Looking for info on how to change 2001 TJ Transmission Pump Seal

Badass

Hi folks. I recently bought a 2001 TJ with 94,000mi, auto trans, 4.3liter.. the people that sold it to me forgot to mention the tranny pump seal is bad. Instead they had some purrfect auto guy jerry rig it so the fluid wasn't leaking & the light would stay off long enough to sell it to me. I found the recommended repairs statement from the Jeep dealership in the glovebox. It's dated a few months prior to them selling it to me....
Anyway, enough of my boo-hooing.
Can anyone give me some insight or shoot me a link on how i can repair it? Id surely appreciate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Hi folks. I recently bought a 2001 TJ with 94,000mi, auto trans, 4.3liter.. the people that sold it to me forgot to mention the tranny pump seal is bad. Instead they had some purrfect auto guy jerry rig it so the fluid wasn't leaking & the light would stay off long enough to sell it to me. I found the recommended repairs statement from the Jeep dealership in the glovebox. It's dated a few months prior to them selling it to me....
Anyway, enough of my boo-hooing.
Can anyone give me some insight or shoot me a link on how i can repair it? Id surely appreciate it.
Oops! 4.0 liter....not 4.3!

Jerry is spot on (as always). That PDF is taken from the factory service manual, and therefore everything in it is exactly what the techs at the dealership would do. Use Ctrl+F on your PC (or Command+F on your Mac) and search it for "oil pump". You'll find exactly what you were looking for!