Looking for recommendations on 35 inch tires

DC0046

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Fixin to pill he trigger on 35’s for an 04 Rubicon with 513’s and 4 inch lift in an All Terrain. Only off roading is hunting / pasture so want good road manners. Looking for recommendations. Is load range E too stiff? Thanks in advance. This is the Jeep . Currently has 18 inch rims and going tom17s. Yes I need to update my profile.

IMG_4798.jpeg

Last edited:
I run BFG KM3 in 35/12.50R17 load range “E” and am very satisfied with them . I drop to 10 psi when wheeling and 25 psi on the road. Super tough and well behaved.

Reactions: DC0046
Fixin to pill he trigger on 35’s for an 04 Rubicon with 513’s and 4 inch lift in an All Terrain. Only off roading is hunting / pasture so want good road manners. Looking for recommendations. Is load range E too stiff? Thanks in advance. This is the Jeep . Currently has 18 inch rims and going tom17s. Yes I need to update my profile.

View attachment 513555

Load is not as determinative of ride quality as shocks and tire pressure.

I ran Load C tires for years on a 15” wheel. They are harder to find for a 17” wheel. I just went up to a 17” wheel and my tire is a Load D. I can’t tell any difference.

Falken Wildpeak is a good AT (have a set on wife’s Yukon). KO2’s gave a good reputation. If you want Made in USA look at Cooper AT3 XLT (had a set of 32’s on a TJ, good tire) or Mickey Thompson.

Last edited:
I wouldn't care about the load range all that much. But good call to drop those 18s, that looks like a high schoolers rig.

I had 33" KO2s that were great for everything but rock crawling - but I can't say that's the best for you since mine is a garage queen rock crawler and I swapped tires because the KO2s were losing sidewall chunks.

STT Pros came with my rig and I recently bought them again three years later.

I’ve considered the MT Boss and MTZ. Didn’t like the boss as much when I saw them on a rig. IIRC they are from the same carcass as the STT Pro.

For mostly road use the Cooper at3-xlt is a great tire . It has great road manners wet or dry and does pretty well in the mud . I ran the Cooper at3's for 11 years . I swapped to Falken At4w to get the size I wanted and so far I am very happy with them . They have good road manners and the little bit of mud I've been in they have gotten excellent traction . No hydroplaning in heavy rain either . I saw that Falken has the at4w in a 35 "C" rating for 17 inch wheels . I am running 33's or 255/85r16 in a "C" rating . The Coopers I ran originally were "E" rated and road smooth with no hydroplaning .

Reactions: MikeE024 and DC0046
I ran the Falken AT3Ws (in 285/70/17 size) on my truck and was happy with them.

I ended up putting those tires on my previous Jeep and went with Cooper Rugged Treks on my truck.

They were quite a bit better than the Falkens in road manners and off road traction. Amazingly good on wet roads.

I haven't tried the At4s yet so I don't know how they compare.

Reactions: MikeE024 and DC0046
I have a few thousand miles on a set of 33” Baja boss ATs on my JK. They have a fairly aggressive tread for an AT and have very good road manners. For more casual wheeling they work great off road as well. . My last pair of mickeys on my TJ did get louder with time (even with frequent rotations) but overall wore like iron vs some of the other brands I’ve had.

I put BFG’s on everything, 35” Mud’s on 2 Jeeps and AT in a truck and Expedition.

I went away from them on the Expedition. We live near Austin, not a ton of rain, but when it does, they would get a touch slick. Only complaint I’be had, but it’s usually when it first rains and you get that slick oil feel, just a single data point.

Reactions: DC0046
STT Pros came with my rig and I recently bought them again three years later.

I’ve considered the MT Boss and MTZ. Didn’t like the boss as much when I saw them on a rig. IIRC they are from the same carcass as the STT Pro.

I've been running 35" STT Pros on my Ram 1500 for over 8 years and 75k miles. Obviously a different vehicle but my uses have been similar. It was a daily driver for years on them while also being a hunting/fishing rig. Never had any issues or complaints. They see a lot of wet weather and have been in about every variety of terrain imaginable. I'm very likely to go to them on my TJ in the future.

I'm also a huge fan of the Baja Bass AT that we have on my wife's Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. If I had 17's I would possibly run those.

I've been running 35" STT Pros on my Ram 1500 for over 8 years and 75k miles. Obviously a different vehicle but my uses have been similar. It was a daily driver for years on them while also being a hunting/fishing rig. Never had any issues or complaints. They see a lot of wet weather and have been in about every variety of terrain imaginable. I'm very likely to go to them on my TJ in the future.

I'm also a huge fan of the Baja Bass AT that we have on my wife's Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. If I had 17's I would possibly run those.

Great to know about the AT option.

My last ATs were KO2s on a dually. I liked the look, but I hated how much they collected small stones from the gravel driveway.

Reactions: JMT