Looking for thoughts and advice on axle swap and re-gear

Something else to check, did they change TRE for that steering. I know in kit I did years ago for XJ you had to ream out knuckle for different TRE. If they did that might not be as simple as remove that steering and bolt back in your stock setup.

Reactions: SvtLdr
Something else to check, did they change TRE for that steering. I know in kit I did years ago for XJ you had to ream out knuckle for different TRE. If they did that might not be as simple as remove that steering and bolt back in your stock setup.
Worth knowing, for sure. I will check on that!

Here is a pic of each axle. Not great pics as they are currently under my camping trailer under the carport, but hopefully good enough to get an idea.View attachment 285984View attachment 285985
That front axle is set up for crossover steering. Do your homework on that as well before proceeding. I'd recommended switching it back to the Inverted-Y (Haltenberger) design.

I would only keep the dana 35/30 if I had just spent a bunch of time dialing everything in on it

Reactions: astjp2
It would appear the knuckles have been swapped for the crossover steering. It's possible he has WJ knuckles on it?

That front axle is set up for crossover steering. Do your homework on that as well before proceeding. I'd recommended switching it back to the Inverted-Y (Haltenberger) design.
For sure! I'd definitely switch back if going forward with the Dana 44 install. I've considered taking the knuckles off my 30 and installing them if they will fit up.

I would only keep the dana 35/30 if I had just spent a bunch of time dialing everything in on it
Good perspective. Honestly, other than the poor gearing, my jeep runs great and drives nicely, which is probably the biggest reason why I've considered just regearing them. I'm have a slight nervousness concerning swapping in the 44s and having to spend much more time trying to perfect its steering rather than just enjoying the jeep.

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
I'm still stuck on how you're thinking the 3.07s are so bad, with KM3s that run small you're barely running 30s which aren't all that much bigger than stock. I spent a good while with 3.07s & true 33s & while they sucked they were livable prior to the regear.

Are you sure this need to regear isn't all in your head? For your described uses I'd keep what I've got and all my money plus perhaps some profit from selling the ruby axles, & as someone above said eventually stumble onto a 30/35 out of an SE w/411s for probably a fraction of what you spent on the Ruby axles.

Or, put the Ruby axles in plus all the usual accoutrements & go hog wild, you didn't really want to retire anyway, didja :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: reddvltj
I'm still stuck on how you're thinking the 3.07s are so bad, with KM3s that run small you're barely running 30s which aren't all that much bigger than stock. I spent a good while with 3.07s & true 33s & while they sucked they were livable prior to the regear.

Are you sure this need to regear isn't all in your head? For your described uses I'd keep what I've got and all my money plus perhaps some profit from selling the ruby axles, & as someone above said eventually stumble onto a 30/35 out of an SE w/411s for probably a fraction of what you spent on the Ruby axles.

Or, put the Ruby axles in plus all the usual accoutrements & go hog wild, you didn't really want to retire anyway, didja :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Hahahaha, oh, for sure it's not a NEED! That said, i live at over 7k feet above sea level and in a very mountainous town. The 3.07's are pretty darn underpowered. Again, it's of course not a need, but I'm pretty sure I'd be happier with some numerically higher gears. I just worry that the 4.88 might be too much. Of course, a big reason I don't go hog wild is I'm pretty sure my wife would notice if I stopped contributing to retirement while my TJ got wayyyy cooler at the same time.🤣

• Haha
Not that expensive, correct the steering bits and leave them at 4.88 and enjoy.
(Deep breath) that would be my most desired option. I just worry that the 4.88 would be too much for the 331sand lead to a snowball effect of having to drop several grand on balancing the jeep performance back out. If you think I could enjoy 4.88 gearing with 31's though, that's a great sign and a nod for further considering that direction!👍

(Deep breath) that would be my most desired option. I just worry that the 4.88 would be too much for the 331sand lead to a snowball effect of having to drop several grand on balancing the jeep performance back out. If you think I could enjoy 4.88 gearing with 31's though, that's a great sign and a nod for further considering that direction!👍
*31's and

For sure! I'd definitely switch back if going forward with the Dana 44 install. I've considered taking the knuckles off my 30 and installing them if they will fit up.
Yes, the knuckles off your Dana 30 will swap directly onto the Dana 44.

You just wanted new gears right? But you bought all new axles, with lockers and fancy shafts. So you must have either A. got it for a really good deal or B. paid market price for crap you didn’t need or want.

If A. Sell it for profit and get what you actually wanted.

If B. Sell it because you wasted your money on things you don’t need or want.

Either way, the answer is to sell.

Keeping the axles leaves without the proper gearing which was the whole point of it in the first place, right? That doesn’t make sense

Someone with that tranny would have to weigh in on how it works.

You just wanted new gears right? But you bought all new axles, with lockers and fancy shafts. So you must have either A. got it for a really good deal or B. paid market price for crap you didn’t need or want.

If A. Sell it for profit and get what you actually wanted.

If B. Sell it because you wasted your money on things you don’t need or want.

Either way, the answer is to sell.

Keeping the axles leaves without the proper gearing which was the whole point of it in the first place, right? That doesn’t make sense
Did you even read the first post?

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj and SvtLdr