Losing power and jerking while accelerating

I completely messed up. It has the correct NTK #23506 upstream 02 sensor.
Keep getting confused with the Bosch fuel pump. Sorry for the confusion.
I absolutely know to use NTK 02 sensor.

One other symptom, after driving 50 miles or so as i roll thru a residential street at say 20 mph or so the rpms will rise and fall, rise and fall, maybe 50-100 rpm, rather subtley, does this sound like a dirty throttle body?
Going to clean that today.

These symptoms only present after extended driving. Only presents after prolonged driving and the motor runs at perfect 200* temp.

KC you ever find a fix for this hesitation you were seeing? Replaced my aging battery yesterday and today I seem to be getting a similar hesitation around 2k RPM in first gear. Only difference is this is when my engine is cold.

Reactions: KCsTJ
KC you ever find a fix for this hesitation you were seeing? Replaced my aging battery yesterday and today I seem to be getting a similar hesitation around 2k RPM in first gear. Only difference is this is when my engine is cold.
I think i have, seems to be an intermittent gas issue. I am going to remove the throttle body tomorrow and clean it thoroughly.

I also have another Mopar TPS that is used but good and I'm going to reinstall that Saturday and will post results in about a week or as soon as i know since I don't want to try 2 things at the same time then not know which one fixed it.😯

Reactions: JeepZilla380
I think i have, seems to be an intermittent gas issue. I am going to remove the throttle body tomorrow and clean it thoroughly.

I also have another Mopar TPS that is used but good and I'm going to reinstall that Saturday and will post results in about a week or as soon as i know since I don't want to try 2 things at the same time then not know which one fixed it.😯
Update: JeepZilla380
TPS replaced and so far test drives are all positive. No misses whatsoever. Both TPS were Mopar - why one works fine and one intermittently fails is beyond me.

Frustrating thing is the symptoms could mimic electrical or gas problem. And with no CELs, that's no help.
Any progress on your 2000rpm miss?

Last edited:
same thing happened to me last month.....would lose power for a split second....gauges all pegged down... didn't effect dash lights or headlights though...it did it at all speeds and temps, but went away the next day.....I replaced coil rail and cleaned some grounds just because and it hasn't happened since curious as to your fix if you get one

same thing happened to me last month.....would lose power for a split second....gauges all pegged down... didn't effect dash lights or headlights though...it did it at all speeds and temps, but went away the next day.....I replaced coil rail and cleaned some grounds just because and it hasn't happened since curious as to your fix if you get one
Did yours ever throw a CEL?
Mine never did.
My gauges never bounced. I have a 97 so no coil rail to troubleshoot. I think this TPS went bad but not bad enough to throw a CEL.
All I did was replace the TPS I removed initially as a NooB jeep owner before i determined it needed the right 02 sensor.
Drove fine today, no miss, I will call it officially solved after a week of no engine miss.

no cel at all.....it did it 5 times on my 20 highway drive to work and 8 or 9 times on my way back home...so I said screw this drove the old ladys rig to work the next couple of days...then drove into town sat. and it hasn't happened since...really really wish it would have thrown a cel so I could at least track it down

no cel at all.....it did it 5 times on my 20 highway drive to work and 8 or 9 times on my way back home...so I said screw this drove the old ladys rig to work the next couple of days...then drove into town sat. and it hasn't happened since...really really wish it would have thrown a cel so I could at least track it down
Is your TPS old? I wonder if your TPS is bad, they do seem to have a shelf life. With no CEL it's hard to say but your intermittent miss could be from a TPS that is bad or is going bad.

I am still chasing down something similar to this. New Mopar TPS didn't help. I did just put new Mopar cap, rotor and plug wires in and it seems a little better. Fun chasing down gremlins, huh?

Update: JeepZilla380
TPS replaced and so far test drives are all positive. No misses whatsoever. Both TPS were Mopar - why one works fine and one intermittently fails is beyond me.

Frustrating thing is the symptoms could mimic electrical or gas problem. And with no CELs, that's no help.
Any progress on your 2000rpm miss?

Well... I had pulled and replaced the battery last week, and the next day I noticed the hesitation. Out for a ride yesterday and it’s gone?!? One possible cause; I’ve been running the tank down lower lately trying to time a fill up with lift availability at my buddies shop for the gas overflow fix. Maybe ran some trash through the lines? I’ll keep monitoring and report back any changes.

rehashing an old post, and jotted down the advice that has been posted, but thought I would toss in what my '01 2.5L wrangler is doing.

Just got it Monday 1/25/21 with a supposed rebuilt engine, but had a check engine light on. Idle was rough, some stalling. Had the light scanned and came up O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2. So while i was at the parts store I ordered the sensor, NTK of course as i had googled the engine symptons and everyone under the sun said NTK lol.

Went to change the sensor and noticed that the plug in wasn't connected all the way, so i plugged it back in and started the Jeep. Engine light was gone and idle was spot on, with the exception of a very slight "cough" every once in awhile. Figured a tune up may fix this. Anyway, go to drive it, just leave the drive and the engine light comes back on....

With the exception of a random super rough idle here and there (not all the time) she ran and drove really really well. This was a short trip, maybe 4-6 blocks in stop/go type of setting.
Get home, idle seems to be getting better, so thought maybe tune-up and run it for a bit as the previous owner stated it had set since last summer.

I decided after dinner to take take her for a longer run and stretch her legs a bit. Leave the house and all seems fine going through town. idle is getting better, good acceleration, etc. Cruise through town (25mph-35mph areas, stop and go) and all seems great. Head out of town to wind her up a bit (55mph) and that's when the bucking and lose of power starts. No sooner get out of town and just total loss of power....the farther i push the gas pedal the more she bogs down, but will stay running.

I limp her home, foot barely on the pedal, can barely get mid range in 3rd.....and shut her off once in the driveway. About half hour later, go out and fire her up and she's idling fine. take off again and around town seems back to normal.
Now, i still have the check engine light, which i will be getting checked today and go from there. The O2 sensor in it just may be bad afterall, but after reading through this thread I'm no wondering if it could be TPS also. guess I will see what code or codes is on it now that the light is back on and go from there.

Not sure if your model has one but the symptoms you describe sound the same as my 4.0 when the Crankshaft Position Sensor to a crap put a new mopar on problem solved

JeepZilla, did you ever find a fix for your issue? Mine is the exact same and happens when the motor is cold, right at 2k RPMs.
No, it’s still really intermittent and hasn’t occurred now in weeks. I did pull the fuel rail and install some heat shielding. I had a TPS on order that Amazon nicely cancelled for me based on lack of availability.