Love my TJ but hate the seats

Baltimoreed

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ripley [the name I’ve given to my Tj ] has perfectly fine oem seats in her but... the backs are way too short for me at 6’4 so I’ve got no headrest contact at all. I would love to use a seat from my ‘13 Edge which is very comfortable and has a good headrest but I’m sure it wouldn’t fit. Anybody have any suggestions for an aftermarket Tj seat [$300.00 -400.00 each] for nice ones that are tall enough to fit [235 lb] me. Ripley is just going to be a retired driver Jeep, no off roading I’m afraid. I’ve seen videos of the carnage. Sad. Oh, and they need to have some red on them. Picky ain’t I. Hoping to sell all three nice oem seats to offset the replacement costs.

Last edited:
The two companies I see on here that are recommended the most are PRP and Corbeau. The PRP daily driver seats are quite popular.

https://www.prpseats.com/
https://corbeau.com/
Both companies offer tall, extra tall, and/or wide options on a lot of their seats.

You might also consider switching to the 03-06 style seat brackets, which sit 1” lower than the 97-02 seats

Reactions: MallCrawlOnTons
Not sure what year your TJ is. But you can direct swap 03-06 seats into a 97-02. and the backs are much larger. Just make sure you use the entire brackets from the 03-06 seats. As you can't swap brackets between early and late model TJ seats. Meaning whichever year seats you use you have to stick with the brackets that came with the seats. The 03-06 run about $400 used. And are a huge upgrade from the 97-02 seats.

I'd also consider Misch Big Boy brackets. to get yourself an extra 4inches to the rear with the seats. Gives you much more legroom.

Not sure what year your TJ is. But you can direct swap 03-06 seats into a 97-02. and the backs are much larger. Just make sure you use the entire brackets from the 03-06 seats. As you can't swap brackets between early and late model TJ seats. Meaning whichever year seats you use you have to stick with the brackets that came with the seats. The 03-06 run about $400 used. And are a huge upgrade from the 97-02 seats.
I considered my '04 seats a downgrade from the seats that came in my '97. 2003 and newer seats also position you about an inch lower which made it harder for me to see out. I hated my '04 seats enough that I replaced them with PRP suspension seats.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I also replaced my factory 06 seats with a complete set of PRP daily driver seats. They are fully customizable fabrics, color, etc. They are easy to get in and out of, and super comfortable.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Reactions: strumble8
I run Mastercraft Baja RS seats. They aren't particularly cheap, but if you want a reclining seat that still tilts up for access to the back seat, these are nice.