Low mileage LJ

Too much weight for that single axle trailer.

Not necessarily. They make 7,000lb+ single axle trailers.

The man is over 80 and owned his own engineering business for about 60 years, I trust he knows how to select the equipment he needs for his application. And plus, if I had to guess, knowing him, this is either all on one of his own pieces of property, or just to get it across town from one farm to the next.

It is a regional thing. If you put the JL next to the TJ Unlimited on some of the trails in this part of the world, your opinion would be different.

This is true as well.

Modified to equal degrees, the TJ is simply "better" for trails.
In my opinion, the simplicity of the TJ is what makes that difference, and one could even mention weight/length/etc into the mix.

However, here in Colorado it's not uncommon to make 2-3 hour interstate drives (even 6-8 hours to MOAB), onto the trails, then back home.
THAT is where the JL shines, as all of the 'modern ammenities' make that part of the trip better.

I guess I would see the JL better utilized as an 'overland offroad' style rig, whereas the TJ can just be abused and keep pushing.

But similar to what I just said, an issue in the JL on the trail can quickly turn into a LOT more of an issue, than an issue in the TJ otherwise would.

There's a lot of fancy electrical gizmo's on the JL, that if broken would leave you stuck high and dry.
Whereas the TJ/LJ platform can easily be limped home.

-
-

We rented some 2023 Rubicons after my wedding for the family. (simple 3" lifts, 35's, etc.)
Those things blew my mind how capable they were, and not only capable, but doing fairly technical crawling with no real effort.

Drove 100 round miles to the trails, handled 80 on the interstate like any other vehicle, and crawled the hell out of the trails.

However, that trip was fun because nothing broke. And there is a LOT of stuff on the JL's that can break.
I did constantly have the lingering thought of 'IF something breaks, we're in pretty deep shit'

Last edited:
1708364220351.png

There is cheaper transportation available: "motorcycle" offered for sale at $150 !!

• Wow
Reactions: tworley
Not how I would store a GW, but I have had a couple with the flat 4. Great engine and a great bike.