Loosening tension belt

MrOceanMan

Can someone please explain to me how it is I go about loosening my tension belt? Trying to replace the alternator on my 2000 TJ 4.0 (see photo for reference)

602ED47F-DE79-436C-B3CE-27037C1F8D10.jpeg

Can someone please explain to me how it is I go about loosening my tension belt? Trying to replace the alternator on my 2000 TJ 4.0 (see photo for reference)

View attachment 219316
Between power steering pump and engine block you will find tension bolt . Spray kroil on threads and nut underneath . 9/16 or 15 mm I think . Loosen until belt comes off . I think counter clockwise ,can’t remember. If rusted go a little each way adding kroil until free.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Between power steering pump and engine block you will find tension bolt . Spray kroil on threads and nut underneath . 9/16 or 15 mm I think . Loosen until belt comes off . I think counter clockwise ,can’t remember. If rusted go a little each way adding kroil until free.
My 2000 TJ parts guide indicates it has the screw-driven kind of belt tensioner you describe and as my '97 had. But from his photo in post #1 it sure looks like he has the type of power steering bracket that indicates the belt tensioning job is instead handled by an automatic spring-based belt tensioner as shown in post #2.

Reactions: Moon Eyes
Yes Jerry according to the picture #2 , that sure does look like a spring tensioner. My 98 tj 4.0 was a threaded tensioner.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
If it does have the screw type tensioner...don't forget to loosen the bolt that holds the pulley on before trying to screw in or out on the tensioner screw. Don't have to loosen it a lot.

Reactions: Moon Eyes