Low mileage LJ

This is the third similar LJ I have seen for sale in the 27.5-30k range. Beautiful Jeeps, but they are not selling at that price.

Reactions: suicideking
This is the third similar LJ I have seen for sale in the 27.5-30k range. Beautiful Jeeps, but they are not selling at that price.

Blame this on the FB groups.
The amount of "what is my jeep worth" posts DAILY on there, followed by the most over-inflated numbers I've ever seen. :ROFLMAO:

There's people who want to sell their vehicle, then there's people who want to make a profit from dummies.
I'll let you click the link again, and guess which is which.

Nice, as close to new as you could get ?? Have you priced a new Jeep, Bronco or truck lately ??

Of course they are not the same, but bidenflation has caused most everything to rise in price.
No I am not going to buy a $30K LJ any more than I am going to buy a $85K Ford F250.
But it is not completely crazy for someone to pay $20-30K for a pristine LJ that they were going to keep for a long time.

Last edited:
Nice, as close to new as you could get ?? Have you priced a new Jeep, Bronco or truck lately ??

I think the TJ Purism is showing a little.

New Jeeps are extremely expensive, yes. (40k+)
However, I cannot be convinced in ANY world that a TJ is equal to the modern quality/amenities/performance of a new JL.

Both are wranglers, and both are extremely similar in their own rights, but it's just simply not an apples to apples comparison.

-
-

My mother-in-law has a 2023 JL , and I have a 2006 LJ.
Although they are VERY similar to each other, the JL is just a whole different beast.

I'm willing to admit that it outperforms my LJ in every aspect, aside from 'easy to work on'.
Which still, the JL is relatively easy to work on.

To compare a TJ/LJ to the newer lineup is nothing more than clouded judgement & personal bias.

Last edited:

However, I cannot be convinced in ANY world that a TJ is equal to the modern quality/amenities/performance of a new JL.

Both are wranglers, and both are extremely similar in their own rights, but it's just simply not an apples to apples comparison.

-
-

Although they are VERY similar to each other, the JL is just a whole different beast.

I'm willing to admit that it outperforms my LJ in every aspect, aside from 'easy to work on'.

To compare a TJ/LJ to the newer lineup is nothing more than clouded judgement & personal bias.

The difference between an LJ and JL is that the LJ is much better for wheeling. The JL is a better DD. During the last year, I have been on medium difficulty trails with two different JL's that went into limp mode. One was a 392, the other was the 3.6. The 3.6 had to be towed back to camp, the owner didn't want to go wheeling the next morning. Rode with someone else. At least the 392 was only in limp mode for around 15 minutes.

The owner of the 392 JL, former TJ owner, was 50/50 on getting an LJ. Has since gotten frustrated with the 392 and bought an LJ a couple months ago. He also didn't like being on 40's and still being the guy getting stuck all the time. Never got stuck in his TJ.

The newest I would consider for actually wheeling is the JK if you must have 4 doors or power windows. They seem to be relatively problem free. I know someone who has a built JK 2 door owned by a mechanic listed for $23K and hasn't sold in 3+ months. Could probably get a decent JK with lower miles for around $20K or less.

Blame this on the FB groups.
The amount of "what is my jeep worth" posts DAILY on there, followed by the most over-inflated numbers I've ever seen. :ROFLMAO:

There's people who want to sell their vehicle, then there's people who want to make a profit from dummies.
I'll let you click the link again, and guess which is which.

Not only that but everyone tells everyone else to stop selling at real prices so theirs will hold their inflated value. Sorry, that isn't how it works, stop it.

But it is not completely crazy for someone to pay $20-30K for a pristine LJ that they were going to keep for a long time.
It would be had the pandemic money not totally hosed the used car market. I just got a notice the other day that a popular Jeep body company finally worked through their orders for 700 flat fender bodies that were placed during the pandemic and were now caught up to the point they are back to semi-normal lead times.

The difference between an LJ and JL is that the LJ is much better for wheeling. The JL is a better DD. During the last year, I have been on medium difficulty trails with two different JL's that went into limp mode. One was a 392, the other was the 3.6. The 3.6 had to be towed back to camp, the owner didn't want to go wheeling the next morning. Rode with someone else. At least the 392 was only in limp mode for around 15 minutes.

The owner of the 392 JL, former TJ owner, was 50/50 on getting an LJ. Has since gotten frustrated with the 392 and bought an LJ a couple months ago. He also didn't like being on 40's and still being the guy getting stuck all the time. Never got stuck in his TJ.

The newest I would consider for actually wheeling is the JK if you must have 4 doors or power windows. They seem to be relatively problem free. I know someone who has a built JK 2 door owned by a mechanic listed for $23K and hasn't sold in 3+ months. Could probably get a decent JK with lower miles for around $20K or less.

He needs to get over some of the aspects of that Rubihara and stop being silly about some things.

-
-

It is a regional thing. If you put the JL next to the TJ Unlimited on some of the trails in this part of the world, your opinion would be different.

The vast majority of new Wranglers sold are not purchased to be taken offroad and used to their capability.

A very small percentage of new Wranglers sold are modified to be serious offroad capable.

Most highly modified Wranglers were bought by their current owners from the used market are already modified or are to be modified.

I doubt anyone on this board would pay 30k for a bone stock used TJ.

In 37 years, Jeep has sold over 5 million Wranglers.

Compare any other model vehicle that was sold in 1986 that is still being sold in 2024. No comparison. On every metric, the new vehicle is better.

I think @mrblaine and @bmcgc have valid points, in that it really depends on one's use and intent for the vehicle. But I think a huge flaw in their thinking with the price is that the same people that want a clean, stock Jeep are the one's willing to spend $30k. But the ones that really need/want a TJ platform probably plan to build it and don't want a $30k starting point. And those that are willing to spend $30k for a clean Jeep don't plan to modify it and would rather have a newer, more modern JK or JL.

But we see the same thing outside of Jeeps. People want $30k+ for a 20+ year old diesel truck with 200k miles. And I understand the desire for a pre-DEF diesel and "200k is nothing for a diesel" but the fact of the matter is that 20 years and 200k miles wears on everything, not just the engine. I guess this is just the market we're stuck with for the time being though?

I think @mrblaine and @bmcgc have valid points, in that it really depends on one's use and intent for the vehicle. But I think a huge flaw in their thinking with the price is that the same people that want a clean, stock Jeep are the one's willing to spend $30k. But the ones that really need/want a TJ platform probably plan to build it and don't want a $30k starting point. And those that are willing to spend $30k for a clean Jeep don't plan to modify it and would rather have a newer, more modern JK or JL.

But we see the same thing outside of Jeeps. People want $30k+ for a 20+ year old diesel truck with 200k miles. And I understand the desire for a pre-DEF diesel and "200k is nothing for a diesel" but the fact of the matter is that 20 years and 200k miles wears on everything, not just the engine. I guess this is just the market we're stuck with for the time being though?

If there were a market for 30k, 20 year old Wranglers, these would be selling.

I can spend the same 30k and buy a much newer Wrangler with more options and amenities.

There is a giant market for 5-10k Wranglers. A nice Wrangler in that price range usually sells the day it is posted, sometimes it sells less than an hour after it is posted.

The consumer, not the seller, sets the price.

Reactions: bbaldwin237
If there were a market for 30k, 20 year old Wranglers, these would be selling.

I can spend the same 30k and buy a much newer Wrangler with more options and amenities.

There is a giant market for 5-10k Wranglers. A nice Wrangler in that price range usually sells the day it is posted, sometimes it sells less than an hour after it is posted.

The consumer, not the seller, sets the price.

Exactly!

Maybe this one is like when a contractor gives someone the "f**k off" price because they don't want the job! lol Like his wife told him he needs to sell it so he listed it super high to say that he's trying! 🤣

Nice, as close to new as you could get ??

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-jeep-wrangler-195/

1708282181647.png

I have a friend with a wealthy grandfather that bought a TJR in 2004 or 2005 that he used, abused, and loved. He found out that the TJ was ending in 2006, so he went and bought an identical TJR that he prepped and stored in a shipping container behind his businesses office. Around 2011 or so he decided it was time to break out the new one and rolled a brand new 2006 Rubicon out. lol (Now he has JLR's and JKR's. One is on tractor tires) That's about the only way I can figure someone would have a 700 mile TJR!?

Edit: Tractor tire JK
FB_IMG_1708282766042.jpg