Loud thumbing noise while turning and noise when shifting

tennant

TJ Enthusiast
Hello,

When I make a turn (especially to the right) i hear a loud noise like a thump. Also, when I shift, I hear some noise underneath... it sounds like when you slam the seat clunking noise.

I would also check torque on the control arms.

Reactions: tennant
Is the clunk anytime you shift gears or every now and then? Could be a coincidence.

I would check out your sway bar links. There should be no play in the ends. Mine was clunking when going over any major bumps and when I took the links off one of the ball joints was toast.

yes. it seems like a noise when i go over bumps like i just hit the underneath kind of like tapping an empty can. and when i turn my wheel sounds the same

should i buy the parts or have a shop buy?

Did you do a dry steering test and confirm the joints are the issue? (wiggle raised tire and check for play for ball joints) Throwing parts at the jeep can get pricey in quick order.

If you're talking about ball joints rock auto probably has what you're looking for.

if its a tapping or rattling sound you could save a bunch of money by doing what @Alex01 suggests and while you are at it look at the sway bar end links and shock mounts, if the rubber bushings at the ends of either of these are loose worn or missing it will rattle. shocks and end links are easy to change, ball joints a little harder depending on your tools and skills.

Reactions: Alex01
Do the sway bar links yourself. Be prepared to have to cut them off if they are giving you trouble. I used a ball joint puller to remove the top part of the links from the sway bar as it is a tapered bolt that goes through them. Then, if the top bolt spins while you try tightening it down on the new one, I used a crow bar against the bottom of the grill to put downwards pressure on the sway bar and that allowed me to tighten it all the way.

After I figured all of this out, I had them replaced in under an hour.