Looking for the best lift kit

EthanJohnson

Hello my name is Ethan and last year I bought a 2002 TJ in good condition and I’m now trying to make it my own. I need to know what’s the best lift kit and the best shocks to go with it. My front shock has started to make this horrible noise so it’s time to replace them. I’m looking to do about a 3.75”-4” lift. I appreciate all answers :)

It depends on a number of things but your use and how much you want to spend will be the biggest factors. Will you be taking your Jeep off road much? What size tires would you like to run in the end?

Once you get over a 3" lift with just suspension you're going to need to modify quite a bit more of your Jeep. I have the Zone 3" lift and I'm happy with it. If I was going to start over again I would go with the combo lift from Zone its a 3" suspension lift plus a 1.25" body lift and a 1" motor mount lift, this would be enough to run 33" tires.

https://zoneoffroad.com/products/425-in-combo-lift-kit-1997-2006-jeep-wrangler-tj
If you have a big budget and want to do it right the first time, the Savvy Mid-Arm lift is a favourite here on the forum but I can't speak to it myself.

https://savvyoffroad.com/product/sma-kit/

Last edited:
Hello my name is Ethan and last year I bought a 2002 TJ in good condition and I’m now trying to make it my own. I need to know what’s the best lift kit and the best shocks to go with it. My front shock has started to make this horrible noise so it’s time to replace them. I’m looking to do about a 3.75”-4” lift. I appreciate all answers :)
2.5 inch rough country springs

Sway bar disconnects of appropriate length.

New shocks for new lift height
Skyjacker black max
Rancho 5000x

Adjust steering wheel back to center.

Done.

This keeps your Jeep liveable by running 32's or small 33's...without needing to re-gear
(Provided you don't gave 3.07 gears🤢🤢🤢) and a bunch of other mods for a taller lift.

If track bar is suspect you need to replace.
If u joints are suspect replace.

That's it.

Good luck

I’m leaning toward the Currie 4” and 33s once I have the funds.
Go with savvy as you get double adjustable control arms. Everything else is Currie in the kit.

3F2A5E4B-03D6-4C3E-AE11-F9EBC6B570AE.jpeg

Whatever you get, make sure it has appropriate parts. Shock relocation brackets, track bar(s), sway bar disconnects, bump stops, upper and lower control arms, shocks, etc. lower price kits won’t have some or all of that stuff.
You can piece all of that together which will allow you to pick and choose whichever are the best parts and pieces but depending on your budget and ability, a complete kit may be better for you in the long run.

I personally have a Metalcloak kit. I’ve got limited time testing the system so I won’t make grand claims about it. A few things I can say:
* the kit was very complete and did include (what seemed to me) all of the necessary parts. Instructions were pretty good as well
* all of the control arms are adjustable, although only single adjust (the value of double adjust seems key especially when doing initial setup)
* the ride on the road with the spring and shock combination is actually pretty nice.
* it seems to have nice articulation. One thing which may be a consequence of the short arm kit (my previous TJ had the RE long arm kit) - the bump stops on the front don’t actually line up for the stuffed tire if the front axle is really twisted under the Jeep. This warps my mind a bit as I try to consider the geometry that makes this so.

You’ll want a slip yoke eliminator kit as opposed to a skid plate lowering kit. This will increase your cost as will the new rear driveshaft you’ll need with the SYE.

Be patient in doing your research and don’t rush to buy something just to get it under the Jeep. You can build your Jeep in stages but with a lift kit it pays to get as complete as possible all at once.

Best lift kit?
Best shocks?
Best tires?
Best sounding muffler?
Best quality soft top?
Best mechanic?
Best steak and cheese sub?
Best pizza?
It's all subjective and just opinions. Some people believe that the best of everything is the one that costs the most. These people are now homeless and eating Ramen noodles from their rusted YJ, sitting in the mobile home park and late on the rent. :unsure:
Allow me adjust...

Best lift kit?
Best shocks?
Best tires?
Best sounding muffler?
Best quality soft top?
Best mechanic?
Best steak and cheese sub?
Best pizza?
It's all subjective and just opinions. MOST people believe that the best of everything is the one that THEY PURCHASED FOR THEIR JEEP. These people are (ASSHATS) ....now homeless and eating Ramen noodles from their rusted YJ, sitting in the mobile home park and late on the rent. :unsure:

Do a Savvey mid arm, outboard and some decent res shocks. Buy once, cry once (you might cry a lot and for a long time, but you will smile while running your Jeep)

• Haha
Reactions: Plumber1
Even though I have a $4k rubby express lift, I want a Savvey mid arm, and not just cause everyone else has one.

just putting my 2 cents, a long arm is better than a short arm for ride quality. dual-rate coil springs also would be a better ride (most lifts have them) of course you can always go coil overs but that usually going into the customs territory. Make sure you upgrade to basically a full HD steering & track bar set up and get nice shocks either bilsteins or fox anything, you really get what you pay for with shocks. find a lift within your range with all that and you should be happy. One last thing anything over 4 inchs of lift instantly adds about 2k to the build cost for full-length drive shafts and sye and a bunch of other stuff brake lines etc.

just putting my 2 cents, a long arm is better than a short arm for ride quality. dual-rate coil springs also would be a better ride (most lifts have them) of course you can always go coil overs but that usually going into the customs territory. Make sure you upgrade to basically a full HD steering & track bar set up and get nice shocks either bilsteins or fox anything, you really get what you pay for with shocks. find a lift within your range with all that and you should be happy. One last thing anything over 4 inchs of lift instantly adds about 2k to the build cost for full-length drive shafts and sye and a bunch of other stuff brake lines etc.
Um, no, just no.....

Reactions: Plumber1
Best can mean a lot of different things, for example; What's the best suspension to run 33s, or 35s for a Street-Jeep (read no off-road). What's the best suspension to go on mild to difficult trails. What's the best suspension to tackle impassable trails.

Knowing what your goals are will help people make suggestions on what lifts or parts to suggest to help you achieve your goals. Otherwise you risk spending money on stuff you might not want or need.

Reactions: BlackSheep