Looking for technical reasons a dropped pitman arm is bad

another example for you is a belly skid drop.
i understand they can help stop drive line vibrations, but they also negate a portion of the lift you paid $ to gain at a very important spot.

Reactions: ColoJeep
A dropped PItman arm does not cause Death Wobble. What it does is screw up the steering geometry which causes Bump Steer... where the steering is forced left/right as the front axle moves up/down over bumps/dips.

That an axle is straight has nothing to do with whether a DPA is required or not, that is strictly up to the steering geometry. The TJ's steering geometry is so good that no DPA is needed for the typical suspension heights we install like up to at least 5" or so. I had a 5.5" suspension lift at one time and not even it needed a dropped Pitman arm.

Yes some steering designs need a DPA once a suspension lift is designed, like the older YJ and CJs. The '97 and newer TJ, however, does not. Installing one will screw up the geometry and cause, again, bump steer. The only way around that is to also install a dropped driver's side track bar mount. The driver's side track bar mount and the Pitman arm must match.... both must either be un-dropped or both must be dropped. Mixing dropped and undropped causes bump steer.

Now l know why I'm rock solid with a dropped pitman arm, always wondered why they got a bad wrap. Wonder if it was necessary because of the Currectlynk and AntiRock. Guess l should look at a stock TJ.......if l can find one up here. 🤭

Now l know why I'm rock solid with a dropped pitman arm, always wondered why they got a bad wrap. Wonder if it was necessary because of the Currectlynk and AntiRock. Guess l should look at a stock TJ.......if l can find one up here. 🤭

You should qualify that statement by saying whether you dropped the frame side trackbar mount exactly the same amount as the dropped pitman arm. And how much lift you have to see if the added stress and leverage on those components is even necessary.

@Jerry Bransford was not saying a dropped pitman arm is fine for tjs except at 6"+ suspension lift and with a corresponding trackbar drop.

Currectlync,antirock and finding stock jeeps are irrelevant to whether you need one.

Last edited:
You should qualify that statement by saying whether you dropped the frame side trackbar mount exactly the same amount as the dropped pitman arm. And how much lift you have to see if the added stress and leverage on those components is even necessary.

@Jerry Bransford was not saying a dropped pitman arm is fine for tjs except at 6"+ suspension lift and with a corresponding trackbar drop.

Currectlync,antirock and finding stock jeeps are irrelevant to whether you need one.

Stock Jeeps😂