Looking to buy 1st Wrangler

mike.taylor

Hi looking to purchase my 1st Wrangler. It has a 4.0 liter 6 cylinder with a 5 speed manual transmission. 35X12.50-15 BFG All Terrain tires. DANA 44 rear end, all stock running gear. This jeep has never been abused. new paint job. I need to check for rust!!! Here is a link - Is it too pricey? DO I need to worry about the gearing? https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...ghtspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

Hi looking to purchase my 1st Wrangler. It has a 4.0 liter 6 cylinder with a 5 speed manual transmission. 35X12.50-15 BFG All Terrain tires. DANA 44 rear end, all stock running gear. This jeep has never been abused. new paint job. I need to check for rust!!! Here is a link - Is it too pricey? DO I need to worry about the gearing? https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...ghtspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner
If it isn’t rusted it isn’t a horrible deal, but drive it and especially see how it pulls hills- most likely the gearing will be happier with smaller tiles if it is geared stock.

If it isn’t rusted it isn’t a horrible deal, but drive it and especially see how it pulls hills- most likely the gearing will be happier with smaller tiles if it is geared stock.
Thanks for the input. Ill go see it tomorrow. Any other words of wisdom besides triple checking the rust? It also has a crack in the windshield but shouldn't be a concern.

I also have a second option but it is a 4 cylinder with 150 k 1999 year - bilstien shocks new high angle drive line and slip yoke eliminator.. Would you say the 6 cylinder is a better jeep? Both are stick

2000-2003 4.0 with the 0331 head are know to crack and leak coolant into the engine.
Open the oil fill cap and look carefully for ANY little drops of moisture or froth on the bottom of the cap.
Also look in the hole at the head I have seen the cracks from the opening.
Additionally look for the word TUPY in the head casting, that would be real good news as this is the updated head that is much
harder to crack.
The Jeep look good if there is no/minimal rust .
Good luck and Welcome!

Run a carfax, see where the Jeep has been. Central Oregon isn’t going to have much issue but other places could. Looks in good shape and reasonably priced for the area. You’re probably going to want to throw some gears in there(and probanly lockers) if you want to keep the 35s.

I’m only talking about the first Jeep. Do not even consider a 4 cylinder.

Also - go have an RPM for me!

I also have a second option but it is a 4 cylinder with 150 k 1999 year - bilstien shocks new high angle drive line and slip yoke eliminator.. Would you say the 6 cylinder is a better jeep? Both are stick
This 4 cylinder is really clean - only thing is the check engine light is on - the owner says it is because the catalytic converter is too far placed from the O2 censor - would he be correct - I did check and the distance is about 10 inches - he said it should be with 2 or 3 - is he correct? Thanks in advance.

This 4 cylinder is really clean - only thing is the check engine light is on - the owner says it is because the catalytic converter is too far placed from the O2 censor - would he be correct - I did check and the distance is about 10 inches - he said it should be with 2 or 3 - is he correct? Thanks in advance.
That makes no sense? Did someone screw around with the manifold and exhaust system???

That makes no sense? Did someone screw around with the manifold and exhaust system???
I should have taken a photo. The catalytic converter seems to be part of the exhaust system closer to the engine side and the o2 sensor is almost directly underneath the drivers seat so he says?
No it is not sold

2000-2003 4.0 with the 0331 head are know to crack and leak coolant into the engine.
Open the oil fill cap and look carefully for ANY little drops of moisture or froth on the bottom of the cap.
Also look in the hole at the head I have seen the cracks from the opening.
Additionally look for the word TUPY in the head casting, that would be real good news as this is the updated head that is much
harder to crack.
The Jeep look good if there is no/minimal rust .
Good luck and Welcome!
I know this isn't really on track for this conversation but just curious...my 2000 that I just bought (my 1st wrangler) doesn't have the TUPY, from what i can see. But it's at 170k with no signs of a cracked head. Do you think by now I've dodged that bullet? Whats good preventative maintenance to make sure I don't run into the problem?
Thanks

I know this isn't really on track for this conversation but just curious...my 2000 that I just bought (my 1st wrangler) doesn't have the TUPY, from what i can see. But it's at 170k with no signs of a cracked head. Do you think by now I've dodged that bullet? Whats good preventative maintenance to make sure I don't run into the problem?
Thanks
Make sure it never get overheat, even a little. Good cooling system maintenance, let the engine idle a while before shutdown,
after a long pull etc...
But you could do all that and it can still crack, the factory tried to save money a lighten the new 0331 head when introduced.
Later they had to update the head with more material to get it as reliable as the previous heads.
I hope you avoid this problem !

I was too late - yes it is sold - I was going to go tomorrow, missed it by a day
Best advice I can give, if you might want it go right away and take cash. Bought several vehicles that way. If you have to go get the money someone will offer more and cash and not all sellers will hold it for you. Good luck in your search, ton of info here…read up.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
though they are difficult to find, id consider looking only at unmolested jeeps rather than someone else's project.. but thats just me. id rather straighten one out from square one before figuring out what has been modified, whats been installed and played with at the same time.

Best advice I can give, if you might want it go right away and take cash. Bought several vehicles that way. If you have to go get the money someone will offer more and cash and not all sellers will hold it for you. Good luck in your search, ton of info here…read up.
SO TRUE! When I found my Rubicon, it was listed on Craigslist at 11pm on a Saturday night. I drove 2 hours and got there at 8 am Sunday morning. Two people already beat me to it and wanted to write him a check for a deposit to hold it until the banks opened Monday. He called me because he knew I was driving 2 hours and I told him I had cash with me. Needless to say I drove it home. The best $9,500 I ever spent.