Looking for some advice on wiring issue

Copperhead TJ

I got my 99 Sahara a few weeks ago and the right tail light and turn signal and 3rd brake light didn't work from the get go. I installed LED taillights and 3rd brake light and they still didn't work, so I used a self tapper and tapped a new ground on each side of the new tail lights and they worked fine. Here is the strange part. The turn signals work with the LED relay when the headlights are off, but when you turn the headlights on, none of the turn signals work at all. Does that mean I have a bad ground up front? Open to ideas on where to start my trace.

I got my 99 Sahara a few weeks ago and the right tail light and turn signal and 3rd brake light didn't work from the get go. I installed LED taillights and 3rd brake light and they still didn't work, so I used a self tapper and tapped a new ground on each side of the new tail lights and they worked fine. Here is the strange part. The turn signals work with the LED relay when the headlights are off, but when you turn the headlights on, none of the turn signals work at all. Does that mean I have a bad ground up front? Open to ideas on where to start my trace.

Sounds like you have an issue with the front lights. You may have to try a led in the turn signal up front. First I would cycle the hazard switch a couple times and retest. The front lamps there is a mod for the turn signal circuit if you search on line. The front marker bulb is a single filament and is wired one side to the turn signal and the other side to the parkIng lamps. When the running lamps are on 12v goes into the bulb then out into the turn signal circuit then down through the front lamp filament to ground. Then when the turn signal is turned on the 12v goes to the second filament in the front lamp to turn the front lamp on, at the same time 12v is on both sides of the side lamp causing it to go off. When the flasher turns off the front bulb turns off but the side marker turns back on due to the ground circuit going through the front bulb filament. This is why you see the front and side markers alternating when the head lamps are on. You can check the ground above the headlamps. Then I would look into a different flasher. I put leds in rear and just had to change the flasher to get rid of the fast flash.

728B46BE-5591-42E0-9014-0620D2CABACD.png

Reactions: sab
If you add LEDs where the resistance was higher with filament bulbs, you will need to add inline resistors which is a simple approach

If you add LEDs where the resistance was higher with filament bulbs, you will need to add inline resistors which is a simple approach

I doubt that will fix his problem. He said he’s got an LED turn signal relay, which takes care of the resistance issue.

NskLJ has pointed him to a TJ-specific issue to investigate. That issue is well known here.

I doubt that will fix his problem. He said he’s got an LED turn signal relay, which takes care of the resistance issue.
Based on my research just 2 weeks ago plenty on here have experienced putting the wrong LED flasher in

So I wouldnt say its ruled out just yet

Based on my research just 2 weeks ago plenty on here have experienced putting the wrong LED flasher in

So I wouldnt say its ruled out just yet

Well, I never rule anything out completely. After decades of wrenching, I've been humbled many times. However, based on this comment by the OP, I think the LED flasher is working properly:

...The turn signals work with the LED relay when the headlights are off...

If it was a resistance issue, that wouldn't be true.

Sounds like you have an issue with the front lights. You may have to try a led in the turn signal up front. First I would cycle the hazard switch a couple times and retest. The front lamps there is a mod for the turn signal circuit if you search on line. The front marker bulb is a single filament and is wired one side to the turn signal and the other side to the parkIng lamps. When the running lamps are on 12v goes into the bulb then out into the turn signal circuit then down through the front lamp filament to ground. Then when the turn signal is turned on the 12v goes to the second filament in the front lamp to turn the front lamp on, at the same time 12v is on both sides of the side lamp causing it to go off. When the flasher turns off the front bulb turns off but the side marker turns back on due to the ground circuit going through the front bulb filament. This is why you see the front and side markers alternating when the head lamps are on. You can check the ground above the headlamps. Then I would look into a different flasher. I put leds in rear and just had to change the flasher to get rid of the fast flash.

View attachment 446951

Thanks, I have fought with it all weekend. Replaced the Headlights and the front Turn Signal and corner lights. When I was under it tracing those wires, I found where someone had cut off the factory fog light pig tails and left the wires hanging. I grounded each side to see if that solved the issues. Still haven't found the source of the headlight issues with the turn signals not working when they are on. They work every other time. Just not when the parking or headlight switch is engaged. My relay says LED on it. I double checked that, but Amazon has a disclaimer that says it is frequently returned, so that may be the issue. I thought it might be that the new one didn't screw into the steering column and complete a ground there, but it may be that the relay from Amazon isn't truly a LED EP26. I have ordered one from Extreme, since our local Auto Zone, Advance & O'Riley's don't seem to carry them at all.

Last edited:
Well, I never rule anything out completely. After decades of wrenching, I've been humbled many times. However, based on this comment by the OP, I think the LED flasher is working properly:

If it was a resistance issue, that wouldn't be true.

I replaced the Rear lights, 3rd brake light and the front lights and corner marker lights this weekend with LED. Changed the headlights to HIID and still have the issues after checking all of the grounds to the lights. So I am thinking I got a bad relay from Amazon. I have ordered one from Extreme to see if it works better.

Circuits are sharing a ground
Theres a possible short sharing it or loose ground

[URL]https://myjeeprocks.com/forums...tech/24753-no-turn-signals-with-headlights-on[/URL]

I had some wonky crap trying different LED flashers myself
Hence why I said that. The NOVARITA or whatever its called was the winner

I had success ordering a NOVARITA LED from Auto Zone. I returned the EP26 LED one that I ordered on Amazon. Explains why they said that was a highly returned item. Thanks All!

Inline resistors are commonly installed for that problem but they're an absolutely terrible way to fix it. They get HOT and they have to be a high-wattage size in order to handle the heat they generate. That means they're basically turning power from the battery into heat being dissipated into the air. LED bulbs cause a lot of problems in our TJs and some can be fixed by nothing more than a special LED flasher relay but many cannot like if the side marker bulbs are replaced with LEDs. About the only bulbs that can be replaced with LEDs without problem are the headlights and rear tail lights. And even most LED rear tail lights require a special LED type flasher relay.

I had the same issue. When the lights were off, it would blink but when I turned on the headlights, it wouldn’t blink. I changed it to a different power source and it fixed the problem. Turns out the previous owner had wired it incorrectly.

I had the same issue. When the lights were off, it would blink but when I turned on the headlights, it wouldn’t blink. I changed it to a different power source and it fixed the problem. Turns out the previous owner had wired it incorrectly.

What do you mean you changed the power source. I'm dealing with the same problem.

What do you mean you changed the power source. I'm dealing with the same problem.

That guy has 1 post. I doubt he’ll ever see your question.