Looking for the quietest muffler available

So here is the factory replacement for the TJ. 2 1/4 and centered bell flange. And also note the length at 18”

BB3901EA-FC54-44CD-B414-CE8DB1BC92A8.png

Here is the muffler I said was about as close as I could find. The Lj muffler was I believe 6 inches longer than the TJ muffler which would put it at 24” this is 25 and slightly wider, but the inlet and outlet are in the proper locations , the proper diameter, and the proper bell flange is on the inlet.

E0F7BAA4-5E6A-42DA-BE1C-B788140CFA69.png

This is the closest I can find to stock.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VKXB14/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I will have it Thursday so I will let you know how it works out.

Please do. I was measuring mine earlier, but never got the pipe OD due to other things. It's in worse shape than I thought it was. Oh, Walker lists the 21432 to fit a '02 to '07 Jeep Liberty. I'd rather have the stainless muffler with the correct connections.

My stock muffler measured right at 10" wide give or take. If this will fit without hitting anything, I'll be a happy Jeeper.

Reactions: jeepndogs
Chrysler is pretty well known for using what they have around to make something else. Pretty much the reason we ended up with the less than stellar 42rle transmission, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if they grabbed the liberty muffler off the shelf and threw it on the Lj. I found it pretty interesting when I was looking up replacements that the one closet I could find was also a Jeep product and happened to be out a few years prior to the Lj.

Reactions: psrivats
I think it's pretty much a Jeep manufacturing tradition to use as much off the shelf as they could going back to Willys Overland. My old 80 CJ5 that I bought new had bits and pieces from several manufacturers.

Muffler came in today, won’t have time to screw with it until tomorrow or Saturday but it looks to be pretty close. @Willys LJ do you by chance have a picture of how close the stock muffler is to the transfer case skid and possibly the distance from the flang of the cat to the front of the muffler?

Not much luck with pics as I left my phone on my desk and I only had a few minutes down there, but the inlet flange is about 5" in front of the muffler body and it appears to be a little higher in the frame than the muffler body. Also the flange is about even with the back face of the transfer case. The front of the muffler body is about an inch or two ahead of the back edge of the skidplate, so there's no clearance issues with the transfer case. It's a couple of inches or so above the skid.

The least amount of clearance I could find was near the rear of the muffler body. It's about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the upper control arm front bolt.

Hope this helps and if need be, I'll try to get down there and remember my phone next time.

Here is the van muffler. Like you said, other than the wrong inlet size, inlet location, flange design, it’s great.
The design is not directional according to walker, it's called non-reversible in the catalog because it is a direct fit part and will not fit an econoline van backwards.

Flange face to can is 5"

11" wide is going to be tight but it should fit. You have about 12" between the control arm mount and the driveshaft. Here is what it looks like with a 10" can or about the same as stock. It's difficult to tell from the photos but mine has just about one inch of clearance using the stock pipe. If yours is about 3" shorter the end seam will end up close to the nearest point on the frame so you might have to change the front flange distance to give you some extra space.

15605289427542.jpg

15605283742851.jpg

15605283438540.jpg

My guess is that if you just bolt up the liberty flange the muffler will be way out of whack but it'll be interesting to see what happens. Stainless is better, I'd love to see pictures of it when you're all done.

While it wasn’t exactly a take it out of the box and throw it on it does fit fairly well. About 1/2 with a bandsaw and a welder and I am happy with it. I will clean up the welds and Jet hot coat the tailpipe and the front flange. It needed to be moved over about 3/4” and back 1”. I re clocked the flange slightly. I would say it is as quiet as stock and absolutely no drone to it.

893A97CC-2E89-405C-B803-8E042C31A74E.jpeg

F4F90B87-E66F-4E52-860F-61C2BF344747.jpeg

E360D5A5-D1FD-4420-B8C8-DECFD0383173.jpeg