Lower radiator hose leak

Travis

TJ Enthusiast
For about the last week I have started to smell coolant, and yesterday I saw the first evidence of a leak. I got to investigating and seen that the lower hose has sprung a leak. The radiator itself looks to be in good condition and all the other hoses appear to be as well. My question is, should I replace both hoses, thermostat and gasket while I'm at it? Is this a 'leave well enough alone' type situation, or a 'might as well' one?

My question is, should I replace both hoses, thermostat and gasket while I'm at it?

I certainly would replace them at the same time, it sounds like it's time for a cooling system overhaul.

By the way, make sure you're using the factory radiator hose clamp, as the aftermarket worm gear types are prone to causing leaks.

You can also find more info here: Jeep Wrangler TJ Cooling System Overhaul FAQ

I certainly would replace them at the same time, it sounds like it's time for a cooling system overhaul.

By the way, make sure you're using the factory radiator hose clamp, as the aftermarket worm gear types are prone to causing leaks.

I have been considering a cooling system overhaul & have read thru that entire thread on a couple different occasions. I've had a hard time justifying it in my mind since the radiator is in good condition, although it is 18 years old and probably due for a change.

I actually already have the whole list you provided in that thread in my Amazon cart. Now that the lower hose has gone bad, maybe it is time to pull the trigger on all of that..

I have been considering a cooling system overhaul & have read thru that entire thread on a couple different occasions. I've had a hard time justifying it in my mind since the radiator is in good condition, although it is 18 years old and probably due for a change.

Oh yeah... at 18 years old, you're vehicle needs a cooling system overhaul. Those parts are just waiting to fail on you, so it's probably a really good idea in terms of preventive maintenance. Even though the radiator may be in good condition, constant heat cycles and age eventually take their toll.

I actually already have the whole list you provided in that thread in my Amazon cart. Now that the lower hose has gone bad, maybe it is time to pull the trigger on all of that..

If you can afford to do it, I would. It's something I'd always encourage doing before Summer rolls around and the hot temps start. In my experience, cooling system failures is one of the number one reason vehicles end up stranded on the side of the road.

Reactions: Travis
I'm going to have to wait on the radiator for now, but the hoses need replaced now, so I ordered them along with the thermostat and gasket. Now, I feel silly for asking, but, should there be coolant visible in the radiator when the cap is removed? I have just been adding to the overflow for the last couple of days & don't know how much coolant is actually supposed to be inside the radiator. I read a post on the "other" Jeep forum from 2011 that @Jerry Bransford posted about cleaning the old t-stat gasket off to sugical condition, thanks for the tip & thanks for imparting your knowledge to all of us newbies for all these years!

Inspect the lower hose for spring coil rib inside
Use the expansion clips instead of hose clamps
Change the t-stat instead of just cleaning the gaskets
Don't worry about too much fluid, it will just spit the rest when it is at max high temp
I bought the standard radiators on mine, aluminum/plastic type easy and cheap if it breaks down

Last edited:
Reactions: greenliftedtj97
All Hoses should be changed at the same time including heater hoses. They are all the same age. The rest is optional, good maintenance, but where do you stop? Tstat? Radiator? Water pump? Do all that and you still got the original heater core that I never see recommended as maintenance.

Yeah if you don't know if/when the water pump has been replaced, you might as well add that into the mix while you have everything out. Also inspect your belt and see if you should be replacing that too while its out.

Inspect the lower hose for spring coil inside
Use the expansion clips instead of hose clamps
Change the t-stat instead of just cleaning the gaskets
Don't worry about too much fluid, it will just spit the rest when it is at max high temp
I bought the standard radiators on mine, aluminum/plastic type easy and cheap if it breaks down
What is a spring coil in the lower hose?
Travis, how many miles on your in line 6 cylinder?

If the lower hose vacuums, it will not collapse the rubber hose if there is a rib.
Without the spring rib, the hose will collapse and coolant flow will be deprived.
I may called it weird but go down there and pinch the lower hose.

If like me coinage was a an issue Id replace the upper and lower hoses (cheap as chips and easy to do) and start saving the dollars for a new Radiator and water pump and Thermostat and fit all those at once.....It worked well for me, plus its something and back yard mechanic can handle.

Travis have u considered a valve job? A few more bolts and brackets ,pull the head and for maybe $300? Basically a new head, renews the engine, if u have a couple down weeks...

Parts are in, just got the hoses for now. Looks like I'm going to freeze my ass off getting them replaced this weekend. I assume it shouldnt take too long, but this is the Jeep I'm talking about..Is it requires to use the HOAT coolant? That stuff is pricey.
If like me coinage was a an issue Id replace the upper and lower hoses (cheap as chips and easy to do) and start saving the dollars for a new Radiator and water pump and Thermostat and fit all those at once.....It worked well for me, plus its something and back yard mechanic can handle.
I'm saving for the radiator and water pump, the the new t-stat and gasket yesterday. I'll take your advice and fit them all at once. Did you replace the t-stat housing as well?
Travis have u considered a valve job? A few more bolts and brackets ,pull the head and for maybe $300? Basically a new head, renews the engine, if u have a couple down weeks...
I've never heard of this, I'd like some details please.

Parts are in, just got the hoses for now. Looks like I'm going to freeze my ass off getting them replaced this weekend. I assume it shouldnt take too long, but this is the Jeep I'm talking about..Is it requires to use the HOAT coolant? That stuff is pricey.

I'm saving for the radiator and water pump, the the new t-stat and gasket yesterday. I'll take your advice and fit them all at once. Did you replace the t-stat housing as well?

I've never heard of this, I'd like some details please.
Sure, depending on how ambitious u feel, while you have the water pump, etc removed, you could remove the cyl head, a valve job would restore any lost compression, however if all 6 cylinders show good compression, you could wait, do it later