Looking for opinions on home inspection report (roofing and pool experts)

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Looking for feedback from some of you folks on this home inspection report:

https://www.spectora.com/reports/7b...7c8?id_token=54a61df0f1b4aa6e7519f2dd19d87167
The only things that immediately stand out are the stem wall stains on the foundation, the roof issues, and the air in the return lines in the pool.

Is this stuff worth having checked out by a professional, or do you think it's minor?

Aside from that stuff, the other things are very small and I can easily take care of them myself.

I read the report and didn't see anything that would scare me away. I'd have the loose roof tiles fixed, have the air in the pool lines inspected in case the solution involves digging up concrete to get to the line. The stains on the stem wall are insignificant to me. I know you have children so make sure they can swim or add pool protection. Have you contacted your home insurance agent to see if a pool fence is required or if not having protection will raise your insurance rate? I might consider increasing my property liability limits in case of a pool accident. Good luck!

Reactions: billiebob and Chris
I reckon its all minor. Stains in the slab are from the metal re-inforcement close to the edge of the slab. Pool is a typical pool air leak and the tiles are typical tile issues that just need some maintenance.

These reports like car PPI's focus on the negative. For it's age there's not a lot of work to do, it's all minor or cosmetic.

Reactions: Chris
Being in the contracting field my entire life (35+ yrs).... I have to say I'm impressed with the inspection report... granted a lot of it is generic but it is a very through report. I have seen much worse...

I think I would look into the roofing tiles repairs prior & if justified negotiate a price on the repair with the homeowner. (being from New England I do not have experience with clay tile roofing but any roofing issue would be a concern)....

Foundation doesn't concern me as much....

Pool.... so with the automation side of my business we work with a lot of pool companies.... I will just suggest you have the pool issues checked by a reputable pool company.... If they are reputable they will be honest... Pool repairs can be 100's or $$$$$$$.

Most all the other stuff are easy fixes & /or non-issues in my opinion....

Chris, roof inspection leaves a lot to be desired as he didn't get on the second story and many of his notes were not accompanied by supporting photos. With that said, I didn't see anything that alarms me on the roof. Sliding tiles and mortar repair is easy and not too hard on the wallet; it's essentially maintenance that accompanies most tile roofs.

That self adhering modified bitumen flat roof on the other hand, is a shit product that lasts maybe 15 years. If it is indeed cracking, id replace it. I certainly wouldn't install it in a hot ass climate like Arizona. Your better off with a white .060 TPO with welded seams.

I buy and sell a house or two per year, and do much of the work myself. This is a fairly detailed inspection. Keep in mind inspectors are not experts typically in any area of what they inspect. They have good general knowledge at best.

I agree with the comments above. I would get a repair estimate on the pool and the roof. The buyer will likely agree to pay for it in today's economy. No one wants to lose a deal. I know, I have a house under contract right now.

Thanks guys! I'll probably just call a pool person and a roofer out and have them give quotes. I think that in this economy the buyers will be likely to fix it, especially since it's not likely to be a huge repair bill.

I didn't see anything there that was that alarming to me either, but I also don't know roofs and pools at all.

The house as built in 2015, so it's still reasonably new.

You're making the right call getting a second opinion from a pro in the field. I am about $8-$9k into repairs on the home I am selling due to the buyers inspection finding hail damage to the roof, and some hidden issues in the crawl space aside from nit picking it to death. I will pay to keep the deal alive, and see what I can get back from insurance. Flipping ain't easy, but I still have some potential on this one if it closes as planned.

stains look like nail heads to me, stucco's not very thick.

roof i might have a service call on just to inspect the underlay (since it's original). and later if you purchase, to tidy up the gaps and crap mortar work.

Well, found out why there is air in the pool lines.

The home owner had the pool installed 8 months ago and sent these to my realtor.

Resized952020041695153900.jpg

Resized952020041695153854.jpg

Resized_20200416_153504.jpg

As far as the roof goes, it's being fixed under warranty.

Reactions: LJGreg and AMS417
Ozone is a great thing in pools and spas. With that said, there are 3 things on this planet I utterly refuse to have anything to do with: Horses, Boats, and Swimming Pools!

Ozone is a great thing in pools and spas. With that said, there are 3 things on this planet I utterly refuse to have anything to do with: Horses, Boats, and Swimming Pools!

Haha, yes, I've heard that.

Which is funny, because my daughter wants all three, I kid you not.

You ask her what she wants and she'll say "a pool, a horse, and a boat".

I think she just wants to see me go broke :ROFLMAO:

Haha, yes, I've heard that.

Which is funny, because my daughter wants all three, I kid you not.

You ask her what she wants and she'll say "a pool, a horse, and a boat".

I think she just wants to see me go broke :ROFLMAO:
Probably. Goddess help any man who has a woman with horse fever, I've seen it a few times...

My wife and I both grew up with horses, and know how much work they are, never mind the expense. She wants a pool and a boat now as well. We compromised: We're getting a swim spa instead and if she wants to go out on a boat, we can rent one. The best boat is SOMEBODY ELSE'S!

Probably. Goddess help any man who has a woman with horse fever, I've seen it a few times...

My wife and I both grew up with horses, and know how much work they are, never mind the expense. She wants a pool and a boat now as well. We compromised: We're getting a swim spa instead and if she wants to go out on a boat, we can rent one. The best boat is SOMEBODY ELSE'S!

Funny, I said the same thing about the boat. If you want a boat, I’ll rent someone else’s.

As for the horse, I looked into the cost of ownership and instantly said no. I said you get one thing and one thing only, so she decided it was a pool. At least I won’t have to pay to heat it in Arizona.

Glad the roof is being fixed / covered under warranty....

Luckily my wife had horses before she met me & she was all set with that... besides our 4 dogs cost enough... :)

We've had a pool for the last 18+ years & although there is maintenance I don't mind having it.... ours is a 16 x 32 in-ground (liner) with a heater (New England). the pool is 40yrs old & only on its second liner, just put in our first new pump but other than that just the maintenance.... which is a lot but being able to hang out in it after a day at work is pretty worth it.... I think you & the family will love it...

Now boats.... they are like building a jeep... just more expensive... :rolleyes: We have two but they are both under 25ft fishing boats & used once to twice a week during the season (again New England) so they're more for me...(just don't tell my better half....

Again.... Glad to see everything seems to be moving forward for you & the family...

Glad the roof is being fixed / covered under warranty....

Luckily my wife had horses before she met me & she was all set with that... besides our 4 dogs cost enough... :)

We've had a pool for the last 18+ years & although there is maintenance I don't mind having it.... ours is a 16 x 32 in-ground (liner) with a heater (New England). the pool is 40yrs old & only on its second liner, just put in our first new pump but other than that just the maintenance.... which is a lot but being able to hang out in it after a day at work is pretty worth it.... I think you & the family will love it...

Now boats.... they are like building a jeep... just more expensive... :rolleyes: We have two but they are both under 25ft fishing boats & used once to twice a week during the season (again New England) so they're more for me...(just don't tell my better half....

Again.... Glad to see everything seems to be moving forward for you & the family...

Thanks! I think the pool will be totally worth it, especially for as hot as it is in Arizona. Also, my kids are what I refer to as “water babies”. They’ll play endlessly in a pool if you let them. So it will be gray entertainment for the whole family.

I know people who have owned boats, and that’s one thing I’ll never do. Just another Jeep like you said 🤪