Looking for some tire advice.

pfons06lj

1fbd69e9aeb1f4012b0a039f01849b60.jpg

Looking to purchase a set of 5 off road tires for my 2006 LJ. Not sure what size would fit my jeep as i just bought it last week, its got a 1 1/4" body lift. Looking for a tire that handles good on Highway and on the trail, as I'm most likely going to be driving it a couple hundred miles when I go offroading in the UP. And nothing crazy expensive please, pics would also be nice if you guys got em.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

IMG_4740.JPG

With a 1 and 1/4" body lift, you can fit a 245/265 tire or a 31/32 inch tire under your jeep comfortably. I would reccomend the 245/31 inch size. This is dependent on if you have 15" wheels (31x10.5x15) or 16" wheels (245/75/16).

The two better tires for your combination of highway ride and off road will be the good year duratracs (or the Walmart version, good year authority) or the bf Goodrich all
Terrain KO2. The good year authority is going to be the least expensive.

I currently use the good year duratrac and it rides really well on the highway and rain (haven't had it in the snow yet). I picked the duratrac over the authority due to the rebates I got for a Memorial Day sale from americas tire. The Picture above is of the good year authority from Walmart to show the tread pattern. They get Good reviews from Walmart website.

Reactions: pfons06lj and StG58
The Goodyear Authority is a pretty good tire in the grand scheme of things. Check with your local Wally World to see if they will go oversize on your vehicle though. There's a lot of them that won't. Costco and Walmart have company policies against putting a bigger tire on that what is listed in their book.

UpperMI - I agree with you and can also vouch for their ability in the snow. I have 265/75/16 Duratracs on my LJ with a 2" lift and 245/75/16 Duratracs on my TJ with no lift and they've been great.

Reactions: UpperMI
I can vouch first hand for how much I LOVE my Duratracs. I've tested them in mud, pouring rain (we get tons of that here), packed snow, and quite a bit of other mixed terrain. It's been 2 years now and they've held up great!

I wouldn't take them on some of the jagged rock terrain like you have down in California and Utah, but they do amazing if you won't be doing any of that terrain.

The look of them also helps as well, since they look like a Mud Terrain, but perform like an All Terrain.

Reactions: UpperMI and StG58
Hey @Chris, are you getting a kickback from Goodyear? You love you some DT's... :D

I should be! I praise these things to anyone who asks.

I am biased though. I haven't tried another tire yet, but I just see no reason to after all the good these things have done me.

We went to Sunriver last Thanksgiving and I drove the Jeep over Santiam Pass when it was just covered in snow (and still snowing in the process). They performed exceptional in the packed snow all the way from Santiam to Sunriver, and the 4 days we spent driving around Bend.

Sure, they aren't a dedicated snow tire, but with the 4x4 and these Duratracs, I feel very confident in the snow.

Reactions: StG58
I should be! I praise these things to anyone who asks.

I am biased though. I haven't tried another tire yet, but I just see no reason to after all the good these things have done me.

We went to Sunriver last Thanksgiving and I drove the Jeep over Santiam Pass when it was just covered in snow (and still snowing in the process). They performed exceptional in the packed snow all the way from Santiam to Sunriver, and the 4 days we spent driving around Bend.

Sure, they aren't a dedicated snow tire, but with the 4x4 and these Duratracs, I feel very confident in the snow.
The DT's ARE good all around tires. Unsurprisingly the farmers around here run a lot of them on their farm trucks. They last a long time and are pretty tough. Good traction in almost all conditions.

I just had to give you a little crap about them though. Just 'cause. :)

Reactions: Chris
View attachment 8606

With a 1 and 1/4" body lift, you can fit a 245/265 tire or a 31/32 inch tire under your jeep comfortably. I would reccomend the 245/31 inch size. This is dependent on if you have 15" wheels (31x10.5x15) or 16" wheels (245/75/16).

The two better tires for your combination of highway ride and off road will be the good year duratracs (or the Walmart version, good year authority) or the bf Goodrich all

I currently use the good year duratrac and it rides really well on the highway and rain (haven't had it in the snow yet). I picked the duratrac over the authority due to the rebates I got for a Memorial Day sale from americas tire. The Picture above is of the good year authority from Walmart to show the tread pattern. They get Good reviews from Walmart website.
Thanks for the info UpperMI, these tires have good reviews and a pretty cheap. So with a 16" rim I can fit a 245/ 31"in there?

Thanks for the info UpperMI, these tires have good reviews and a pretty cheap. So with a 16" rim I can fit a 245/ 31"in there?

Yes, You can fit a 245/75/R16 comfortably. This is the metric equivalent of a 31" diameter tire. I have the duratracs in 245/75/R16 tires on my jeep with no lift and they look good and ride good. I was going to buy the Goodyear authorities until americas tire (known as discount tire in the Midwest) had a great sale on the duratracs.

Reactions: pfons06lj
... So with a 16" rim I can fit a 245/ 31"in there?
That's what I have on my TJ with no lift and it works great. Mines a daily driver that I camp with in some rough spots but I don't do any serious off roading with it. I have run 265/75/16's and they worked fine too.

View attachment 8606

I have the Authority tire on both my TJ and XJ. I originally installed em on the TJ and they did fantastic in every condition so I got em for the XJ too. I get a discount from wal-fart so it turns out to be a great deal. I almost installed them on the 4runner but decided for a milder A/T for daily duties and went with Kumho AT/51.

muddy%20jeeps_zpsznamqcgw.jpg

IMG_0947_zpsomkcqsrc.jpg

muddy%20jeeps_zpsznamqcgw.jpg

IMG_0947_zpsomkcqsrc.jpg

The dick cepek extreme terrain tires seem like they are a pretty good value for the money. How are they on road and off road?
Off road not a single complaint once so ever they absolutely find traction anywhere. On road in a LIGHT weight vehicle can be known to hydroplane just a little because of there wide foot print putting just the extra weight of my camper on the MJ would eliminate this. Also abit loud but I don't consider that a complaint.