

@cjaama exactly! I realize there are a lot of subpar parts out there. Hopefully the guy knows more about the mods and history of these Jeeps than what is listed on the site.

@JeepZilla380 great points and rundown on each, I really appreciate it! If I buy an 05/06, I will ask about pulling the OPDA to have a look, but I'm guessing most dealers and private sellers wouldn't comply with such a request. Still worth a try though! Might be a bargaining chip if they don't want to allow it.

It definitely sounds like I'll need to be really careful with the modded ones. I would call myself a "car guy" and I have some good experience working on all kinds of cars for over 30 years. But, my experience is mainly with performance mods for cars (VW's, Mazdas, turbos, downpipes, E85 mixes etc). I only started learning more about Jeeps recently, and the modding scene is a lot different from what I am familiar!

Reactions: alittleoff
The stock OPDA would have a sticker with info similar to this, up to a REV E if I remember correctly:
LDI,INC
P/N 53010624AC
4224-REV-B

I dont think my aftermarket Crown unit has a sticker. So if you see that sticker, or similar, its a stock OPDA.

The stock OPDA would have a sticker with info similar to this, up to a REV E if I remember correctly:
LDI,INC
P/N 53010624AC
4224-REV-B

I dont think my aftermarket Crown unit has a sticker. So if you see that sticker, or similar, its a stock OPDA.

Awesome, that is really helpful, thanks!

The 'hard shifting' issue with the 42RLE is a first, I am not sure what that refers to (I have that automatic transmission)...I don't recall hearing of that on this auto tranny. I do know that there can be an issue with regearing, due to the .69 overdrive. Shops can give you advice for gears, that won't work with the 42RLE due to that overdrive if the shop doesn't take that into account.

Let us know what you discover upon inspection of the possibilities.

The 'hard shifting' issue with the 42RLE is a first, I am not sure what that refers to (I have that automatic transmission)...I don't recall hearing of that on this auto tranny. I do know that there can be an issue with regearing, due to the .69 overdrive. Shops can give you advice for gears, that won't work with the 42RLE due to that overdrive if the shop doesn't take that into account.

Let us know what you discover upon inspection of the possibilities.

Thanks, will do. It looks like “hard shifting when cold” is a PCM issue on some years, so it’s a software issue, not a hardware issue.

Edit: tried to paste a link to another forum that must not be allowed.

Last edited:
Hi @mots ,
I do look at the LJ on the links. Prices are not that bad for what we are seeing lately for an stock LJ with high miles. I will said that they are more intended for financing porpoises, but without cash on hand will be hard to negotiate the sames.
I do think I saw few jeeps from this dealer on the past online but never stop by them. I will like to said that Your best bet is to go there and saw this jeeps in person, no ask much of a questions, let them talk and offer. I will also look at the under body conditions, That Red LJ looks that has been wheeled not because the upgrade options but because no have the carpet. Maybe flood? If the Jeep has this mods and is a trail rig with potentials issues it must has scratches some where in the undercarriage, especially the gas tank skid.

The greenish LJ seem to be just body lifted and with Hard top is even more attractive if you like that top style, if not is a $1500.00 savings account for other mods. The cowl cover ask for HVAC system inspection, set the blower to High and see what blows out. The fender flares are a possible indication of rust repair. The motor bay looks like a performance car with the cold air intake (eye candy BTW) but a good indication of some work has been done looking for power to move the 35's KM tires at 75+ mph on the highway, so look for other related mods on this area.

The Silver LJ is pure stock. Look at body rust repair, other will be probably typical use wore out conditions.

My suggestion always will be get a stock LJ, is a lot to learn but as long you no wants to jump on 4" lift and run 37" tires all work is easy to manage and easy to correct issues if happens.
Does not let go the fact that many of this Jeeps get received as a trade in, some has the mileage but has been good take care of and others has some issue especially with how they drive after many mods.

Good Luck!
If you decide to stop by the dealer, Please let Us know the findings.

Hi @mots ,
I do look at the LJ on the links. Prices are not that bad for what we are seeing lately for an stock LJ with high miles. I will said that they are more intended for financing porpoises, but without cash on hand will be hard to negotiate the sames.
I do think I saw few jeeps from this dealer on the past online but never stop by them. I will like to said that Your best bet is to go there and saw this jeeps in person, no ask much of a questions, let them talk and offer. I will also look at the under body conditions, That Red LJ looks that has been wheeled not because the upgrade options but because no have the carpet. Maybe flood? If the Jeep has this mods and is a trail rig with potentials issues it must has scratches some where in the undercarriage, especially the gas tank skid.

The greenish LJ seem to be just body lifted and with Hard top is even more attractive if you like that top style, if not is a $1500.00 savings account for other mods. The cowl cover ask for HVAC system inspection, set the blower to High and see what blows out. The fender flares are a possible indication of rust repair. The motor bay looks like a performance car with the cold air intake (eye candy BTW) but a good indication of some work has been done looking for power to move the 35's KM tires at 75+ mph on the highway, so look for other related mods on this area.

The Silver LJ is pure stock. Look at body rust repair, other will be probably typical use wore out conditions.

My suggestion always will be get a stock LJ, is a lot to learn but as long you no wants to jump on 4" lift and run 37" tires all work is easy to manage and easy to correct issues if happens.
Does not let go the fact that many of this Jeeps get received as a trade in, some has the mileage but has been good take care of and others has some issue especially with how they drive after many mods.

Good Luck!
If you decide to stop by the dealer, Please let Us know the findings.

Thanks for the info and ideas of what to look for!

I went and test drove the near stock '04 TJ yesterday afternoon (4th link above or see Auto Trader link below).

04 TJ: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=482150601&zip=43528&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=43528&startYear=2004&sortBy=relevance&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2004&modelCodeList=WRANGLER&makeCodeList=JEEP&searchRadius=50&startYear=2004&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2004&modelCodeList=WRANGLER&makeCodeList=JEEP&searchRadius=50&makeCode1=JEEP&modelCode1=WRANGLER

I also had a decent look at the LJ's in the links above, and some other TJ's as well. This place has a lot of Jeeps. They locate and procure good specimens from around the country. They fix what needs fixing (important things) and maybe pretty them up a bit with donor parts etc., and then sell them. They offer low rate financing to those with good credit through local banks as an option.

Before I arrived, I had already decided that I should get something close to stock form, and not spend 15k+ on a modified rig with a bunch of unknowns. I will be more comfortable paying ~$10k for a good solid stock TJ with ~100k-ish miles and proper maint. records. Since I had just dropped in unannounced, I looked at all of the jeeps by myself for about 25 minutes. Then, I shot the shit with a mechanic that works on the jeeps while we waited for the owner to get back to the small dealership. The owner seems like a decent guy and is passionate about what he is doing. He told me I could take any of the jeeps for a spin.

As far as the '04 TJ test drive in the auto trader link above, the condition was good for an '04. Black on black, nice looking Jeep. It rolled nice and tracked straight. The road temperament, noise and traction was noisy and sloppy considering the Mickey Thompsons. Soft top was in decent shape, but he will sell it with the hardtop instead if desired (thought it came with both as per the pics, so this was disappointing). Interior was in decent shape, A/C was working, and It had a decent aftermarket Alpine system with Bluetooth (a must for me if I get an older car!). I could not find any rust problems on the body or frame. If you look at the underbody in the pics, I had the same problem in person. It is hard to find places where you can see the bare metal, which makes it frustrating. All the metal seems to be coated in the black oilish clay, or something like that. Maybe it was coated with a protectant or bed liner paint at some point, not sure.

Anyhow, there was no need to look much closer after the test drive. This would be a decent off-roading machine with the low end torque, but the 3.07 axle ratio and the slightly oversize tires made this a very sluggish ride on the road, especially after getting up to speed and trying to push past 55 MPH. I was also disappointed in the braking capability. It was worse than I thought it would be.

After the discussions/advice above and the reality of the test drive, I'm pretty sure I know exactly what I want now. Progress! Since I would will spend more time on road than off, I definitely want the 4.10 Dana 44 axle to help with sluggishness. I'll also want more mild mannered road tires, but don't want the super tiny ones. A 30-31" A/T would probably be good for me. If I can find a '03 to '06 Rubicon in stock form, with the 4.10 axle and 4 disc brakes and the 30.5" tires, I think that would be perfect for me.

Here is one I may go look at next if I can find time and it is still around. Let me know what you think. Single owner, looks pretty clean. Need to see the underbody for sure...

'04 Rubicon: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=482101857&zip=43528&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=43528&startYear=2004&sortBy=relevance&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2006&modelCodeList=WRANGLER&makeCodeList=JEEP&searchRadius=50&startYear=2004&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2006&modelCodeList=WRANGLER&makeCodeList=JEEP&searchRadius=50&makeCode1=JEEP&modelCode1=WRANGLER

I went and test drove the near stock '04 TJ yesterday afternoon (4th link above or see Auto Trader link below).

04 TJ: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=482150601&zip=43528&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=43528&startYear=2004&sortBy=relevance&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2004&modelCodeList=WRANGLER&makeCodeList=JEEP&searchRadius=50&startYear=2004&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2004&modelCodeList=WRANGLER&makeCodeList=JEEP&searchRadius=50&makeCode1=JEEP&modelCode1=WRANGLER

I also had a decent look at the LJ's in the links above, and some other TJ's as well. This place has a lot of Jeeps. They locate and procure good specimens from around the country. They fix what needs fixing (important things) and maybe pretty them up a bit with donor parts etc., and then sell them. They offer low rate financing to those with good credit through local banks as an option.

Before I arrived, I had already decided that I should get something close to stock form, and not spend 15k+ on a modified rig with a bunch of unknowns. I will be more comfortable paying ~$10k for a good solid stock TJ with ~100k-ish miles and proper maint. records. Since I had just dropped in unannounced, I looked at all of the jeeps by myself for about 25 minutes. Then, I shot the shit with a mechanic that works on the jeeps while we waited for the owner to get back to the small dealership. The owner seems like a decent guy and is passionate about what he is doing. He told me I could take any of the jeeps for a spin.

As far as the '04 TJ test drive in the auto trader link above, the condition was good for an '04. Black on black, nice looking Jeep. It rolled nice and tracked straight. The road temperament, noise and traction was noisy and sloppy considering the Mickey Thompsons. Soft top was in decent shape, but he will sell it with the hardtop instead if desired (thought it came with both as per the pics, so this was disappointing). Interior was in decent shape, A/C was working, and It had a decent aftermarket Alpine system with Bluetooth (a must for me if I get an older car!). I could not find any rust problems on the body or frame. If you look at the underbody in the pics, I had the same problem in person. It is hard to find places where you can see the bare metal, which makes it frustrating. All the metal seems to be coated in the black oilish clay, or something like that. Maybe it was coated with a protectant or bed liner paint at some point, not sure.

Anyhow, there was no need to look much closer after the test drive. This would be a decent off-roading machine with the low end torque, but the 3.07 axle ratio and the slightly oversize tires made this a very sluggish ride on the road, especially after getting up to speed and trying to push past 55 MPH. I was also disappointed in the braking capability. It was worse than I thought it would be.

After the discussions/advice above and the reality of the test drive, I'm pretty sure I know exactly what I want now. Progress! Since I would will spend more time on road than off, I definitely want the 4.10 Dana 44 axle to help with sluggishness. I'll also want more mild mannered road tires, but don't want the super tiny ones. A 30-31" A/T would probably be good for me. If I can find a '03 to '06 Rubicon in stock form, with the 4.10 axle and 4 disc brakes and the 30.5" tires, I think that would be perfect for me.

Here is one I may go look at next if I can find time and it is still around. Let me know what you think. Single owner, looks pretty clean. Need to see the underbody for sure...

'04 Rubicon: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=482101857&zip=43528&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=43528&startYear=2004&sortBy=relevance&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2006&modelCodeList=WRANGLER&makeCodeList=JEEP&searchRadius=50&startYear=2004&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2006&modelCodeList=WRANGLER&makeCodeList=JEEP&searchRadius=50&makeCode1=JEEP&modelCode1=WRANGLER
Theres some bad rust on that red Rubicon. Rear passenger on the back of the tub.

Reactions: alittleoff and mots
I maybe guessing on this, because I've only seen the interior of a friends Tomb Raider Rubicon. I see an "axle lock" switch, shouldn't the other two be "front-rear"? Also does it have two different tail light housing?
Opps, brain fart & just remembered. Are the lockers activated by the same switch?

Last edited:
Theres some bad rust on that red Rubicon. Rear passenger on the back of the tub.

Thanks! I see what you mean now. I hadn’t cycled through all the pics on a big enough screen. Might go back and look at the stock LJ in the first post (3rd link) and see what else I can find. The LJ has the 3.73 axle at least, but still really want to find a 4.10 to try. May need to test drive the one with rust to see what it’s like.

Reactions: alittleoff
I maybe guessing on this, because I've only seen the interior of a friends Tomb Raider Rubicon. I see an "axle lock" switch, shouldn't the other two be "front-rear"? Also does it have two different tail light housing?
The Rubicon axle lock switch controls both lockers. IIRC press it down once for rear lock, down again for front lock, up to unlock both.

Reactions: mots and alittleoff
Also ask the dealer if there is an off road location to test the 4-wheel drive and/or lockers.
In my own experience, when I test drove a '98 4-Runner, I headed for some hills near by to test out the rear locker. Everything worked. The sales guy said that it was more fun than the freeway.

Hey Guys,
Welp, I drove the green body lifted LJ, not for me. But, I found a stock '05 Rocky Mountain Edition in really good shape inside an out (manual 6-spd with the Dana 44/3.73 and factory hardtop etc.). Everything in working order. The body has no rust bubbling anywhere, but has one rust spot the size of a penny on the hood where the paint was chipped. Underbody has a bit of rust, expected for the age, but the frame is solid. If I get it, I'll probably sand it down and coat with the anti-rust coating. Carfax is clean with great service records and no accidents.

Only hesitation is the price. $13,500. Was hoping for something lower, but in the rust belt, I can't be picky can I?!!

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

04 TJ Rocky Mountain.jpg

Hey Guys,
Welp, I drove the green body lifted LJ, not for me. But, I found a stock '05 Rocky Mountain Edition in really good shape inside an out (manual 6-spd with the Dana 44/3.73 and factory hardtop etc.). Everything in working order. The body has no rust bubbling anywhere, but has one rust spot the size of a penny on the hood where the paint was chipped. Underbody has a bit of rust, expected for the age, but the frame is solid. If I get it, I'll probably sand it down and coat with the anti-rust coating. Carfax is clean with great service records and no accidents.

Only hesitation is the price. $13,500. Was hoping for something lower, but in the rust belt, I can't be picky can I?!!

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

That’s only one photo so it’s hard to say for sure, but it looks clean based off that photo. For that price though it had better have little to no rust.

As a comparison, I paid 20k for my 05 Rubicon with 50k miles and it’s an original owner vehicle. Also no rust at all!