Looking for feedback and opinions on wheels and tires for my TJ

Lowcountryearl

TJ Enthusiast
I've been reading post on this forum for months as well as other internet searches trying to figure out which wheels and tires to buy. I know it's a personal choice for the most part but looking for practical advice. My 98 has a 2 or 2.5 inch lift by the PO, hate the street tires and don't like the wheels as well. It's not that money doesn't matter but this is a one time shot to get it right so the cost is not forefront. Basically looking at 15 and 16 inch rims and up to a 32 inch tire. I don't want to change anything on the jeep like gearing, beefed up steering etc, angle changing etc, not many hills or rocks in Charleston SC, mostly drive to the beach and hunting trails.
I want a all terrain tire, not a mud tire, looking at KO2, Cooper discovery, Goodyear Wrangler and Falken Wildpeak, not sold on those but they seem popular and get pretty good reviews.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I would go with 15 X 8 wheels for anything under 35". I really like by MT Classic II wheels when I had them. All of your tire choices seem good. I would just watch the prices.

Not sure about the KO2, but I know the original KO was known for getting a lot of miles. The GY Duratrac has a nice look to it, looks similar to an MT and handles well in wet conditions.

15’s alloy if you can find a style you like, there a lot lighter which helps ALOT with fuel MPG and general ride quality. Metals are in but heavy and occasionally a pain to balance.

especiallybif your not worried about basing them on rocks, Inwould spend more and get an alloy. Oh and for gods sake get a spare to match, don’t cheap and get 4.

for tires, if you want A/T it’s hard to beat the K02’s. Goodyear Duratracts are also good. I made a thread here a while back, though it’s more M/T based.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/“best”-31x10-5r15-tire.43529/

32 is an odd size for TJ’s normally 31 is about as big if you are going to get without supporting mods, but normally the next size up is 33.

I’ll second an alloy 15” wheel. Far more tire choices than 16”. I have KO2s on my TJ now and they have been great. Zero complaints.

Why the negative feelings on the 16" wheels?

It's an in between size, not much tire selection. I'd either do 15" or 17". 17" has more room for brakes, but looks odd with smaller tires.

Feel free to do 16" if you find a wheel and tire you like though. Just don't get 33's hoping to move up to 35's later, etc.

The setup I have now rubs the front when I make a hard turn like in a parking lot. I don't know the back spacing on the current wheels but the ones I'm looking at have a 3.75 in back spacing, if I went with 33's would the rubbing be worse? Kinda why I was looking at 32x11.5 tires

Tire height and width along with the wheel backspacing all factor in so from what we currently know the 33s will rub worse than the 32s you have now IF they are the same width and mounted on a wheel with the same back spacing.

How much changing the tire width and wheel back spacing will effect that is a little more math and trigonometry than I can currently handle.

Problem is, there is alot of variables. your best bet is to find your current back spacing and then see if more or less back spacing would help the tires not rub (depends on where there rubbing) as a general rule, larger tires will rub more, but it's not that simple. weather or not your rub and where depednds on everything related with your tires, fenders, and suspension. so being over the internet it's hard for us to diagnose that. Though, like always, Pictures help.

I believe they are 275/65 on 18 inch rims,,32.1x10.8/18
I can't necessarily give you the rundown on specs that will/won't fit and where the cutoff is between, but it looks like our setups are similar, so I can tell you what works with mine, which should work well with yours or at least give you a data point.

I have a 2.5" lift on my TJ and am running 31x10.5 on 15" rims with 3.75" backspacing and get no rubbing in any scenario. I'm currently running Kelly Edge ATs and I've been happy with them for the most part. They're a mild AT that does great on-road and fine off. When I need to replace, I'll be moving to either the BFG KO2, General Grabber or Toyo Open Country AT3 as these have a heaver duty sidewall than the Kelly's (3-ply vs. 2), which is important with all the sharp rocks we have here in the desert.

20200212_150912.jpg

20200530_113727.jpg