Looking to upgrade from new Bronco to older Jeep Wrangler TJ

DBow14

Okay, so my story is I have a newer 2022 Bronco Badlands, 2 door with a manual. Problem is it has way more issues than any other Ford I have ever owned, Ford will not stand by their product, so I am wanting a more simple, yet tough and reliable alternative. It seems the latest version of a TJ gets me closest to what I want if I can find one. I like the I-6 idea, I like the manual transmission and Rubicon seems to be most closely matched to my Bronco. I liked my Bronco, it seemed to be mechancially sound, but it is ridden with computer and other software glitches to which I would find hard to diagnosis let alone fix. I know Jeeps are known for some reliability issues too. But I'm wondering if the Jeep I describe was the best they have been. I understand the earlier TJ's had drum brakes and a 5 speed. So if I should find a good example of a later TJ, what should I be on the lookout for as far as issues? If I could find a low mileage unit, what should I expect to pay? Any other info would be very helpful. I am a recovering Ford guy, have always loved my Fords, but the company under the current management and major quality issues....well I just can't get behind that.

Okay, so my story is I have a newer 2022 Bronco Badlands, 2 door with a manual. Problem is it has way more issues than any other Ford I have ever owned, Ford will not stand by their product, so I am wanting a more simple, yet tough and reliable alternative. It seems the latest version of a TJ gets me closest to what I want if I can find one. I like the I-6 idea, I like the manual transmission and Rubicon seems to be most closely matched to my Bronco. I liked my Bronco, it seemed to be mechancially sound, but it is ridden with computer and other software glitches to which I would find hard to diagnosis let alone fix. I know Jeeps are known for some reliability issues too. But I'm wondering if the Jeep I describe was the best they have been. I understand the earlier TJ's had drum brakes and a 5 speed. So if I should find a good example of a later TJ, what should I be on the lookout for as far as issues? If I could find a low mileage unit, what should I expect to pay? Any other info would be very helpful. I am a recovering Ford guy, have always loved my Fords, but the company under the current management and major quality issues....well I just can't get behind that.

Have you ever driven a TJ (including highway)? It's a much different experience than your Bronco, for better or for worse.

Also, are you mechanically inclined in the slightest? I ask not because the TJ is unreliable, but because the newest TJ is 18 years old. And things will start going out of order, simply due to age.

Get a new Wrangler Rubicon and be done. The Bronco was overrated and overhyped with a terrible front suspension design. The new Jeeps have a very reliable mature engine, Jeeps best automatic transmission ever, great axles, etc. They work great, ride good, have great brakes, can take 35" easily, and have good options and creature comforts and exceed the Bronco in every way that really matters in the dirt.

A TJ on 35"s done correctly is a substantially different ballgame then a JL.

The Bronco was overrated and overhyped with a terrible front suspension design.
The Bronco's front suspension is an outstanding choice for 90% of its target market. Not sure it's "overrated", the capabilities seemed relatively clear since the day we found out it came with IFS.

FWIW, I'm glad the Bronco was made. I'd never personally buy one, but we should be glad to have another body on frame offroad SUV w/ a 2 door option, and all the offroad goodies (lockers, disconnects, manual, etc). Plus it finally gave Jeep some competition, which is good.

What are your intentions for the vehicle, and what are your driving habits?

I only ask, because there is a HUGE difference between a New Bronco and a TJ.

I love the TJ's for my purposes, however I'm not entirely sure I could willingly step out of a 2022 'offroad capable' vehicle, and into a TJ.
There's just too large of a gap between the two.

If we were talking Bronco vs Jeep JL , the conversation would be quite simple.

But when talking a TJ, It's just MANY more aspects to consider, rather than the TJ being "more simple".
They're two completely different vehicles.

Last edited:
The Bronco's front suspension is an outstanding choice for 90% of its target market. Not sure it's "overrated", the capabilities seemed relatively clear since the day we found out it came with IFS.

FWIW, I'm glad the Bronco was made. I'd never personally buy one, but we should be glad to have another body on frame offroad SUV w/ a 2 door option, and all the offroad goodies (lockers, disconnects, manual, etc). Plus it finally gave Jeep some competition, which is good.

I'm also glad Ford made them. But every buyer/shop seemed to think they could slap 37s on that front steering and it would work. Then they broke. Tons of videos of it breaking with no aftermarket in place yet. Don't market a vehicle as a bad ass off road machine then under design the front end. IFS has clear and well documented disadvantages to live axles, but I'd trust a Toyota IFS to that Ford design with bigger tires after seeing some of the videos of where they broke. Tiny steering parts.

They are super cool looking though - great engine and interior. The soft top is an abomination that looks worse then a Chinese CJ top, but the hard tops look good.

I'd go 97-98 vs 2006.

Earlier TJs are much much simpler...one cat, two O2s instead of the dual cats and 4 O2s. Simpler evap system.

Earlier TJs weren't Rubicons but that's ok because you can install a Super 30/35 kit with e-lockers and arguably have more reliable, simpler lockers and strong enough for 35s axles.

2005-2006s had endemic PCM issues requiring a WranglerFix replacement.

And finally the 97s have AX-15 manual transmissions...if you want a stick this is what folks want and they're still available new from Novak and Advanced Adapters.

-Mac

P.S. My wife smashed into my 97 and folded it up good...I frame and tub swapped it in eight days for less than $1500. I challenge anyone to beat or meet that with a 05-06.

Oh and P.P.S. my local auto electric guy drives a Badlands and hooked me up with the local Bronco club. I've offered to lead them on some snow and trail rides but they've mostly declined.... don't fit on the trail or don't want to risk such an expensive vehicle. They mostly drive out on the beach and take pictures.

I'd go 97-98 vs 2006.

Earlier TJs are much much simpler...one cat, two O2s instead of the dual cats and 4 O2s. Simpler evap system.

Earlier TJs weren't Rubicons but that's ok because you can install a Super 30/35 kit with e-lockers and arguably have more reliable, simpler lockers and strong enough for 35s axles.

2005-2006s had endemic PCM issues requiring a WranglerFix replacement.

And finally the 97s have AX-15 manual transmissions...if you want a stick this is what folks want and they're still available new from Novak and Advanced Adapters.

-Mac

P.S. My wife smashed into my 97 and folded it up good...I frame and tub swapped it in eight days for less than $1500. I challenge anyone to beat or meet that with a 05-06.

Oh and P.P.S. my local auto electric guy drives a Badlands and hooked me up with the local Bronco club. I've offered to lead them on some snow and trail rides but they've mostly declined.... don't fit on the trail or don't want to risk such an expensive vehicle. They mostly drive out on the beach and take pictures.

Don't forget the 241 tcase. Not cheap.

The price difference between a 2022 Bronco and a 1997 TJ leaves a lot of funds for upgrades! Like an Atlas.....and tonz and fodeez?

But in all seriousness, I agree with several of the others. Really consider your driving style and needs. A JL may very well be more relevant for what you are looking for, or even a later JK. Every vehicle will have it's issues, even a TJ. But at least with a little older vehicle they are typically well documented on quality forums along with treatments, upgrades, and repairs.

IF you are settled and really want a TJ, you may be more in the market for an LJ. The size difference between a TJ and new Bronco is insane, so you might want to keep as much space as possible. You ask about price and they are all over the place. There have been several threads the past couple days of $30k TJs and LJs which is absurd. A decent TJ/LJ Rubicon could reasonably be had in the $15k range, but you may have to search far and wide and be patient. You might pay more and you might pay less, and that really depends on you. You aren't likely to hop online or go to a nearby dealer and find what you want right now.

The price difference between a 2022 Bronco and a 1997 TJ leaves a lot of funds for upgrades! Like an Atlas.....and tonz and fodeez?

But in all seriousness, I agree with several of the others. Really consider your driving style and needs. A JL may very well be more relevant for what you are looking for, or even a later JK. Every vehicle will have it's issues, even a TJ. But at least with a little older vehicle they are typically well documented on quality forums along with treatments, upgrades, and repairs.

IF you are settled and really want a TJ, you may be more in the market for an LJ. The size difference between a TJ and new Bronco is insane, so you might want to keep as much space as possible. You ask about price and they are all over the place. There have been several threads the past couple days of $30k TJs and LJs which is absurd. A decent TJ/LJ Rubicon could reasonably be had in the $15k range, but you may have to search far and wide and be patient. You might pay more and you might pay less, and that really depends on you. You aren't likely to hop online or go to a nearby dealer and find what you want right now.

In that regard find an LS swapped LJ for considerably less than a Bronco.

I offered @NashvilleTJ KBB value on his and he turned down my $12,585 offer. ;)

Seems reasonable? He must've been like "don't lowball me, I know what I've got." 🙄 I mean it's been cut up and modified, barely has any original parts, and I bet it gets bad gas mileage. Everyone knows those things kill the value, plus you never get your money back on modifications.

What are your intentions for the vehicle, and what are your driving habits?

I only ask, because there is a HUGE difference between a New Bronco and a TJ.

I love the TJ's for my purposes, however I'm not entirely sure I could willingly step out of a 2022 'offroad capable' vehicle, and into a TJ.
There's just too large of a gap between the two.

If we were talking Bronco vs Jeep JL , the conversation would be quite simple.

But when talking a TJ, It's just MANY more aspects to consider, rather than the TJ being "more simple".
They're two completely different vehicles.

Yes, I understand in many ways it's a step down, maybe one I should have considered before. I drive a 2013 F-150 Crew Cab 6.5 bed, it's a long truck, and my wife drives a 2018 Ford Flex, do you see a trend?🤣 I love my Fords, but I think too many new vehicles have been overwhelmed with electronics that can deem them problematic which is the issue with the Bronco. It was very capable off road, I could easily hang with stock or slightly modified Wranglers on most if not all trails, but the Jeeps are more analog in a good way, you can shift directly via mechanical lever into 4x4 and low, they have a real cable for the parking/e-brake, the Bronco does not. It would be a third vehicle for us, one to use on mountain trips and as a back-up if one of our other vehicles was down (which have 115K and 207K miles). It would also be there to teach our kids how to drive a manual. Our daughter has already been on the Bronco a bit and done reasonably well. The vehicle is not for her, it's for us, but she'll drive it until we get another vehicle specificially for her. In about 15 months, I had wheeled in the Bronco in GA, TN and FL in numerous places, most notably Hardrock Off Road Park in Ocala, FL. So nothing super serious as living in Florida doesn't make for any super extreme terrains. So sum up, third vehicle, train kids to drive manual, and to have fun , but not necessarily as a daily driver. I apologize, I should have stated my uses before. Maybe an earlier TJ would be better based on some other responses.

I think the 2004 TJ Rubicon is the best year model and make of the TJ. Doesn’t have the computer and OPDA issues or the stupid Daimler NSG370 behind it that the 2005 had. Doesn’t have the Cracked heads problem that some earlier year TJ’s had.

A 2004 TJR with low mileage, clean frame probably $15-17k in todays market, but it really depends on where you are.

I have owned Fords my entire life as my family has. We have never had any issues with Ford standing by their products.

We bought our 99 Sahara for my wife to use as a commuter vehicle. It is what she wanted. Our TJ gets driven about 60 miles a week.

Comparing new with old, it's the little things. Decent cup holders, back up camera, AC that was an option on TJ/JK Wranglers and hands free calling are all things that were must haves on our Sahara. I got the AC but had to add the other things.

When buying used, the more specific you are with what you want, the smaller the pool of available vehicles.

I wanted: Unmodified, 6 cylinder, AT, AC, light color, hardtop, airbags. I looked at many Wranglers, TJ's and JK's before I settled on our 99. I am sure I overpaid, but I got what I wanted. New paint, no rust and mechanically sound were also bonus points.

Good luck in your search.

I've been driving a TJ for 26 years now. Latest is a 2006 Rubicon/6 speed manual. If all you will be using one for is off-roading, then fine. The TJ is not a good highway vehicle, especially in the mountains. That straight six that just won't stall while idling over rock ledges runs out of steam trying to keep up with traffic on mountain passes. And a full day in the TJ can be hard to take...they are not very comfortable; if you take family along it is cramped. But very reliable.

For two years I researched going to a JL Jeep for the better ride and better highway manners. But all the problems I read about with the new Jeep electronics scared me...if anything, the new Jeep electronics problems are as bad as if not worse than the new Bronco. If you want a reliable ride that still has some good off-road capability, go with the Toyota 4Runner.

By the way, the 2016 F150 with 3.5 Ecoboost I bought new will be 8 years old come May. It has never been in the shop for any reason. All I do is change oil/filters and rotate the tires.

My 2.5EB Fusion has 180k on it. One WP and one brake caliper, otherwise regular maintenance.