Lower front control arm bolt hits the differential and I can't get it out

89grand

TJ Addict
I was going to swap out my trashed front lower controls arms and I can't get the front drivers side bolt out, as it hits the front diff before the bolt is out. There is plenty of room on the passenger side, but I feel like even if I manage to get it out, and I'm not sure I can, I won't be able to get it back in.

1102191617_HDR.jpg

Was there enough flex in the bushing to push it lower and get it out?
I just had to wiggle the arm around some while trying to get the bolt out, and then, it just came right out. Had to do the same thing to get it back in.

Overall, this was very easy. I've heard of people using ratchet straps and shit to pull the axle forward to get the bolt holes to line up, but I did something I think is a lot easier. I did the front first, then when rears wouldn't line up, I just chocked the front tire, started the Jeep and put it in reverse, then put the parking brake on, and it lined up perfectly, so I slid the bolt in, then put the Jeep back in park and shut it off. Took a few seconds rather than dicking with a ratchet strap.

It doesn’t look like you had room on the opposite side in this case, but I’ve flipped a number of my bolts to make future work easier.

The one that comes to mind right now is the passenger rear UCA bolt that hits the muffler. I had to ratchet that more than I was comfortable with and then flipped it with my savvy control arm install. When I need to service them in 10 years I think I’ll thank past me.

I just had to wiggle the arm around some while trying to get the bolt out, and then, it just came right out. Had to do the same thing to get it back in.

Overall, this was very easy. I've heard of people using ratchet straps and shit to pull the axle forward to get the bolt holes to line up, but I did something I think is a lot easier. I did the front first, then when rears wouldn't line up, I just chocked the front tire, started the Jeep and put it in reverse, then put the parking brake on, and it lined up perfectly, so I slid the bolt in, then put the Jeep back in park and shut it off. Took a few seconds rather than dicking with a ratchet strap.
We always flip them around and put the bolt in from the outside. There is no need for them to continue to be a pain in the ass.

We always flip them around and put the bolt in from the outside. There is no need for them to continue to be a pain in the ass.
I probably should have. Once I realized I had to wiggle shit around, it wasn't hard to get it out or back in, but if I have to take these off again for any reason, I'll swap the bolt and nuts around. The motor mounts seem to have this issue, but much worse as well. I wonder why the factory put some of this stuff together this way.