Lower radiator hose leak

In my case, just bot 97 2.5. Compression was within limits, even at 156k miles, however all plugs were bone white indicating a lean condition which makes the engine run hotter. Well I don't need that in the Texas summer so I pulled the head, complete valve job cost $200. Turns out white plugs most likely due to loose intake bolts. Be sure and get a Mopar head gasket btw!
I go to Dallas couple times a week-with 3.73 gears that screaming 2.5 runs all over Dallas like it owns it. :) it will actually run better than new cuz the machine shop removes a few thousands of an inch when they resurface the head (standard procedure) go for it my friend :)

Parts are in, just got the hoses for now. Looks like I'm going to freeze my ass off getting them replaced this weekend. I assume it shouldnt take too long, but this is the Jeep I'm talking about..Is it requires to use the HOAT coolant? That stuff is pricey.

I'm saving for the radiator and water pump, the the new t-stat and gasket yesterday. I'll take your advice and fit them all at once. Did you replace the t-stat housing as well?

I just did the Thermostat, the housing on mine looked fine. Was easy to get to once the Rad and Water pump was out. As for your hoses, mine were rusted tight and took me a couple hours, so I replaced the clamps as well....plus it made it look 'shiny' too lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Travis
In my case, just bot 97 2.5. Compression was within limits, even at 156k miles, however all plugs were bone white indicating a lean condition which makes the engine run hotter. Well I don't need that in the Texas summer so I pulled the head, complete valve job cost $200. Turns out white plugs most likely due to loose intake bolts. Be sure and get a Mopar head gasket btw!
I go to Dallas couple times a week-with 3.73 gears that screaming 2.5 runs all over Dallas like it owns it. :) it will actually run better than new cuz the machine shop removes a few thousands of an inch when they resurface the head (standard procedure) go for it my friend :)
That job may be a bit over my head..

The hoses are an easy Job @Travis ...just awkward places to get your hand into to release the clamps other than that its a piece of cake.

Radiator, water pump and Thermostat was more tricky but just bolts and more awkward bolt placement.

Reactions: KCsTJ
The hoses are an easy Job @Travis ...just awkward places to get your hand into to release the clamps other than that its a piece of cake.

Radiator, water pump and Thermostat was more tricky but just bolts and more awkward bolt placement.
I'm not worried about the hoses, but once I get the money for the rest of the system, that worries me a bit. I'm the kind of guy that has to mess something up a couple times before I get it right..

Reactions: KCsTJ and Kiwi TJ