Looking for first TJ buying advice and issues with 05-06 TJs

laketoys

I've owned a few Jeeps, but not a TJ. I like the idea of getting a final year 06 6cyl Rubicon or Sport. However, I've seen various comments from forum folks stating to stay away from 05-06 Jeeps. Not certain what those issues are, but if I find a low mileage 05-06 are the issues the same? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm looking now at a pampered 06 Rubicon with only 27k miles on it. Thanks!

The later automatics have PCM issues.
The OPDA thing should be replaced regularly too.
And rust, always an issue on any TJ.

Reactions: laketoys
I've owned a few Jeeps, but not a TJ. I like the idea of getting a final year 06 6cyl Rubicon or Sport. However, I've seen various comments from forum folks stating to stay away from 05-06 Jeeps. Not certain what those issues are, but if I find a low mileage 05-06 are the issues the same? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm looking now at a pampered 06 Rubicon with only 27k miles on it. Thanks!
If the price is right, go for it! Many here have late model TJs.

my opinion is it is overblown I know there are some issues but other years have their own issues. I would not get hung on an 06 because it the last year, it adds no value. Find the best condition you can get in a color and specifications you want and grab it.

OPDA issue is very simple to diagnose and fix. Takes less time to change the OPDA than to change spark plugs. Took me 20 minutes at most.

I have had no PCM issues, but I only have 48k on the jeep.

Reactions: Equilibrium31
I just posted this (below) in a very similar thread this afternoon asking about the 05-06 models, so I'm going to post it here as well:

The OPDA thing is overblown. Yes, you will find some who will say it's not and warn you to stay away from 05 models as if they are the plague. However, I've owned two 2005 models, and I have friends who own 2005 models as well. None of them including myself have ever had any OPDA issues, ever.

So you can take that for what it's worth. Again, I think it's been blown drastically out of proportion. Anything mechanical fails over time. It just so happens that some of them had issues while others didn't. The ones that had issues failed prematurely.

A bad OPDA is obvious. It will start squealing and the sound will be loud and unmistakable. The other way you can check for a OPDA that might be about to go bad is to remove the OPDA (a very easy procedure), which you can read more about in this thread: What is the OPDA and do I need to change mine?

As for PCM issues, those are more uncommon than OPDA issues. That literally wouldn't even be on my list of worries.

Your number one worry should be rust, period.

Since I fully expect this thread to now devolve into an OPDA cage match, I'm going to bow out of this thread. You can listen to all the opinions you want. However, I'm going to leave my opinion (as I did before), and that is that the OPDA issue had been drastically blown out of proportion, as with almost everything else on the internet.

I just posted this (below) in a very similar thread this afternoon asking about the 05-06 models, so I'm going to post it here as well:

The OPDA thing is overblown. Yes, you will find some who will say it's not and warn you to stay away from 05 models as if they are the plague. However, I've owned two 2005 models, and I have friends who own 2005 models as well. None of them including myself have ever had any OPDA issues, ever.

So you can take that for what it's worth. Again, I think it's been blown drastically out of proportion. Anything mechanical fails over time. It just so happens that some of them had issues while others didn't. The ones that had issues failed prematurely.

A bad OPDA is obvious. It will start squealing and the sound will be loud and unmistakable. The other way you can check for a OPDA that might be about to go bad is to remove the OPDA (a very easy procedure), which you can read more about in this thread: What is the OPDA and do I need to change mine?

As for PCM issues, those are more uncommon than OPDA issues. That literally wouldn't even be on my list of worries.

Your number one worry should be rust, period.

Since I fully expect this thread to now devolve into an OPDA cage match, I'm going to bow out of this thread. You can listen to all the opinions you want. However, I'm going to leave my opinion (as I did before), and that is that the OPDA issue had been drastically blown out of proportion, as with almost everything else on the internet.

I appreciate your advice, as well as everyone else who replied. I've seen a few people say "stay clear of 05-06", but there was not much detail behind it. Like you said, every vehicle has it's issues, and it's nice to know what these are. Does not sound like the OPDA and PCM are deal breakers. This helps my "shopping list". Thanks again!

Reactions: Chris
I appreciate your advice, as well as everyone else who replied. I've seen a few people say "stay clear of 05-06", but there was not much detail behind it. Like you said, every vehicle has it's issues, and it's nice to know what these are. Does not sound like the OPDA and PCM are deal breakers. This helps my "shopping list". Thanks again!

Happy to help.

Remember, as with everything else on the internet, you rarely read about the good things, only the bad things.

For every 1 person complaining about an OPDA failure. I'd bet there is 300 more who would have no complaints at all.

My OPDA did make the infamous noise soon after I bought it. But it was such an easy replacement that it didn't concern me. No different than replacing any other wear item.

If you're worried about it, the part costs $109. Buy it and keep it on hand until you have time to swap it. There's hundreds of YouTube videos on how to replace it. No more difficult than changing an alternator.

I've only owned my '05 LJ for a few months, but what problems I've had have been problems that any 15ish year old vehicle with over 160k miles could have pop up. O2 sensor and needing plugs and a new coil pack. Everything else has been "self inflicted".

I would look into the PCM and automatic transmission shifting issues on the 05 and 06. Mine is a manual tranny so no worries here. Some have had fits with shifting problems they can't get corrected due to the PMC, and replacements are far a and few between.

My only advice is move on that Rubi, if it is really 'pampered' and in great shape with that mileage. If not, I guarantee someone else will.

Agree with all of the above. The OPDA issue is easily resolved if you replace it before the cam is damaged and reuse the original cam position sensor. So no big deal at all, especially on lower mileage examples.

The PCM issues with an auto trans seem much more difficult to resolve but not sure how often that issue occurs. So I might steer away from a late auto TJ.

I have an '05 LJR 6 spd and I am pretty happy with it so far. A lot of people seem to hate the 6spd transmission but I have no concerns with it. Mine can be a little finicky about going into reverse but when it's in gear, it stays in gear. It has never popped out of gear (1st, reverse) which some people have experienced. And if you do dislike the 6 speed, you can do a direct swap to the earlier 5spd which is plentiful and not terribly expensive.

Rust is a concern with any TJ, no more of a concern with later years than earlier years.

I’ve had an 06 LJR, since last August (2018) and have no real concerns with it. Up front there were some sensors that threw me into limp mode (<$100 and a little time) and the OPDA had a tick, so I swapped that (~$100).

Oh, and my AC went out, but that’s a consequence of age primarily.

Otherwise it’s been pretty great and I am still in the phase of changing out the standard wear items (U-Joints, Unit Bearings, Fluids) before doing much building. All stuff most folks can do at home if time allows.

Since I fully expect this thread to now devolve into an OPDA cage match, I'm going to bow out of this thread.

TWO OPINION ENTERS! ONE OPINION LEAVES!
X6SB.gif

Seriously though, I have an '06 4.0 SE and the only issue I've encountered that's exclusive to this year is the gas overflow, which was a quick, cheap fix. Agreed with what Chris said though: Rust is the #1 concern and the rest isn't worth sweating over.

Reactions: Chris and rasband
I own a 2006 LJ Rubicon. I thoroughly researched the idiosyncrasies of each model year before my purchase.

There are two primary issues with the 2005 and 2006 model years - The OPDA (oil pump drive assembly) and an issue with the ECU that causes hard shifts from 1-2 when the automatic transmission is cold. Both of these issues are overblown and the Internet forums are filled with Chicken Little reactions and predictions of doom and gloom by keyboard jeepers who should know better.

OPDA - easily repaired for about $110 in parts. The usual fix is an aftermarket unit from Crown rather than the OEM part, but retaining the OEM sensor.

ECU - This only affects automatic transmissions. The symptom is a hard shift from 1-2 when cold. The reports of this issue involve a statistically insignificant percentage of the 2005 and 2006 production runs, but grew to near hysteria by some jeep forum posters because Chrysler is no longer supplying ECU's for those years. However, rebuilt ECU's are available from several aftermarket sources and reports from those who have experienced the hard shift issue and purchased an aftermarket rebuilt ECU have been that the replacement ECU was a complete fix. Replacement ECU's average about $800-$900. Even without a replacement ECU, the unfortunate few who experience this issue can work around it simply by letting the engine warm up a bit before starting off in the morning - total cost $0.

Bottom line - every model year has idiosyncrasies and perceived defects. In the case of a Jeep TJ the model year is less significant than overall condition and the service history.

I own a 2006 LJ Rubicon. I thoroughly researched the idiosyncrasies of each model year before my purchase.

There are two primary issues with the 2005 and 2006 model years - The OPDA (oil pump drive assembly) and an issue with the ECU that causes hard shifts from 1-2 when the automatic transmission is cold. Both of these issues are overblown and the Internet forums are filled with Chicken Little reactions and predictions of doom and gloom by keyboard jeepers who should know better.

OPDA - easily repaired for about $110 in parts. The usual fix is an aftermarket unit from Crown rather than the OEM part, but retaining the OEM sensor.

ECU - This only affects automatic transmissions. The symptom is a hard shift from 1-2 when cold. The reports of this issue involve a statistically insignificant percentage of the 2005 and 2006 production runs, but grew to near hysteria by some jeep forum posters because Chrysler is no longer supplying ECU's for those years. However, rebuilt ECU's are available from several aftermarket sources and reports from those who have experienced the hard shift issue and purchased an aftermarket rebuilt ECU have been that the replacement ECU was a complete fix. Replacement ECU's average about $800-$900. Even without a replacement ECU, the unfortunate few who experience this issue can work around it simply by letting the engine warm up a bit before starting off in the morning - total cost $0.

Bottom line - every model year has idiosyncrasies and perceived defects. In the case of a Jeep TJ the model year is less significant than overall condition and the service history.

Is a PCM and ECU the same thing? I'm not very familiar with these components (yet). Thank you!

This is a very very good thread.... When you're talking about a 2006 with 27000 miles that's been well taken care of, those two possible issues should not override the decision to purchase that vehicle if everything is as it seems and what the buyer is looking for. Note "possible issues."

I bought an 03 , and avoided all that ..then needed a new winch (rusted internals ) tires , a lift , shocks , gears. I'd gladly foot a pcm and opda bill over l that. Gladly . These aren't things that "could" go wrong , they pretty much had .